The Fat Acceptance Movement… Thoughts??

Options

Replies

• SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I am fat and I still love myself. I love fashion. However being this big is not healthy. I have two kids to live for. I am working on changing my life. I don't want to die, I don't want to live with diabetes, I want to be able to walk up stairs and sing a tune. Though I will never be super model thin, I strive to be fitter and more healthy...besides I love cute outfits and they are much cheaper in a smaller size.
  • Hasu
    Hasu Posts: 67
    Options
    There should be a level of acceptance, however its not something that should be encouraged.

Being treated differently because of being bigger isn't fair but it happens. I think that's something that needs to change because there are MANY bigger people who are taking steps to change their body BUT because of legit medical reasons the weight doesn't come off easily or at all and its not fair that they have to be treated poorly because even though they're doing all the right things, their body doesn't want to play ball.

So acceptance? Yes. Encouraged/Or acting as if its healthy? No.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Tell us what is being done that makes fat people feel like a sub-member of the species? Given that two thirds of Americans are reportedly overweight - are you suggesting that they all feel sub human?

I think unless you are truly brain dead you already know the answer to this question. I don't suspect you to be brain dead.

Negative comments slung at someone for being fat make them feel sub-human. Excessive or prolonged negative comments are most destructive.

Specifically we were discussing the education of the masses by groups and governments as to the dangers of being overweight and I was asking what these in particular are doing that makes overweight people feel sub-human, and at the risk of appearing brain dead, I genuinely don't know the answer to that. It seems that governments and health organisations are doing the right thing in presenting the facts and risks and advice regarding overeating/healthy eating without making anyone feel sub human - or am I wrong in thinking this?

We crossed streams then. I am not referring to govt or agencies educating. I'm referring to people doing it on their own.
    I work party time in such a community and there is not one person anywhere near 300 pounds. In fact, virtually all of them are thin and even underweight.

There is a large distinction between being overweight, and being 300 lbs which would for most people be not just obese, but morbidly obese.

I'm 220 lbs. My ideal weight is 205 lbs for my height. I am considered overweight. I am also a runner, have normal blood sugar, normal blood pressure, good cholesterol, etc... and I run typically 20-25 miles a week and hit the gym and do weights 3x out of the week. However, per many people here and in real life, I'm at risk of dying prematurely because I have a belly even though my fitness levels blow a lot of them out of the water (honestly I think that's just the PR way of saying "ew you're fat")

To the person that says that this stuff doesn't happen in real life, that people aren't really that mean except on the internet.... I just have one word for you. Lulz.

I could write a book filled with the garbage that I've had thrown my way for being fat from complete strangers. There is a giant difference in how people treat thin and in shape people with how they treat fat people. As in night and day.

Do I think fat people should accept that they are fat? I don't care really. Do I think that non-fat people should accept fat people? I think that people should treat others with respect and compassion. If you don't accept being fat, that's good on you. I don't accept being fat either that's why I workout.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I think its funny. I dont know. I think its funny cus its bad to be over weight, which it kind of is. But if they want to, who are we to point the finger at them. I think its even more hilarious that we say "do we really want to teach our children" lol Really? There is so much out there to begin with and that will teach your children, not just you. The media has your children and almost everyone in its power. but if you realize women are the main targets for everything. There will never be acceptance. That would take for people to be happy with themselves first and we are taught to never be satisfied.
  • Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My first response to this is that just because someone is overweight does not mean they are unhealthy, and I think this is a huge misconception in the general population.

True. Retirement communities are full of 85 year old 300lb women

Truth! where I live at there a couple of old ladies who are 250-300 lbs
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    I think it's indecent to treat anyone differently because they don't fit into what we call the norm (and you can take that as literal as you want it). However, we should not be complacent with being unhealthy - skinny or overweight. The government has tried to step in by banning trans fats or sugary sodas to get America's obesity problem under control, but at some point we've got to take responsibility for our own actions. Still there is no room for out right ridicule - you don't know what that person is going through, why they're there in the first place, nor if they've take the steps to change.
  • grnice
    grnice Posts: 96
    Options
    First of all, I say this with all due respect. Being overweight is a choice. I mean, sure there may be medical factors that contribute to one's obesity, but just to say "I can't exercise, so I'm going to continue eating unhealthy foods" is pre-meditated.

