10 Commandments of Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    You're better off doubling up your ten commandments and reading this:
    http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/20-diet-myths-busted/
    Zoë Harcombe was on the radio today and I've never heard such nonsense (well that's not true, a lot of it gets bandied around the message boards on an all too frequent basis).

To dismiss the value of calorie-counting is silly and to claim you cannot (and yes she claims you cannot) lose weight while eating carbs is as much of a myth as the ones she claims to have busted.

I'd like to know where my 60lbs went because I love my carbs and my protein and my fats.

There are two secrets to successful weight loss:

1: eat less and move more i.e. don't eat more than you can burn and burn more by getting off your butt.

2: enjoy yourself! - eat the foods you love to eat that fulfil your nutritional needs and exercise in a way that you want to do. Feeling pressured to eat only certain foods that are deemed to be "healthy" or to follow an exercise programme that doesn't inspire you is a sure-fire recipe for failure.

To the OP... you seem to have found your recipe for success - glad you are reaping the benefits! :happy:
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    1. I wear stretch pants because they are comfortable to work out in. Stretch pants don't make you fat, too many calories do.

2. I kept two articles of fat clothes in my closet and I am NEVER getting rid of them. I like to try them on and see how I swim in them. It is motivating. Fat clothes don't make you fat, too many calories do.

3. I eat meat 7 days a week, sometimes several times a day. Meat does not make you fat, too many calories do.

4. I graze all day some days and I enjoy it each and every time I do. Grazing does not make you fat, too many calories do.

5. I am most hungry after 7:30 p.m. so that is when I eat. Calories don't have a clue what time it is, trust me.

6. I always pile my plate HIGH with vegetables. I am too busy eating to measure how high my food is and how close it is to the edge of my plate.

7. I never chew anything 20 times. What is the sense of chewing one piece of broccoli 20 times? Does it break down the calories? :))

8. I ALWAYS covet my husband's meals. He can eat anything and never gains a pound. Sorry! I love eating healthy, but when it comes to broccoli or ice cream, wouldn't you be doing a little coveting too?

9. I say ALWAYS carry small bills because the robbers won't get as much of my cash. I don't eat anything that comes out of a vending machine.

10. I often eat standing up. Why? It burns more calories than sitting.

I broke all of the commandments, but I managed to lose a few pounds anyway.

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    OP, Thanks for posting even if I don't agree with list.
    I guess I have 4 Commandments of Weight Loss;
    1. Eat less
    2. Move more
    3. Get adequate sleep
    4. Know what the heck you need to eat for sustenance and good health then stick close to it while having tremendous enjoyment in life.
  • Cortx
    Cortx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    actually one of the things that keeps me from losing is eating after 7. everyone knows this rule.
  • Cortx
    Cortx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    WOW. I like how almost everyone wrote nasty negative comments. I agree with everything that was listed on the list. Even my doctor has told me almost all of those things. And yes it is better to now wear stretch pants.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Anybody else hearing "two legs good, four legs bad" in their head?

Two legs good, four legs food!!!
  • rrhennen
    rrhennen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat past 7:30, I would only get dinner about once a week! And actually, I'm often too exhausted by then to put much into prepping or eating dinner that I actually eat less. It's when we eat earlier that I snack more later in the evening.

I do fully agree on the fat clothes, though. It is what gave me the reality check that I'm working on now!
  • rrhennen
    rrhennen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    OP, Thanks for posting even if I don't agree with list.
    I guess I have 4 Commandments of Weight Loss;
    1. Eat less
    2. Move more
    3. Get adequate sleep
    4. Know what the heck you need to eat for sustenance and good health then stick close to it while having tremendous enjoyment in life.

#3, for sure and so often one I do not engage! And on that note...I better get off to shower and bed :)
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    #2 - NO. Keep your fat clothes....so you can alter them into new couture sassy skinny clothes.....there's enough extra fabric now to give you something to work with. ;) That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. :P
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    There has been ample research done to show that the human body processes much of the calories consumed at night while you sleep, If you eat just before you sleep, some of the time normally spent during sleep on burning calories is spent on digesting instead. And ample studies have been done showing eating just before bed can disturb sleep making it hard to wake up energized and ready to exercise. Some people can eat within four hours of sleep with no ill effect, just like some people can smoke until the age of 99, but for many it has negative side effects. The rule about not eating four hours before going to sleep is not a hard and fast rule of diet like, you have to eat less than you burn, but it does make it easier for most people to loose weight.

