Diet sodas. Yes or No?

Replies

• MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    I am anti-regular soda and anti-diet soda. I'm not going to lie, I do drink the occasional diet soda, but I don't think either one is better for you than the other. They are both terrible for your overall health. The only reason I would opt for the diet soda is to save myself the extra calories.
  • Franzibear
    Franzibear Posts: 41 Member
    Well, as many many many people have said, giving up soda altogether is the best choice. Whether or not it saves you from the health risk that is diet soda, or from the calories in real soda, it does one big thing: change your taste buds over time. Because soda is so sweet, you are used to things with tons of sugar/sweetener. Going off soda helps bring your taste buds back to recognizing sweet taste even if it is something not loaded with sugar altogether (fruit and such). At least that's what I've noticed!
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    All soda is not really good for you. Especially dark sodas. Regular has loads of sugar and calories and diet has the bad sweeteners. I think it's ok every once in a while, but not as a daily beverage.

My beverages of choice are water, tea, and once a week I'll have a diet coke or two.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    That's a big fat NO! from me. Aspartame = migraines for me, so I can't drink anything with that in it, including any crystal light type of stuff. I get drinks flavored with splenda or real sugar.

I don't drink much soda anymore but when I do, I drink Dos Equis.

I mean regular :blushing:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    I have no problem with artificial sweeteners, so I drink them. At least one a day. My niece gets migraines after consuming it, so she doesn't drink them.

I'm allergic to the glue on Bandaid brand bandages, so I buy Curad instead. I don't tell the world to stop using Bandaids.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    I have no problem with artificial sweeteners, so I drink them. At least one a day. My niece gets migraines after consuming it, so she doesn't drink them.

I'm allergic to the glue on Bandaid brand bandages, so I buy Curad instead. I don't tell the world to stop using Bandaids.

I love how reasonable you are.

I drink diet soda pretty regularly and it's never been a problem for me.

Mostly I just wish people would stop saying "Ew it has chemicals!" So dumb.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member

But ... but ... but ... chemicals!
    ;)

(If nothing else, alarmism is funny.)
  • fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    its a crock, diet soda doesn't make you hungry
    . doesn't store fat... I just went on a 3 day water fast, I only drunk water and it had no real effect, I felt a little more "lighter" and thats probably just because I hate water and didn't have as much fluid in me... but as any weight/health issues I.didn't see any.difference... Anyones only concern with drinking diet soda is are you comfortable consuming the faux sweetners. all this my trainner said drink real soda talk is just weird. one'd think you'd need a new trainer.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    It ain't gonna kill you any faster than breathing the air will.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member

I love how reasonable you are.

I drink diet soda pretty regularly and it's never been a problem for me.

Mostly I just wish people would stop saying "Ew it has chemicals!" So dumb.

Ew it has chemicals!!!Lo

Love you

I drink one or 2 a day

I am allergic to pineapple.... can we ban that?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member

Yes! Love your response!

I drink diet soda too. One a day, everything in moderation!
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    artifical sweetners = garbage IMO

I'd sooner have real sugar. Although it doesn't happen often.

Water is the only way to go if you want real results. And if you feel you need some flavour, which I do every so often. Get 100% real juice, mix with half water.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Agree to disagree. I've read plenty of well researched scientific facts about this. My best friend is a biochemist and studies this crap for a living. I also know that my grandmother was diagnosed with dementia and diabetes that the doctors directly correlated to her consistent use of Nutrisweet and other artificial sweeteners.

Food is always a topic of debate but I still believe that if you can't eat it living or raw, or by mildly heating it up without additional chemical processes, you probably shouldn't put it in your body. Oh and by the way, e. coli is a naturally occurring bacteria in the body but that doesn't mean we want to ADD any to our system! That is when people get sick and die.