It bothers me when I read these stories of how medical personnel have to tear down a wall to get a 700 pound person out. The person says they WOULD lose weight, but they need help in order to do it. The BIGGEST problem I have with that is, on one hand you say you're being held prisoner by your weight. On the other, SOMEONE is bringing you food. And this is why say it's a matter of choice. Can one not make better choices for the food?

I would MUCH rather eat my Red Velvet Ice Cream DAILY rather than fruit. But I know I'll pay for it later. So I CHOOSE to limit myself. I CHOOSE to make better decisions regarding food. I CHOOSE to take my lunch everyday rather than buy food, which is cheaper AND I already know it's going to be in alignment with my weight loss plan.

It makes me so upset to read posts like this. You guys don't understand, when it gets to the 700 lb mark, it's a disease! It's just as bad as being a heroin addict. Yes, heroin is bad for you but people can't stop shooting it because they are addicted. It's the same way with food. When people say, "just put the fork down," it's not that easy.
  • pitbulllover
    pitbulllover Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My first response to this is that just because someone is overweight does not mean they are unhealthy, and I think this is a huge misconception in the general population.

True. Retirement communities are full of 85 year old 300lb women

My grandma lived till she was 95, and she was fat most of her life. Not 300 pounds... but about 4'10 and 160 or so. (Probably closer to 140 when she was young, and by the time she was 60-70 she was a beautiful albeit plump lady). And the weight never affected her, she was always healthy until she was over 90.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

To the person that says that this stuff doesn't happen in real life, that people aren't really that mean except on the internet.... I just have one word for you. Lulz.

I could write a book filled with the garbage that I've had thrown my way for being fat from complete strangers. There is a giant difference in how people treat thin and in shape people with how they treat fat people. As in night and day.

Do I think fat people should accept that they are fat? I don't care really. Do I think that non-fat people should accept fat people? I think that people should treat others with respect and compassion. If you don't accept being fat, that's good on you. I don't accept being fat either that's why I workout.

Can I just say that I love you? People are mean. I've had horrible things yelled at me on the street from passing cars, or people's windows. I refused to wear the color red for over 10 years after someone shouted "Hey, Kool-Aid!" out of their car at me. WHILE I WAS POWER WALKING to try and exercise. Humiliation, belittling, unsolicited advice, and general unkindness are NEVER OK, no matter who it is directed at.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    People are people regardless of the amount of fat they have on their bodies, and people should be accepted for who they are in terms of thoughts, feelings, personality, etc.

However, I am not about to be accepting of unhealthy lifestyles. The U.S. needs to set new food standards to push for healthier, cleaner options in stores and restaurants, for healthier portion sizes at restaurants, and for healthier food advertising.

To be accepting of fat is to say that I was okay with gaining weight and to be okay with the health problems that went along with it. This is my life and I refuse to accept that being fat and unhealthy is a standard I should be living with. I refuse to accept that my lifespan can be shortened by eating in an unhealthy and fattening manner. I want my lifespan to have longevity.

That's why every weekend now, I stock up on vegetables and fruits at the food store instead of cookies and ice-cream and pastries. That's why I've been trying new raw vegetables and fruits that I've never before given a chance. That's why I cut out soda and juices completely and stick to water, milk, and tea. That's why I've set my body into motion

That's why I joined this site, to stand up for myself in a Healthy Living Acceptance Movement.

None of this is to say that fat people are bad people. I'm overweight myself and I think I'm a good person, but I'm an unhealthy one.

What I'm saying is that I've been working to change that for my own wellbeing, and if our culture was more accepting toward healthier eating and smaller portion sizes, it would make my Healthy Living movement a lot easier on me.

