Low Sodium Lunch Meat?

Options
13»

Replies

• SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The best option is to cook your own meat and use it on a sandwich. :)

^ I agree!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I;m on low sodium also, <1500 mgday. I foind out the best meat is roast beef, has a lot less sodum than in the same sise (oz) of chicken or turkey. Run 6 oz of each, beef, chicken and turkey in your food log and see for yourself.
  • Renee_Leslie
    Options
    does anyone know if the sodium content in the lunchmeat you can buy from the deli counter is high?

Depends on the brand, unless it specifically says "Low Sodium" it's pretty much all high in it. I have been told that Boar's Head and Dietz & Watson are the best, pricey and sometimes hard to find, but good.
  • elanaknt
    elanaknt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt from Philly.
    You can get Boars Head Brand Low Sodium lunch meats
    http://www.boarshead.com/nutrition.php

or

Dietz and Watson
    http://www.dietzandwatson.com/our-products/low-sodium/

Debbie from Philly

I buy the Boar's Head Low Sodium Turkey Breast and it is really delicious! Being that I don't like ham, this is now the only lunch meat I buy if I want a sandwich.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I use Boar's Head reduced or no salt added deli. I must admit the no salt added turkey is BLAND. But, I add mustard, sauteed vegetables, or salsa and it is definitely edible. I too am on a reduced sodium diet. I like the reduced sodium cheeses (swiss and provolone. Your best bet is to roast your own meat and slice it thin.
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This is opening my eyes! I don't really look at how much sodium I eat daily, but after reading this, i'm going to try cooking my own lunch meat. Thanks of the suggestions and advice! You guys rock :)
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I looked at the Hillshire Farm Lower Sodium product at the store and it was still like, 460mg of sodium. That's not much less than the Oscar Meyer Deli stuff I've been eating. That was a little disappointing. :( I may have to start making my own lunch meat from chicken and such. I never realized how high the sodium was in these packaged lunch meats!
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    I pay attention to sodium in everything - not only for health reasons, but for weight loss purposes. It's one reason I eat as few prepackaged/processed foods as possible. I treat myself once in a while, but only if it won't hurt my daily allowance.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I pay zero attention to sodium. don't need to. but I do know that the great value deli sliced meats aren't too bad in that department, if for whatever reason you are concerned about sodium.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I really like the Sara Lee brand of LOWER Sodium meats. Not really low, but better than the regular stuff.

I LOVE the Sara Lee Lower sodium turkey breast. I'm kind of a lunch meat snob and only buy the good deli stuff because anything else tastes gross and slimy to me. The Sara Lee is very flavorful. It's a little pricey, but very worth it :)
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I use hillshire farm sparingly (one oz at a time usually) Hillshire Farm Deli Select - Ultra Thin Hard Salami is 100mg sodium for one slice..for lunch one day this week I had a half sandwich that resembled a smiling face (remember the episode of the cosby show where cliff ate the sub before bed even tho claire told him not to??? lol I didnt plan it to look like this - my coworker noticed and insisted on taking a picture lol.

sandwich1.jpg

one oz of the lower sodium ham, two slices of thin salami and 5 slices of Armour - Low Sodium Pepperoni (pepperoni slices are only 17mg per slice) a tiny bit of shredded chedder and a few homemade sweet pickle slices. it hit my sandwich spot - but i wouldnt eat that every day.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I eat Hilshire Farms low sodium deli meats. I have had the turkey and the roast beef. Both were very good. I think I have seen it in ham, but the fat is too high for me.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of my own from shredded chicken. You just take some large chicken breasts (not frozen kind) and boil them until they shred easily with a fork then season with salt-free seasoning or a sauce that you like.

BAM Salt-free lunchmeat.

You can do this in the crock pot also.

Boar's Head makes a whole line of lesser sodium meats, but they are still pretty salty.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    Y DNT U JUX RINSE MOST OF THE SODIUM OFF UR REGULAR LUNCH MEATS ALSO. I BUY THE HORMEL AND B4 I EAT IT I JUX RINSE EACH SLICE OFF UNDER COLD RUNNING WATER AND DRY ON THICK PAPER TOWELS. I BARELY EAT BREAD SO I AM REDUCING MY SODIUM CONTENT EVEN FURTHER. I JUX USE FRESH SPINACH AD WRAP MY LUNCH MEAT INSIDE IT AND EAT IT WITH SUM HUMMUS OR JUX PLAIN. NICE SNACK!!!
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of my own from shredded chicken. You just take some large chicken breasts (not frozen kind) and boil them until they shred easily with a fork then season with salt-free seasoning or a sauce that you like.

BAM Salt-free lunchmeat.

You can do this in the crock pot also.

LOVE this. :)
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I use Boar's Head low sodium turkey. They have ham too, but I'm not a fan of ham. :)
  • Honest_Angie
    Honest_Angie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The best option is to cook your own meat and use it on a sandwich. :)

Pretty much this, I was having the same trouble. Only recently noticed my fat free turkey contained 220mg of sodium per slice. I would suggest marinading and slicing your own turkey or chicken, or even making a pot roast on the weekend, that way you can control your lunch meat sodium.
  • MFed33
    MFed33 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey Matt, I've had the same issue. As much as I needed to lose weight and eat better, it was just super hard to lay off the deli meat. I found a good solution with the company Thin 'N Trim, Google them. They are by far the lowest sodium meat out there and are actually quite tasty. Only problem is that they are still a smaller company and mostly have their products in the northeast. I know they are looking to branch out, so maybe right to them, or your local grocer to carry their products!

Hope this helps you out my friend!
  • Carlywiese
    Carlywiese Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    does anyone know if the sodium content in the lunchmeat you can buy from the deli counter is high?

Depends on the brand, unless it specifically says "Low Sodium" it's pretty much all high in it. I have been told that Boar's Head and Dietz & Watson are the best, pricey and sometimes hard to find, but good.

If you ask at the deli counter they can grab a fresh one from the back and it has nutrition info including sodium content on the wrapper. None I've seen are very good choices. I have started buying a fresh turkey breast roast (boneless) roasting it, wrapping it up tight in tinfoil popping in the fridge overnight then slicing half for the fridge and freezing the other half whole to defrost when the sliced stuff runs out. A 3lb roast lasts about a week and a half in my house this way :)