Same premise with formaldehyde...
    Then you might want to stop eating altogether. Formaldehyde is a metabolic byproduct, and is also found in, meat, dairy, fruit, vegetables, grains, and fish, in much higher concentrations than you would get from a diet soda. As for aspartame, it's protein, and it's also found in much higher concentrations in many other food sources. In fact, 4 oz of chicken breast contain an equivalent of 25 cans of diet soda. As for dementia and diabetes, I'm sorry for your grandmother's health issues, but as any other scientist will tell you, correlation does not equal causation, and there are myriad other things that can cause those problems.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    artifical sweetners = garbage IMO

I'd sooner have real sugar. Although it doesn't happen often.

Water is the only way to go if you want real results. And if you feel you need some flavour, which I do every so often. Get 100% real juice, mix with half water.

OH NO! All my results are fake!!!

:sad:
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    Just wanted to know your thoughts on whether diet sodas were a good thing or not. Sure a regular soda has plenty of sugar, but at least you know what you're dealing with and so does your body. Diet sodas have sweeteners and supposed negative effects on your health.
    Have I answered my own question?

As the first person that responded said, there are studies that show these can make you hungry. Other than that, I still drink it occasionally. I think it's more about the amount and frequency than anything else. Predominately, I drink water but don't avoid caffiene like it's evil, but I don't drink it all day long anymore either. If it's a problem, and it sounds like you might be looking at that for you, then do what you have to. If it's a trigger then I'd consider doing something else.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Switched to diet soda after a 1 month break from pop in general.

I have now removed it from my diet because it is the only thing I can think of that really made me bloated and my food cravings started to change back to their old ways. Water started to taste gross and unappetizing. Now that I have been away from it for about a week it really feels like stuff is leveling out. Placebo effect? perhaps, but I find I am in tune with my body enough to know.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Read some SCIENCE people.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    I must admit that although I know all the cautions against diet soda, I still must have my Diet Coke in the afternoon. It's the only thing I have left! I've given up sugar, bad carbs, chips, most alcohol (will still have a glass of wine now and again) - I don't smoke or do any sort of drug. A gal's gotta have at least one vice, right? Anyway, I've cut back A LOT - used to drink several a day. Now I've replaced all but one with water and I do feel a lot better (a lot less gas, too!). I think, as with most things, moderation is the key. If you're drinking diet soda all day, you'll probably have to deal with the negative effects. But one a day - at least I hope - shouldn't hurt.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Read some SCIENCE people.

in support of or against diet pop? Last time I checked there is a scientific study out there proving whatever you want. But I am not a scientist...so who knows.
  • Devolucien
    Devolucien Posts: 55 Member
    Ingredients in Eggo Nutri Grain Waffles:

WATER, ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL), EGG WHITES, SUGAR, WHEAT BRAN, DEXTROSE, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SALT, CALCIUM CARBONATE, DRIED BLUEBERRIES, APPLE FIBER, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MALTODEXTRIN, CELLULOSE GUM, MALT FLAVORING, CITRIC ACID, WHEY, SOY LECITHIN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, BLUE #2 LAKE, RED #40 LAKE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12

Um, hello?? I think it's funny that people who bash soda or diet soda because of the "chemicals" would have this in their diary! This is just one example. Saw SO many more hypocritical diaries, lol!

I will have my one Pepsi One a day, thank you very much! Hasn't stopped my loss at all. :)

I'm amazed at how some people feel the need to personally attack others for their choices. The OP asked a question and I answered it with information I've read. I didn't say don't drink the ****, I gave information on what is in it and pointed out helpful suggestions for people who want soda but want to avoid the chemicals. I am not perfect nor do I always make perfect choices but if you were in my position of being broke and just having moved home, you'd also forgo your beliefs if it meant not eating over eating.

I think it's funny that you went to such great lengths to point out a shortcoming in another person. What does that say about the type of person you are? I am not preaching nor saying anything badly about people and their choices.

Think not only before you act and speak, but also before you type. Not only are you being rude and inconsiderate but you are intentionally hurting people without caring. Also, if you look at the rest of my diary you will see that for the most part I eat clean natural healthy organic home made/grown food.

So what, someone who strives to learn and choose the best path for them is not allowed to have mistakes and setbacks?

It is a terrible thing that our generation has lost the moral foundation of respect for others as well as any charm, ettiquette, or social graces.