To say I'm okay with the Fat Acceptance Movement is to say that things should remain going in the direction they're going, and I don't think that's fair to the people working so hard to save their own lives by reversing the effects this fat movement has on our health. This is like the fight against smoking. I know plenty of smokers who are great people, but their habits aren't helping anyone, including themselves. Unhealthy lifestyles in general are polluting our people, decreasing their lifespans, making them sick, and settling them into poor conditions of living while their friends and family around them watch in agony. I simply cannot stand for this.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Can I just say that I love you? People are mean. I've had horrible things yelled at me on the street from passing cars, or people's windows. I refused to wear the color red for over 10 years after someone shouted "Hey, Kool-Aid!" out of their car at me. WHILE I WAS POWER WALKING to try and exercise. Humiliation, belittling, unsolicited advice, and general unkindness are NEVER OK, no matter who it is directed at.

I really can't see any argument here.

Nobody is suggesting that yelling out rude things to someone is ok, be it about their weight, hair colour, dress sense or anything else for that matter.

You can have as many fat acceptance groups as you want but it still won't stop some louts in a car shouting and laughing at a fat person/ginger person/cross dresser/big nosed person etc etc
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

Nah, they are only 50. They just seem so much older due to the strain on their bodies! :wink:
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

My grandma lived till she was 95, and she was fat most of her life. Not 300 pounds... but about 4'10 and 160 or so. (Probably closer to 140 when she was young, and by the time she was 60-70 she was a beautiful albeit plump lady). And the weight never affected her, she was always healthy until she was over 90.

Can you people PLEASE stop using facts to ruin my otherwise perfectly good argument.
  • shari227
    shari227 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you.
  • pitbulllover
    pitbulllover Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    People are people regardless of the amount of fat they have on their bodies, and people should be accepted for who they are in terms of thoughts, feelings, personality, etc.

However, I am not about to be accepting of unhealthy lifestyles. The U.S. needs to set new food standards to push for healthier, cleaner options in stores and restaurants, for healthier portion sizes at restaurants, and for healthier food advertising.

To be accepting of fat is to say that I was okay with gaining weight and to be okay with the health problems that went along with it. This is my life and I refuse to accept that being fat and unhealthy is a standard I should be living with. I refuse to accept that my lifespan can be shortened by eating in an unhealthy and fattening manner. I want my lifespan to have longevity.

That's why every weekend now, I stock up on vegetables and fruits at the food store instead of cookies and ice-cream and pastries. That's why I've been trying new raw vegetables and fruits that I've never before given a chance. That's why I cut out soda and juices completely and stick to water, milk, and tea. That's why I've set my body into motion

That's why I joined this site, to stand up for myself in a Healthy Living Acceptance Movement.

None of this is to say that fat people are bad people. I'm overweight myself and I think I'm a good person, but I'm an unhealthy one.

What I'm saying is that I've been working to change that for my own wellbeing, and if our culture was more accepting toward healthier eating and smaller portion sizes, it would make my Healthy Living movement a lot easier on me.

To say I'm okay with the Fat Acceptance Movement is to say that things should remain going in the direction they're going, and I don't think that's fair to the people working so hard to save their own lives by reversing the effects this fat movement has on our health. This is like the fight against smoking. I know plenty of smokers who are great people, but their habits aren't helping anyone, including themselves. Unhealthy lifestyles in general are polluting our people, decreasing their lifespans, making them sick, and settling them into poor conditions of living while their friends and family around them watch in agony. I simply cannot stand for this.

I don't think the fat acceptance movement is about accepting unhealthy lifestyles. (I didn't start the movement, nor do I do much to support it other than say on this message board that I agree with it... so maybe I'm not the best person to reply).

But IMO, it's about accepting that we all come in different shapes and sizes. A fit size 16 woman should be looked at as just as beautiful as a fit size 2. Obviously we shouldn't be glorifying the extremes that are never healthy... If someone is 500 pounds, they shouldn't be content and accept it (and they should receive respect, support, and help to get healthy).
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    There are some benefits to being fat that I'm slowly realizing. The most obvious benefit to me now is that sitting or laying on hard surfaces is so much easier on your bones when you're fat.

