protein powder in oatmeal?

Replies

• Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,283 Member
    So good!

I take 1/2 cup of rolled (not quick) oats, 1 scoop of chocolate powder, 1 cup of water and stir until combined. Get it boiling and then cover and turn to low for 15 minutes or until the oats are done. I like to add strawberries and banana to it.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Yep, I do this all the time. I have cinnamon roll protein powder that I use in my oatmeal.
  • LadyRush
    LadyRush Posts: 95 Member
    I put my Body by Vi in my oatmeal! Yummy!
  • I think you are not supposed to mix protein power in hot items because it denatures the protein.

Some proteins are like this, but not all of them. You can check the package to see if it's temperature sensitive.
    Actually, someone gave me the idea of pouring saw raw oatmeal into my protein shake. I do that every morning and blend it up. Sounds strange, but it's good.

^^This. I love oats in my smoothies! With cinnamon!
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    delicious! i did that this morning. there's a recipe in nrolfw.

make oatmeal according to the directions (with water)
    then add 1/2 milk and a scoop of protein powder & a bit of nuts. makes it a little more soupy but totally delicious!!
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Perfectly fine. I've put vanilla protein powder in my oatmeal, or have added in some oats to my shakes for meal replacements. I've also made brownies with the chocolate protein powder i use and it does not denature its properties.

Have a little fun with it!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    I just had the idea to put some protein powder in my oatmeal to up my protein intake for the day. Does it sound good or gross? Has anyone else done it before?

I often just mix it up raw in a shake with a little peanut butter. :)
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    I do it every day, too! BSN Syntha 6 Strawberry Milkshake is delicious in oatmeal. The Cookies and Cream is pretty good, too. (And there's nothing on the package saying to not put it in hot foods).
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Why not? I mix mine in yogurt and add fruit, nuts, sometimes chocolate. My mom mixes it in her coffee as a creamer. Mixing it with milk or water? Way to boring.
  • starrybay
    starrybay Posts: 15
    Actually, someone gave me the idea of pouring saw raw oatmeal into my protein shake. I do that every morning and blend it up. Sounds strange, but it's good.

I used do that and add some cooled down coffee. So good in the mornings :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    You can add protein power to anything...it just can't be smoking hot liquid like coffee or it will curdle and turn into rubber....true story. Some are made for higher temps....the Cytosport from Costco does well with heat (I use it in my coffee daily). ON does not work well at all.......I use it as coffee creamer (delish!), I mix it in pancake batter, I add it to oatmeal.....and my very fav is plain greek yogurt. It tastes like cake batter.....add some fresh berries and a little granola and it is heaven. I also make fridge oats with greek yogurt, rolled oats, protein powder and berries....the liquid is soaked up in the oatmeal overnight which softens it.
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    I cook plain oats in unsweetened chocolate almond milk, then add a half-scoop of chocolate protein powder once it's cooked. It is DELICIOUS.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    sounds good.
  • Iweigh139
    Iweigh139 Posts: 8
    I eat cinnamon oatmeal for breakfast every morning. I've tried peanut butter in it, that's good. I don't know about the protein powder, never tried it. I wouldn't heat the powder, if you do try it.
  • Rockin_Robyn
    Rockin_Robyn Posts: 40 Member
    It's a little strange at first but pretty good and definately better stats than the sugary packets of oatmeal! I use old fashioned oats and add a pure protien powder (about 2g of sugar) ...It's a great way to get that extra protein
  • Allibird8682
    Allibird8682 Posts: 7 Member
    I do it when I eat oatmeal :) It is Vanilla Whey Protein and it is lovely. Makes the plain oatmeal go down easier :)
  • It's one of the recipes for Insanity. so it must be ok
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    I've been doing that for the longest time. it's good. I also like to mix canned pumpkin in my oatmeal, add some cinnamon, and it's delish.... along with some vanilla protein powder. :)
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    In oatmeal or in cereal both are very good and a great way to get protein in the morning
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    I love it! Especially with chocolate protein powder... Yummm! And frozen blueberries.