Realistic goal? 15 lbs down in 30 days

Options
I want to lose 15 lbs before july starts! Is my goal realistic or will I end up being disappointed? i currently weight 160 lbs and i want to go down to 144 lbs.

Anybody who has a similar goal or has already accomplished it? Any sort of advice/review would be really helpful.
Thnaks

Replies

• michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have far more weight to lose than you. I don't think that is very attainable. Keep eating healthy and working out! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to weigh 140 on July 1-you can probably endure an absolutely miserable month and lose the weight. If your goal is to actually weigh 140 for any length of time after July 1-you will likely be disappointed. The only way for someone at your current weight to drop 15 lbs in a month is to do some sort of "extreme" diet plan (eg eating nothing but celery & grapefruit and exercising like a mad woman). The problem is such diets aren't sustainable-so when you start eating like a normal human, you'll gain the weight back. If you want to weigh 140 on July 1-go for it. If you want to actually weigh 140 for a long, long time-make changes in your diet & exercise that you can maintain for the long term (like forever). The weight will come off more slowly, but you will keep it off.
  • outlaw5353
    outlaw5353 Posts: 50
    Options
    hmm idk its hard i just watch my cals do a light workout in the morning after work i do insanity and run ive lost 9 pounds so far and i wanted to loose 17 pounds well im getting close and july 1st is coming 23121781.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Lets see 15 pounds in 30 days that's a pound every two days. That is like 3.5 pounds or more a week. I would think you could do it but it would be challenging.
  • rohmaansarii
    rohmaansarii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    hmm i think i'll just set my mind to losing 8 lbs this month but will give it my best in the hope to lose more. haha :) i guess thats all i can do.. and yeah you guys are right if i go crazy this month i might end up gaining some, if not all, back next month. so yeah its better if i take things slow and steady :D
    thank you guys x
  • karmah2771
    karmah2771 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Can it be done? Yes. The how it should be done is also another issue, but we shall opt for the "healthy" method for doing so and not a crash or fad diet that may put health at risk and means that your weight may go up once you stop the "diet".

It is said that a safe and healthy weight loss is 1 to 2 pounds a week. In order to achieve said goal it means changing you eating and exercise ways keeping in mind that you are doing so to lose the weight, but that you will continue these new habits after your weight loss goal has been reached. So that it becomes a maintainable weight loss as well.

That being said, it is possible to eat and exercise with the goal in mind of losing 1-2 pounds per week (eating enough, exercising regularly, etc.) and lose more than 1-2 pounds per week. We can't control when, where or how much weight our bodies lose in a certain period of time. So one week you could lose 3 pounds and 1 pound the next and the week after that nothing.

You may also want to look into losing inches instead of just weight as it's possible to weigh 150 pounds and be a size 12 and be 150 pounds and be a size 8. I'd rather be the same weight, but a smaller size.

A lot of people combine strength and cardio for a combination of weight loss and inch loss. One notorious workout for inch loss & weight loss (you will see many posts about it) is Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. (You can even preview the first round on youtube.) There have been many great results with it. Something to check out for free to see if it might interest you.

That all said, there is a ton of help available on these boards.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    did you want to keep it off? then no, it's not realistic
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You're talking about cutting almost 2300 calories a day. I don't burn that much on my highest burning days, and I'm about your weight. So for me, if I didn't eat at all for the rest of June, I don't think I could lose 15 lbs.

15 lbs. times 3500 calories/pound divided by 23 days equals 2282 calories a day you need to eliminate.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you lost 8lbs last month, which was good. Can't see 0.5 lbs/day being at all easy to do.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    with the amount you have to lose the healthy limit is around 1lb a week MAX. If you aim for more than this, you will more than likely just screw up your metabolism and end up putting all the weight back on.
    as mcarter99 said, thats a 2282 per day deficit, so unless you eat absolutely nothing for a month (which i am NOT recommending buy the way!!!), its not going to happen.

Set a sensible goal on MFP of 1lb / week, eat well including eating your exercise cals, and don't worry so much about a time limit!
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Not realistic at your weight without doing something extreme. Believe me, I wish I could say otherwise! 2 lbs per week would be a doable challenge, but 1 - 1.5 is realistic.

So, I'd make the goal 2 lbs per week, but mentally prepare yourself to lose 1 to 1.5 and be happy. 4-10 lbs is probably the most realistic range for 30 days of hard work.

Good luck.
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    You can do it, but I'd say 8-10 lbs is more realistic.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Unrealistic and dangerous to attempt. If you were morbidly obese, then you could probably do this. But you aren't, so don't try to lose that quickly. You will screw up your metabolism and then gain it right back. Slow and steady is proven to work, and has a much higher success rate when it comes to keeping the weight off.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Unrealistic and dangerous to attempt. If you were morbidly obese, then you could probably do this. But you aren't, so don't try to lose that quickly. You will screw up your metabolism and then gain it right back. Slow and steady is proven to work, and has a much higher success rate when it comes to keeping the weight off.

I agree! I am 162lbs and my eventual goal is 140 and there is no way I could lose 15lbs in a month. I aim for 2-4lbs per month. Slow and steady wins the race in the end!
    Someone else has mentioned the 30 Day Shred - I would recommend it and have lost a few inches already just from doing it a couple of days a week (combined with running and kettlebell workouts). If you search for it on the forums you will see photos of results. You could probably drop a dress size in a month if you do it everyday with a small loss on the scales as well.
  • rohmaansarii
    Options
    you lost 8lbs last month, which was good. Can't see 0.5 lbs/day being at all easy to do.

thats the sad part, i gained 4 lbs back :( so i just lost 4 lbs.
  • rohmaansarii
    Options
    and thank you everyone for the replies :) i feel a lot better and yes i'll just stick to losing weight the healthy way
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    This would be a good example of an unrealistic goal... :flowerforyou:
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Can it be done? Yes. The how it should be done is also another issue, but we shall opt for the "healthy" method for doing so and not a crash or fad diet that may put health at risk and means that your weight may go up once you stop the "diet".

... One notorious workout for inch loss & weight loss (you will see many posts about it) is Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. (You can even preview the first round on youtube.) There have been many great results with it. Something to check out for free to see if it might interest you.

30 Day Shred dvd box says "Lose 20 pounds in 30 days" -- but what it doesn't tell you is that the days aren't supposed to be consecutive. You are supposed to take recovery days. So the 30 days of working out is streched out over 40 calendar days.

That said, you can do it every day for 30 days. You might not lose the 15 lbs, but you will be better toned (and look like you've lost 15 lbs). I've lost 15 lbs so far (4 days left to go), but I've been taking rest days, so it's been 2 months.

Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No, with the amount you have to lose you should be set for about 0.5lbs/week so 30 weeks to lose 15lbs. Also keep in mind the less you have to lose the slower your loss should be. losing too fast will lead to the loss of a large % of lean muscle mass, not just the fat you are looking at losing.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    hmm i think i'll just set my mind to losing 8 lbs this month but will give it my best in the hope to lose more. haha :) i guess thats all i can do.. and yeah you guys are right if i go crazy this month i might end up gaining some, if not all, back next month. so yeah its better if i take things slow and steady :D
    thank you guys x

Smart lady :)