It surprises me that people think others can't possibly be okay with being fat. I think that of course there are people that "say" they're okay with being fat when they actually aren't (for whatever reason), but I do believe there are people who are okay with being fat.

As for television shows that "glorify" people for being fat, if you don't like them, don't watch them. I don't understand why people have a problem with how fat other people are. The only time I take issue with someone else's weight is if they're sitting next to me on an airplane (although I used to be THAT person and I flew a lot so I was generally feeling sorry for the person next to me even when I got to turn left). I am not saying it's inappropriate to judge someone based on their weight, but if people truly accept being fat, they will have (or should have) already taken that into consideration.
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    First of all, I say this with all due respect. Being overweight is a choice. I mean, sure there may be medical factors that contribute to one's obesity, but just to say "I can't exercise, so I'm going to continue eating unhealthy foods" is pre-meditated.

It bothers me when I read these stories of how medical personnel have to tear down a wall to get a 700 pound person out. The person says they WOULD lose weight, but they need help in order to do it. The BIGGEST problem I have with that is, on one hand you say you're being held prisoner by your weight. On the other, SOMEONE is bringing you food. And this is why say it's a matter of choice. Can one not make better choices for the food?

I would MUCH rather eat my Red Velvet Ice Cream DAILY rather than fruit. But I know I'll pay for it later. So I CHOOSE to limit myself. I CHOOSE to make better decisions regarding food. I CHOOSE to take my lunch everyday rather than buy food, which is cheaper AND I already know it's going to be in alignment with my weight loss plan.

It makes me so upset to read posts like this. You guys don't understand, when it gets to the 700 lb mark, it's a disease! It's just as bad as being a heroin addict. Yes, heroin is bad for you but people can't stop shooting it because they are addicted. It's the same way with food. When people say, "just put the fork down," it's not that easy.

I'm sorry but actually it IS that easy. Every second of every day you select how you want to live and who you want to be the next second. Not only do you choose how to treat others, but you choose how to treat yourself. If you don't love/respect your body enough to keep it healthy.. how can anyone else respect you?

I'm speaking as someone who's previously lived a very unhealthy lifestyle - addictions and such. You set your mind to it and you stop doing the harmful behavior. It's REALLY that simple.
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There are some benefits to being fat that I'm slowly realizing. The most obvious benefit to me now is that sitting or laying on hard surfaces is so much easier on your bones when you're fat.

It surprises me that people think others can't possibly be okay with being fat. I think that of course there are people that "say" they're okay with being fat when they actually aren't (for whatever reason), but I do believe there are people who are okay with being fat.

As for television shows that "glorify" people for being fat, if you don't like them, don't watch them. I don't understand why people have a problem with how fat other people are. The only time I take issue with someone else's weight is if they're sitting next to me on an airplane (although I used to be THAT person and I flew a lot so I was generally feeling sorry for the person next to me even when I got to turn left). I am not saying it's inappropriate to judge someone based on their weight, but if people truly accept being fat, they will have (or should have) already taken that into consideration.

Wow, I'm generally very sorry for you. There's nothing okay with being fat. No one should accept their bodies this way. I've never hit unhealthy BMI, but I've had other very unhealthy habits. Such as smoking - you bet your a** that I felt nauseous thinking about what I was doing to myself every single day... So one day.. I stopped. Probably too late because I;m 22 with the lung capacity of a 60 yr old.. but I'm healing.. the fact is there was nothing okay with that. I had people around me everyday for 7+ years telling me how NOT okay that was. Eventually... it came down to me making a decision to be better. That's what it comes down to. If you love yourself, you treat yourself well. Treating yourself well involves being healthy and being at a healthy weight and working on it. No one said it'd be easy... they just said it'd be worth it.
  • diemodemdie
    Options
    This is late in the game, but I'll slap my opinion around some.

