How important is the post-workout protein?

Options

Replies

• MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Well it depends what you are trying to achieve? I am a figure and power lifter competitor so protein pre and post a weight training workout is important because I am trying to sustain my muscle mass. However protein isn't needed before or after a cardio workout.

Also if you are going to do a protein shake after a weight training session then you would use a whey protein because it is fast absoring and a mix protein for snacks.

My workouts consist of mostly cardio, but I try to throw in some weights as well. I am currently using 8 - 10 pound free weights - so I guess you could say I'm not really a power lifter! ;-)

I also always use whey protein. Thanks!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Care to point to a single study that doesn't use fasted endurance athletes? Not even remotely relevant for weight-training in a fed state.

Post workout nutrition is a heavily studied area. If you can't find a single study that doesn't use fasted endurance athletes then you didn't search very hard. Regardless, no study is perfect and you can always find some fault if you look hard enough. So instead of taking the easy road by just criticizing the studies posted by others, why don't you actually support your own point for a change?

LOL

The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. YOU are the one claiming that it's important. YOU are the one that needs to support the claim. Appeals to authority (especially when that authority is a nutjob who makes his living selling this ****) don't count.

There have been literally thousands of studies (most funded by supplement companies) and not a single one that I've seen has used protocols relevant to fed trainees.

Ingestion of amino acids after resistance exercise has been shown at many different time points in several studies to stimulate increases in muscle protein synthesis, cause minimal changes in protein breakdown and increase overall protein balance. It has not been conclusively determined what time point is optimal. Similar changes have been found for studies that have administered amino acids alone or with carbohydrate immediately upon completion of an acute exercise bout, 1 h after completion, 2 h after completion and 3 h after completion. Interestingly, ingesting nutrients before the exercise bout may have the most benefit of all the time points.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/t067456j53773760/fulltext.html
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Care to point to a single study that doesn't use fasted endurance athletes? Not even remotely relevant for weight-training in a fed state.

Post workout nutrition is a heavily studied area. If you can't find a single study that doesn't use fasted endurance athletes then you didn't search very hard. Regardless, no study is perfect and you can always find some fault if you look hard enough. So instead of taking the easy road by just criticizing the studies posted by others, why don't you actually support your own point for a change?

Effect of protein supplement timing on strength, power and body compositional changes in experienced resistance trained men. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2009

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19478342
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Just from a practical standpoint, if you drink a protein shake (and lets take this to the extreme for argument's sake) immediately before your workout, what happens to that protein in the time it took you to work out?
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This really created a firestorm! I only drink protein shakes after a workout on lifting days and my trainer told me to "drink it within 30 minutes or you are wasting your workout." I don't know if that's really true but I do it anyway because I figure it can't hurt and after a hard workout the protein shake fills me up. Then I eat my "breakfast" around 9:30/10:00. I find that if I do that I feel less fatigued after a hard lifting workout. It could just be a mental thing.

You could maybe try it for a little while and see if you think you feel any better/different - probably personal preference since you are not a power lifter :)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Just from a practical standpoint, if you drink a protein shake (and lets take this to the extreme for argument's sake) immediately before your workout, what happens to that protein in the time it took you to work out?

Wouldn't it depend on the type of protein shake? I would think that a 100% Whey or Hydrolized Whey would digest faster than a Casein or Egg protein mix.

Nice post Acg.

Dr. John Berardi posted his own work with Intermittent Fasting on his site PrecisionNutrition.com.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    my trainer told me to "drink it within 30 minutes or you are wasting your workout."

Fire him.
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    My personal opinion, just as a thinking human being, not a pro (disclaimer for any internet ragers out there lol) is that for the regular person, doing normal workouts and not massive endurance exercise or strength training (and eating) for extreme results is that it isn't all THAT important at the end of the day. But: Is it optimal? Science seems to say so (at the moment anyway....) at least for optimal muscle growth. Sure, it may be better, but will it completely *negate* your results as long as you are eating the proper amount within your 24 hour period anyway? Probably not enough that a regular joe/jill would notice. I would say goal 1 is to get your intake correct and clean over a 24 hour period first. Then, if you want to get even fancier or more optimal, then make sure you get your protein post-workout.