But I want my weight loss to be tight.

I literally choked on my water. Thanks. :laugh:
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I regularly break 8/10 of these. Don't even care.
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    While in good spirit, I do disagree with a lot of these 10 commandments....

If I chewed my food 20 times or more, I wouldn't be able to swallow it and would definitely lose weight!!! I would starve!!
  • Sara__Beth
    Sara__Beth Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow, reading through some of these comments was shocking. I feel completely bad for whoever originally posted this. They were just trying to offer advice and some people were just rude. Take it or leave it, no need to be hateful.
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If I chew my food 20 times, I turn my food to nasty mush. I don't like that. I'm a gulper. My stomach has a job to do, and I run a tight ship.

OMGoodness!!!! I almost choked when I read that!!!!! LOL!!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    No offense to the well-meaning OP, but I feel like I've been pulled back through a strange vortex to a WW meeting from about 10 years ago. Rules, commandments, diet, slight negativity..

I kind of feel we've (I've) moved beyond this..where success in fitness and nutrition is somewhat subjective and different things work for different people.
    I've lost weight doing the low fat, low carb, eat way too low of calories thing.. but I've also plateaued and gained that way too.
    The scale is now inching down ever so slowly, but I have muscles taking shape (!) and can see my body changing nearly daily (more weights and lots of protein).

After 7 months now.. I guess my rules would be
    #1 respect your body and treat it right (give it good fuel, plenty rest, work it hard and get pedicures)
    #2 eat (relatively) whole foods that are satisfying and curb cravings for junk (goodbye sugar and white flour - for me)
    #3 explore and see what limits you can push (I'm learning to lift and am going to start rowing)
    #4 be proud of and enjoy your changes and accomplishments - don't just be constantly focusing on how much more you have to do
    #5 Drink water till you float!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    For those knockin' the chewing... that one really is pretty important. Like it or not.

http://www.macrobiotics.co.uk/chewwell.htm

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=337
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    1. Eat less

2. Move more

Works for me!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    #3 isn't going to work for me...I eat lots of protein with 2 & 4 legs.
  • channel11
    channel11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new on here and after reading some of your venomous remarks in this thread I would never post anything that I thought was even remotely helpful! Try some kindness next time..."if you don't have anything good to say..."
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    1. Thou Shalt Not Wear Pants that Stretch
    I can't actually help the fact that the affordable pants they make in my size are all made with spandex.

2. Thou Shalt Not Keep Fat Clothes in Your Closet
    I also can't help the fact that I can't go out and buy new clothes every time I lose a size. I literally wear pants until they're falling off, and I have yet to replace any of my shirts.

3. Thou Shalt Not Eat Meat That Walks on Four Legs More Than Once a Week
    I don't eat meat that walks, so I guess I'm down with this?

4. Thou Shalt Not Graze
    I eat a lot of small meals, and it's worked pretty well.

5. Thou Shalt Not Eat After 7:30pm
    LOL, that's lunchtime for me.

6. Thou Shalt Not Pile Food More than 1 Inch High or Within 2 Inches of the Plate Edge
    Not if it's veggies, and not if your plate is tiny (which, until a couple months ago, was all I had).

7. Thou Shalt Not Chew Food Less than 20 Times Per Bite
    I know this one is actually a good rule to live by, but I have trouble following it, because I usually have a limited amount of time to eat when I'm at work.

8. Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Plate
    I actually agree with this.

9. Thou Shalt Not Carry Small Bills
    LOL, bus money. There's no getting around that.

10. Thou Shalt Not Eat While Standing Up
    Yeah, no. Sometimes, it's just not possible to get around this one.

I feel like this is more the 10 commandments of weight loss for you specifically. If ever there were weight loss commandments for everyone, I think there would only be two (as someone else mentioned), and they would be: eat less, move more.