I think that fat acceptance is a necessary tolerance that everyone should have. Should we discriminate against fat people? Of course not. They are no different from you or your neighbor or...ANYONE. They're just fat. Read this as I THINK WE SHOULD ACCEPT FAT PEOPLE FOR WHO THEY ARE.

Do I accept people for BEING fat? Absolutely not.

Before I get all flamed for this and such, hear me out. I don't think fat acceptance is something that should be used to excuse your body weight. That's laughable in my mind.

Do I believe there are people that are predispositioned to be fat? Yes. But much like ADHD, which apparently everyone and their mother has in the 20th century, I think people use it as an excuse for their behavior. That "well, I'm gonna be fat no matter if I eat this ham slathered in butter or this grilled asparagus" is somehow an acceptable perception of one's life.

I would bet 9/10 MFPers were skinny as a rail at age 10. We were not BORN fat. And unless I'm mistaken, I don't think fat is a "late life onset disease". As our lives evolve and metabolisms change, so does our ability to lose fat. In fact, science has proven that we have the same amount of fat cells in our body as they day we were born - but those cells shrink and grow depending on the diet we have and age we are.

When you're a kid, you have busy days - school, homework, playing, sports - all of it consumes vast amounts of energy and calories, so we could eat the crappiest of diets and come out whistlin' dixie at the end of the day. But as you age, your life becomes increasingly sedentary. You work at a job where you're sitting or doing the same menial task all day every day. Hell, try to go back to school after a few years of absence and then tell me you don't feel exhausted at the end of the day from all the work that thinking takes up! The kids need the extra calories, and I think we deny our aging because we still want to eat the family size bag of Doritos chips and still lose 2 pounds the next day.

Look, I love chips and candy and soda as much as the next guy, but think about it - those things only came into existence within the last 2 centuries - and they're horribly processed. They're made as cheaply as can be while retaining quality. And they make mass quantities, which demands foods that have a longer shelf life, so they're packed with preservatives and other scary chemicals.

Read what's on the back of your next bottle of Mountain Dew or Pringles and tell me the fact that there's over 20 ingredients doesn't scare the hell out of you.

The thing is effort. It is hard to lose weight. It is hard to conform to a dietary change. It is hard to exercise. It's hard, it's hard, IT'S HARD.

But y'know what? That just says to me that we've lost our way as a race. That we have become accepting of our cushy lifestyle and that we are pleased to simply exist. That instant gratification is good enough.

As stupid as this sounds, Dumbledore from Harry Potter said it best: there comes a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.

We have all been given this great gift of life. Whether you believe in God or don't, in the end, what we have right now is all we have for the time being! Every day, there are times where we felt we are missing a great opportunity - to date that girl/guy, to get that new job or car, or to win that contest. But we are missing the greatest opportunity of all: LIFE!

So yes, it's all hard. It's blood, sweat, and tears. But that makes you feel alive! The vessel that you call your body is carrying you through life, and how do you treat it? With abuse and neglect. Appreciate it for what it can do! When I see some extra flab show up on my body, I feel kind of bad because I know my body doesn't need it. I ask you to show me a person who doesn't appreciate a day where they used their muscles to a reasonable potential, a day where they pass out early and sleep for 10 hours because their body needed it and you feel sore yet satisfied. That's probably one of my favorite feelings ever simply because I know I was using my body to experience something worthwhile.

I am not saying the change will be instant. I am not saying that you won't feel tired, or people won't make fun of you. But me, personally, I never make fun of fat people at the gym because they are trying. They're not trying to find another excuse to eat a twinkie. They are trying to make themselves better or healthier. Even if you're 450 pounds walking 2.5 mph on a treadmill, you're still outlapping everyone on the couch.

In short: I think we should accept fat people for being the same PERSON as you or I, but should not accept fat as an excuse to not try.

I'll end on another quote, by FDR "Do something. If it works, do more of it. If it doesn't, do something else."

Best of luck to all of you! :smile: