How important is the post-workout protein?

Options
I've read that it would be beneficial to drink a protein shake right after working out.

Currently, I workout from 5 - 6 am, eat breakfast at 8 am, and have a protein shake for my mid-morning snack at 10:30 am. Am I doing myself a disservice by not having the protein shake right after working out? How important is this really? I am just trying to decide if I should flip my meals and have the protein shake before breakfast. (ps - breakfast is usually cereal/oats or yogurt with berries).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    That's not true. The 'anabolic window' is a myth.

You can ingest it at any time during the day.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've read two ways. 1.) Within 30 minutes to an hour you need protein to help "fill in" the muscles where you've expanded/injured them from working out. 2.) Eat better for 24 hours following an intense workout for recovery.

Personally, I usually eat some sort of protein bar within 30 minutes to an hour, just because I'm starving. :tongue: And then I usually have something else at home with protein. I have noticed that while I am sore the following day, it's not as bad as when I don't eat extra protein.

To each their own.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I've read that it would be beneficial to drink a protein shake right after working out.

Currently, I workout from 5 - 6 am, eat breakfast at 8 am, and have a protein shake for my mid-morning snack at 10:30 am. Am I doing myself a disservice by not having the protein shake right after working out? How important is this really? I am just trying to decide if I should flip my meals and have the protein shake before breakfast. (ps - breakfast is usually cereal/oats or yogurt with berries).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

To my knowledge the majority of research on this topic suggests that there's no urgency to drink a protein shake immediately post-training. There's essentially a nutrient overlapping effect in that if you're not training fasted and you're ingesting protein at some point prior to your training, you'll very likely still have sufficient amino acids and insulin in your system to reap the benefits that a protein shake would provide post-workout. It's by the same logic that you don't really need to eat every 2 hours for constant amino acid supply when trying to build muscle.

Lastly and most importantly, the other thing to consider is that even if it DID matter, how much would it matter?

It's going to be FAR, FAR more important that you hit your calorie and macronutrient totals by the end of the day, and it's also going to be far more important for you to consume enough protein, vs timing these nutrients.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I take a protein shake if I am a bit low at the end of the day.

Take it when you can unless you are a bodybuilder and have a competition next weekend
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Post work-out protein/carb shakes have become a staple among athletes for a reason. Here's a good article from Charles Poliquin that goes over the details. Keep in mind that he sells post-workout nutrition supplements, so he's obviously biased. However, there are numerous references listed at the end of the article if you don't want to take his word for it:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Blog/tabid/130/EntryId/414/Top-five-things-you-MUST-know-about-post-workout-nutrition.aspx

I've also read a study that demonstrated that you basically had a two hour window to get most of the benefit out of a post-workout protein shake, but I don't have time to try and look up the reference right now.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    a good article from Charles Poliquin

Genuine question: Do you put any validity into anything Piloquin says?

This man literally says counting calories is for morons yet he counts the 48 pills he stuffs in his name-brand coffee cup so he can chug in intra-workout.

I would suggest people take his info cautiously.
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Seems to be some dispute over this, but the last thing my trainer usually says to me at the end of a session is "protein within two hours!", which seems to correlate with the post above. And I do it because I am obedient. Logically it does make sense (to me, at least) - if protein is to aid muscle repair / recovery, and presumably your body begins this process as soon as they're no longer in use (i.e. at the end of the workout), so I suppose the sooner the better? Plus protein is filling, and I'm always starving after a heavy workout - so that's a benefit I can definitely get on board with.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    its just as important as pre workout protein... or protein at breakfast... or protein at any time of the day.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Lastly and most importantly, the other thing to consider is that even if it DID matter, how much would it matter?

I think this is an important point to consider. While it may have some benefit, would it be substantial enough to change up my routine for?

Thanks for all the responses so far!
  • ahamm002
    Options
    Genuine question: Do you put any validity into anything Piloquin says?

This man literally says counting calories is for morons yet he counts the 48 pills he stuffs in his name-brand coffee cup so he can chug in intra-workout.

I would suggest people take his info cautiously.

He's one of the best in the world when it comes to training a broad range of professional athletes. The results speak for themselves. So I'll put validity into his post-workout nutrition guides. Of course you have to take his supplement recomendations with a grain of salt since he sells them.

I don't know of him ever saying that counting calories is for morons? He does agree with Taubes that the notion that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is for morons. But he's definitely not alone in that camp.
  • AMG00
    AMG00 Posts: 2
    Options
    Well it depends what you are trying to achieve? I am a figure and power lifter competitor so protein pre and post a weight training workout is important because I am trying to sustain my muscle mass. However protein isn't needed before or after a cardio workout.

Also if you are going to do a protein shake after a weight training session then you would use a whey protein because it is fast absoring and a mix protein for snacks.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I don't know of him ever saying that counting calories is for morons?

He said it, on a video, recently. I think he's a quack.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    I think this is an important point to consider. While it may have some benefit, would it be substantial enough to change up my routine for?

Thanks for all the responses so far!

Well it's impossible to say exactly how much difference it would make and certainly depends on your exercise regimen. The higher volume and heavier the resistance, the more important proper post-workout nutrition will be for muscle recovery and growth.
  • ahamm002
    Options

I think I know the video you're talking about, and I think you're misquoting him. If he's a quack, how did he train so many Olympic athletes successfully? Luck?
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    LOLoquin lost his mind years ago.
    Breakfast
    2 VasculoGuard
    2 Resveratrol Px
    2 EFA Complete
    1 Über C

Lunch
    2 VasculoGuard
    2 Resveratrol Px
    2 EFA Complete
    1 Über C

Dinner
    2 VasculoGuard
    3 Magnesium Glycinate
    1 Über C

Evening Snack
    4 ÜberMag
    5 Chondro Px
    2 Sinew Plex
    2 Inflam Px

Pre-Workout (45 minutes before working out)
    4 JavaStim
    3 Yang R-ALA

During Workout
    40 BCAA Excellence
    20 Beta Alanine Supreme
    5 Lysine
    5 Yang R-ALA

Immediately Post-Workout
    2 tablespoons of Primal Greens in 2 cups of water
    10 Amino Acid Supreme

30 minutes Post-Workout
    150 grams of QuadriCarb and 50 grams of Whey Stronger mixed in 2/3 liter of water, and 1/3 liter of a high-glycemic-index juice such as grape juice.
    With it I take 5 Yin R-ALA and 3 ÜberMag
  • ahamm002
    Options

Unlike you, he provides studies to back his claims up. How about the people saying that post-workout nutrition doesn't matter provide some studies? Ya know, given that post-workout nutrition has been incredibly heavily studied over the years, I'm sure you'll easily be able to find some studies supporting your claims . . .
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Unlike you, he provides studies to back his claims up. How about the people saying that post-workout nutrition doesn't matter provide some studies? Ya know, given that post-workout nutrition has been incredibly heavily studied over the years, I'm sure you'll easily be able to find some studies supporting your claims . . .

Care to point to a single study that doesn't use fasted endurance athletes? Not even remotely relevant for weight-training in a fed state.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    Care to point to a single study that doesn't use fasted endurance athletes? Not even remotely relevant for weight-training in a fed state.

Post workout nutrition is a heavily studied area. If you can't find a single study that doesn't use fasted endurance athletes then you didn't search very hard. Regardless, no study is perfect and you can always find some fault if you look hard enough. So instead of taking the easy road by just criticizing the studies posted by others, why don't you actually support your own point for a change?
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I think I know the video you're talking about, and I think you're misquoting him. If he's a quack, how did he train so many Olympic athletes successfully? Luck?

I think I am not misquoting anything. It is literally the first thing out of his mouth. See here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145332551

EDIT: I'll try to stop being an *kitten*.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Post workout nutrition is a heavily studied area. If you can't find a single study that doesn't use fasted endurance athletes then you didn't search very hard. Regardless, no study is perfect and you can always find some fault if you look hard enough. So instead of taking the easy road by just criticizing the studies posted by others, why don't you actually support your own point for a change?

You are the one declaring that there is a direct benefit to proper post workout nutrition.