I'm still working on the daily aspect of it. I do keep proper timing in mind though if I can schedule my life/calories that way. Note: It is probably also true that the more of an athlete you are and the more you are doing that break down muscle tissue, the more efficient your body is likely at doing that and then timing may well be more important than to a straight beginner or intermediate just attempting to improve their health. Similarly the elderly have shown to do better having a good majority of their protein at one time.... humans are so variable, it would make sense that there would also be variables on what is best for which type of athlete and level of punishment the body is enduring during training.

Just my opinion though. I could be wrong. =) I just try to take all the info out there and make it workable for me at the end of the day, which for me is hard enough lol
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Here is a different study which discusses protein supplementation during and after exercise. This is aimed at endurance athletes, however.

http://www.gssiweb.com/Article_Detail.aspx?articleID=719
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I aim to be counted with the best of them - Jamie Eason, Tosca Reno, Jessica Putnam, Jenna Renee, etc etc...

So if these ladies say to drink a protein shake 30mins to an hour after a workout, by golly, I'm gonna do it. I'll do what they do till I get what they got! Besides, they are the pros, not me, and this is one of those things where you can SEE if someone knows their stuff or not. I always try to get in some protein and good carbs within an hour.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    For me this is more of a financial question more then anything, but nice to know if I don't go running to the kitchen or if there is some lapse in time I won't fall apart. If I don't have to waste money on bcaa or pr shakes I won't
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've read that it would be beneficial to drink a protein shake right after working out.

Currently, I workout from 5 - 6 am, eat breakfast at 8 am, and have a protein shake for my mid-morning snack at 10:30 am. Am I doing myself a disservice by not having the protein shake right after working out? How important is this really? I am just trying to decide if I should flip my meals and have the protein shake before breakfast. (ps - breakfast is usually cereal/oats or yogurt with berries).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

It's going to be FAR, FAR more important that you hit your calorie and macronutrient totals by the end of the day, and it's also going to be far more important for you to consume enough protein, vs timing these nutrients.
    ^ This
  • adet983
    adet983 Posts: 138
    Options
    i used to hammer protein after every workout felt like if i missed it my workout was for nothing back when i was in great shape in college........after i lost all weight and started lifting again and have gotten back in that shape....without taking anything at all pre or post.... ive noticed i've seen way better results now from getting my protein from a clean diet high in protein than i did taking suppliments....not as strong but more defined...could just be me.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    If you can put the flamethrowers down for a second and realise that no one has mentioned carbohydrates for post work-out with the protein. Don't you think assisting the absorbtion is a necessity?
  • TiffanyWasmer
    TiffanyWasmer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The boys went CRAZY!!!! To the original poster: if you are anything like me, I'm doing good to remember my protein period...not to mention at a certain time of day :) Like all things, I'm sure it gets easier with routine and that you will learn what works best for YOUR body.
    Boys...play nice :)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    my trainer told me to "drink it within 30 minutes or you are wasting your workout."

Fire him.

Kind of agree there. Go to your trainer for training advice, IF (big IF) he's / she's good at it but I would typically steer clear of nutrition advice from a trainer. In most cases that's really not what they study. I'd read-up on your own and / or hire a good nutritionist.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you can put the flamethrowers down for a second and realise that no one has mentioned carbohydrates for post work-out with the protein. Don't you think assisting the absorbtion is a necessity?

Not at all.

Carbohydrates will assist in glycogen replenishment but in most situations, glycogen replenishment happens on it's own during your next meal which for most of us, will fall in between workouts and allow replenishment to happen on it's own course.

If you are an endurance athlete training in a circumstance that requires rapid replenishment, then absolutely.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Assuming an adequate amount of protein, added carbs aren't going to do much for MPS or MBP
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I think I am not misquoting anything. It is literally the first thing out of his mouth. See here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145332551

EDIT: I'll try to stop being an *kitten*.

Is that what he usually sounds like.....or is he doped up?