Supplements?

moea432
moea432 Posts: 75 Member
So I don't use any supplements and am wondering if I should maybe start? I have never used them and I really don't know much about them so any info on them would be great!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Supplements for what specifically?

Multivitamin? Fat burner? Preworkout? Post workout? Protein?
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    I'd start with why do you think you need a supplement? Where are you now and what are your goals? Can you do something dietary to move towards those goals first?
  • moea432
    i guess really just to replenish muscles for cardio/weight lifting workouts.....and are they worth it? or should i just keep doing what im doing and not take any?
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    A protein shake, or just a high protein meal within an hour of working out will help repair and build muscle. Protein powder seems expensive but for the amount of protein contained in each scoop compared to a chicken breast is actually pretty cost effective.
  • moea432
    I don't know if i need any....personally I am fine with what I am doing (65 down) and still losing weight, I guess I am just wondering what peoples opinions are?
  • BuckeyeLife
    Weights, okay I can see a use for it. Cardio, you do not need supplements. Both cases you'd be looking at protein powders, most likely the common whey protein. I use it, I don't think it is that special, but I am not a body builder so it is only to help aid me in recovery really. It has helped with some muscle building over 2 months, but nothing major and I don't use it super regularly either. I was able to do just fine running a significant amount 5+ years ago and just ate a good amount of dietary protein source. I wasn't aware of all this crap and I gained muscle and leaned my body out just fine. This time around I am looking to lean out with more muscle mass though, so trying supplements.
  • moea432
    muscle milk? My friend told me about that one but its high in calories
  • BuckeyeLife
    Supplements have their uses, for the everyday person, not that important. IMO.

I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey and also their Casein protein as well for pre-bed smoothies with glutamine. I haven't really felt any effect of the glutamine though, was under impression it'd help with soreness. But I *did* recover quicker when I used it. Further testing will be required before I decide.
  • moea432
    Weights, okay I can see a use for it. Cardio, you do not need supplements. Both cases you'd be looking at protein powders, most likely the common whey protein. I use it, I don't think it is that special, but I am not a body builder so it is only to help aid me in recovery really. It has helped with some muscle building over 2 months, but nothing major and I don't use it super regularly either. I was able to do just fine running a significant amount 5+ years ago and just ate a good amount of dietary protein source. I wasn't aware of all this crap and I gained muscle and leaned my body out just fine. This time around I am looking to lean out with more muscle mass though, so trying supplements.

i am still needing to lean out but I have been wanting tone up...i dont want to go bulky i want to build and tone....and like i said i might not need anything....i dont personally feel like i do i work out hard with no problems
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Glutamine, brother, glutamine. It helps you recover faster after a heavy session, feeds the muscles. Personally, I also like micronized creatine (pretty cheap, lasts a long time) but that's just me.

One thing I definitely recommend: Fish oil. I buy the brand wal-mart sells (green and yellow bottle) and take 2-3 capsules as I crawl into bed at night. After a little while, I realized that it helps me sleep SO much better than I do if I don't take it. I relax more fully and therefore get to sleep faster and sleep more soundly all around. Every night, no matter what, I always take my fish oil!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Yes, they're worth it ("but I don't think I need it")

No, don't bother ("but are they worth it?")

:huh:

What are you asking, exactly?
  • temsabi
    temsabi Posts: 45 Member
    I know not all supplements are made the same, but for the record I HIGHLY DISCOURAGE the use of "muscle replenishing" supplements.

My brother took protein supplements to help with his weight lifting for about 10 years. Recently he's been told that he is sterile and they had to have a surgery to remove his breast tissue (!) just a month ago on him. He also suffers from chronic acid reflux and heartburn--so much so that he's on medication from it. Not only that, but overdoing the protein in your body overloads your kidneys, eventually giving you kidney stones.

Of course I know you can't blame all his health issues on just the supplements, but considering we have a large family and he is the only one to suffer from these ailments, I think it's more than just a coincidence that the one person in our family to take supplements is the one person who has to work the hardest at regaining control over his health.

The body is an amazing vessel. It is perfectly capable of building muscle on its own. If you want to add more protein/etc. to your diet, eat some eggs and lean meat. But please, for your health, think long and hard and do months of research before you go the supplement route.
  • temsabi
    temsabi Posts: 45 Member
    Also, to add, I think some supplements--like a multivitamin--could be necessary to complete your diet if you're lacking in certain necessary nutrients on a daily basis. That, to me, is different than taking weight lifting supplements.
  • BuckeyeLife

i am still needing to lean out but I have been wanting tone up...i dont want to go bulky i want to build and tone....and like i said i might not need anything....i dont personally feel like i do i work out hard with no problems

You can't really tone muscle. But what you can do is to continue losing body fat while maintaining lean body mass as much as possible and as your body fat % gets lower your definition will increase. You can do this on just food intake just fine, but a supplement can possibly help protect lean body mass if you're really lifting hard.

There is some merit to being careful with supplements as they are not FDA approved. So you can have problems with them at your own risk. But really, if you stick with a reputable company, I wouldn't worry about it. I chose Optimum for that reason.
  • moea432
    Yes, they're worth it ("but I don't think I need it")

No, don't bother ("but are they worth it?")

:huh:

What are you asking, exactly?

slow down, READ, and you will see.....are they worth it? should I not take them because what I am doing is working just fine? Or do you think they could help me more?
  • siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    A protein shake, or just a high protein meal within an hour of working out will help repair and build muscle. Protein powder seems expensive but for the amount of protein contained in each scoop compared to a chicken breast is actually pretty cost effective.

Agreed. Just good science there
  • BuckeyeLife
    My husband is big into body building. He used to take protein powder, but it made him bloated from all the sodium and sugar. Now I get him to take Visalus (Body by Vi) shakes. I'm an Indepedent Rep for them now because I take them too and love the product! I take two shakes a day to lose weight, one for breakfast and one post-workout at lunchtime. He takes them post-workout for muscle recovery and protein, it helps build lean muscle as well. We mix it with skim milk, soy milk or almond milk and your body absorbes the 22-24 grams of protein. The other tubs of protein from stores you only absorb 12 grams from all the binders and fillers in it! The visalus shakes work out to $1.87 per shake, so it's very affordable compared to chicken breast!

We also take the Visalus Pro Energy Drinks for extra energy before or during a workout.

If you're interested check out my website shawnashakesit.myvi.net.

This sounds a LOT like a sales pitch to me.
  • siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    I personally think, that the American diet is very lacking. We have formed bad habits and lets face it a slice of pizza will always be tastier than brocolli. I think we could all use a good, basic, complete multi vitamin. Diet or not I believe everyone should be taking: multivitamin (NOT a mega dose) fish oil , vit D, and an adaptogen-you choose CoQ enzyme, cordycep, astralaugus- something basic

If your looking at the Dr Oz type miricle tablets- I have tried them all on myself with negligible is any result.
  • moea432

ok well im going to stick with what im doing since its working and i see most here are against it and its just as easy to eat good protein source!
  • BuckeyeLife
    Hey hey, I am for supplements, for the right reason. :D From looks of it, you are doing just fine.