Does anyone eat whatever they want just within calories?

Options

Replies

• RichOC
    RichOC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I totally eat like crap, I just eat less of it. I figure that'll only take me so far though and at some point I'll have to clean it up some. But until then I'll ride the pizza and swiss cake rolls as far as they'll take me, lol.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I do! Step one for me is just figuring out how much to eat, but still eating the things I want, step two will be trying to make thing healthier, but I'm not there yet. I still eat cookies, sweets, fried food, etc, just a LOT less!!
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    Yes, but I try to make better choices (more veggies, whole wheat, etc) ..it's worked for me so far....but we'll see how long it lasts.
  • vonallena
    vonallena Posts: 34
    Options
    No because if I ate anything I wanted, I would have a can of coke everyday and we all know the implications of that. That one can has more sugar than I should be consuming in one day so I can't... :(

I'm definitely considering what foods will also give me other benefits...most bang for the buck, I guess.
    And since I'm also eating less than I used to, I'm eating a lot more fiber and protein to keep me feeling full longer so I'm not tempted to snack.
  • hotjot88
    hotjot88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try to stay within my daily calorie allowance but so far i have had a few days where i exceeded. I am working on that issue.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I eat super healthy and stay in my calorie range Monday - Saturday. On Sundays I eat whatever I want!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, kind of. If I want something "bad", I find a way to fit it in. But, 95% of the time I make better & conscious choices so I can eat more food. I'd rather fill my empty belly with a half a plate of veggies than 1 cookie. But if I want a cookie-I find a way to make it work.
  • badgranola
    badgranola Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    For me the key is moderation. And substitutions. When I want dessert, I make a low cal version of something delicious. :) I've lost about 19 pounds so far.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    No...I eat whatever I want within my macros. Calories are just one thing I track...
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    at times, like on the weeekends, for now, within reason. I don't go crazy, but don't restrict, either, because I know soon enough I'll have to for a bit again, boo.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    That's how I started, but then I naturally transitioned into making better choices. With limited calories, I realized that if I was to get all of the necessary nutrition that was optimal, I needed to make better, more nutrient-dense choices. From there, I eventually adopted a primarily whole food, grain free way of eating.

And for the inevitable respondents who will say that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're under your calories, take note of their age. In my opinion, based on my own observations, this approach tends to work well for a lot of people when they're younger, but not so much when they're older.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i can't do that. if i did then i'd have days where i ate nothing but 3 candy bars or 4 bags of chips and a pack of hot dogs. i really need to pay attention to my macros now.

i think if i didnt work out as hard as i do it wouldnt make a difference. it's damn near impossible to get through a tough lifting routine or a sprint HIIT session if you've only had a small popcorn and a coke as fuel
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I did this for the first couple of days, but my body is very sensitive to what I put in it. I realized that eating gross high-carb food didn't satisfy me as much as eating nutritious foods rich in fiber and protein. I have more energy, I'm less hungry, and I just feel better during my day.

What I do is I take something I like, but would consider "off-limits", and I figure out what I like about it. For example, a gingerbread cookie or cinnamon roll is sweet, soft to bite into with a crispy edge, and spicy. Well, so are cinnamon-sprinkled sweet potato wedges, and I don't feel sick after I eat a serving of those.
  • sjohnson1961
    Options
    i've lost 26 pounds just through calorie counting and running, i ignore sugar and fat and the rest:wink:
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't. I make conscious decisions regarding the healthfulness of everything I eat. For me that's part of the "lifestyle" versus "diet" part. I am fueling my body, and trying to do it well.

Granted, I didn't adopt that sort of thinking til i was in my mid 30s...

Same here. 95% of food i put in my mouth is being made by conscious decision what is being needed to refuel my body to stay active ans strong.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Yes, sort of. I really need my calories to count. So although I cater to my desire for a treat, I make sure my macros are great, so my body is nourished and I feel truly satisfied...ultimately supporting me in this diet effort for the long haul!
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Kinda, sorta, maybe, not really
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I did it that way and I found I was still hungry a lot. You can get more satiating food per calorie if you eat better. Granted I still have something "unhealthy" damn near every day as I have no interest in depriving myself of something I really want
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I do that sometimes, but when I do sometimes I end up with using all of my caloric intake up before dinner. Then I am hungry. All calories aren't the same. I try to add foods that will fill me up, so that I don't have the problem of being so hungry that I give in, and go crazy. Plus for me it is learning to eat what my body needs to be healthy.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    No I don't/haven't done this. I wanted to change how I ate completely for my life and eating foods that helped get me fat were not part of that goal. I want food that fills me up nutritionally. We didnt want to buy junk bc you are more inclined to binge and I have seen that happen many times on here. We did cheat meals, not binge days, once every 2 weeks or so. By doing this I was to never have to deal with a binging episode. Since I'm now in maintenance I have been reintroducing those foods back in moderation. Honestly it's not even stuff I crave anymore either. People say you can't live like this and that's pure BS. You have control over what you eat; I rather eat healthy now over junk anyway.