whey protein shake ideas

Options

Replies

• ashleygx26
    ashleygx26 Posts: 140
    Options
    IN A BLENDER:

Scoop of whey
    Organic Fat Free Peanut Butter (I purchase from Trader Joes)
    A full banana

It is seriously to die for. A little healthy food place by my sells this and it's called Mississippi Mud. It is amazing. ENJOY!!!!
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I used the JM protein powder in the vanilla flavor and wow! I couldn't believe she would put her name on it. I really didn't like it. I very much enoyed the Advocare Chocolate Shakes but they are kind of pricey.

My ultimate choice ended up being BSN Lean Dessert Protein in Whipped Vanilla Flavor or Chocolate Fudge Pudding Flavor. You can get a container on Amazon.com that has about 18 singe scoop servings (recommended for women) for less than $17 if you choose subscribe and save. I currently do that and I mix it with 10 oz. of Pure Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk - Vanilla and breakfast is just under 200 calories and I'm full til my morning snack.

BUMP!
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    http://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/

This site has some of the best shakes EVER.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Any ideas on how I can make a relatively low cal protein shake so thick that I have no choice but to eat it with a spoon? Ice doesn't seem to get the desired thickness/texture.

I noticed that casein protein thickens up a lot more, but I recently switched to whey.

The site I just linked adds cottage cheese to make a thicker shake. You can't taste it, but it gives it that thick, creamy milkshake consistency.
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    As a snack, 'cause I crave yummies like pudding and ice cream and candy, I mix a scoop with a Tbs of peanut butter, and add just enough water to make it like the centre of a protein bar. Vanilla is nice, chocolate is better! Or roll the vanilla/PB mix into bite sized balls and then roll in chocolate protein powder. Mmmmm.

...not a shake...but yummy.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Why play with your food? Buy a good flavor take out 2 scoops then add in some water and slam it down. :drinker:

Definitely the only way to drink that IS to slam it down. I had mine with just water yesterday and will never have it that way again!

I use chocolate whey protein powder but I'm sure this recipe would be great with vanilla, too.

Brazilian Breakfast Smoothie. 1 Scoop Chocolate Whey Protein powder, 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt, 1/4 teaspoon banana extract, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 3/4 cup blueberries, ice for desired consistency. I used frozen blueberries and no ice. Delish.

Sounds to me like too many people are buying into Jillian's crap and not trying out the brands known to make great tasting shake mixes. Try some Myofusion Probiotic series. WAY better than the JM crap. Tastes amazing with just water.

I use Body Fortress, not Jillian Michaels.

I'm really liking the "Reese's Cup" idea. I may try that in the morning. Yumm!

The Walmart crap? Just as bad. Try the stuff that a GNC would sell.

I don't think the "Walmart crap" tastes too bad....

Try adding it to greek yogurt....Mmmmm

This. Honestly the Body Fortress body fortress is one of the best tasting powders I have had and I have had a lot. It does have a bit of a grit to it though.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Vanilla or chocolate unsweetened almond milk in a blender with protein powder, ice and any ingredients I wish to add that day. Almost forgot, I add Fage yogurt cause it adds creaminess and flavor.
  • hubbasj
    hubbasj Posts: 2
    Options
    I typically just buy the ones from Costco with 30 g. of protein. They are easy and portable
  • krythie
    krythie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bananas really help thicken protein shakes. I use frozen banana slices. Looks and tastes like a milkshake.
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Any ideas on how I can make a relatively low cal protein shake so thick that I have no choice but to eat it with a spoon? Ice doesn't seem to get the desired thickness/texture.

I noticed that casein protein thickens up a lot more, but I recently switched to whey.

You could use some nonfat pudding mix powder.
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My go to Shake.
    8oz Sweet Acidophilus Milk
    1 Scoop Vanilla Whey
    4 or 5 Strawberries
    1 Banana (optional)
    2 or 3 Ice Cubes
    Blend. Simple.
    I never like Protein drinks but this one is pretty good.
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For vanilla protein powder, one of my favorites is frozen strawberries, OJ and a banana. Super yummy and creamy!

For Chocolate powder, coconut milk (unsweetened), a banana and and 2Tbspn natural peanut butter. I have also added non-fat yogurt and after blending, put it in a bowl and refirgerate for 30 minutes and its a yummy pudding!
  • dzinergrl18
    dzinergrl18 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Why play with your food? Buy a good flavor take out 2 scoops then add in some water and slam it down. :drinker:

ditto. food is fuel.

don't forget to add a scoop of whey to your morning shakelogy.

You add whey to your shakeology? Thought it had everything you need already! Need to find a good whey, with great taste and low cals!
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey protein powders! So delish! Every morning I have what tastes exactly like a strawberry milkshake:

1 1/2 cups unsweetened Almond Breeze almond/coconut blend milk
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries from Sam's Club
    1/2 cup ice cubes
    1 scoop strawberry protein powder
    White Chocolate SF Davinci Syrup - about 2 TBSP Or splenda and 1/2 tsp almond extract to sweeten (though it's not necessary...just tastes even better)

(if you want it thicker, like ice cream, add extra frozen strawberries)

I also do chocolate protein powder
    peanut butter
    ice

today I'm going to take the vanilla ice cream protein powder and add the almond coconut milk, plus Oregon SF chai and some ice and blend to make a frozen chai.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    Bump
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later!
  • br2012
    br2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For a dessert tasting shake, try chocolate protein powder, low fat milk or unsweet almond milk, DARK chocolate hershey powder and maybe a dash of coconut extract. tastes likes german chocolate cake
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I mix my chocolate one with semi skimmed milk and chocolate PB2. Sooooo good! X
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    I add it to black coffee. It sweetens the coffee a little bit so I don't use any other sweetener. The powder also dissolves better in piping hot liquid.

How much do you add? And does it change the consistency of your coffee?