Does anyone eat whatever they want just within calories?

Options

Replies

• sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    I kinda do.Some choices I make r healthier but mostly I try n keep portions under control.Those 100 calorie snack pack things are wonderful 4 me. Been doing this for a month and exercising n have lost 8.5 lbs and 6 inches
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    100 calories of fruit is going to be much better for you than 100 calories of chocolate................................how strong is your commitment!?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want but i try to meet my macro goals for protein, fat and carbs.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I'm trying to take a bit more care with my snacks as I have been known to finish off my final 450 calories of the day by eating 4 chocolate biscuits :(
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If you think eating 1800 calories of burgers and fries versus 1800 cals of leans meats, fruit and veges are the same that is incorrect thinking. True you will lose weight by simply lessening your cals, but are you doing your body any better? Probably not. There are a lot of unhealthy 'skinny' people out there.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    That's how I started, but then I naturally transitioned into making better choices. With limited calories, I realized that if I was to get all of the necessary nutrition that was optimal, I needed to make better, more nutrient-dense choices. From there, I eventually adopted a primarily whole food, grain free way of eating.

And for the inevitable respondents who will say that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're under your calories, take note of their age. In my opinion, based on my own observations, this approach tends to work well for a lot of people when they're younger, but not so much when they're older.

I totally agree with this. As far as weight loss in concerned, eat whatever you want within your calorie allowance. But as far as health is concerned, you should consider your choices. For me, it makes a huge difference in my energy level as well.

I think if you strive to make healthier choices, it becomes easier over time. The crap food doesn't look so appealing any more. Of course, if there's something you really want, don't deprive yourself of it either. Just be reasonable about it.
  • mmbray3000
    Options
    I don't deprive myself of the "wants", but I do limit the intake of them:) Just remember you must burn more than you take in to continue your weight loss at a healthy pace:):smile:
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have done just watched calories more so than making the best choices to get the first 40 off. However, I am now going to try to clean up what I eat somewhat until I get to where I want to be. But I will never completely give up my favorites.
  • LHudson53
    LHudson53 Posts: 126
    Options
    I try to eat healthy within my calorie allotment, but if I go to a party or something where I can't control it, I just try to stay within the calories eating whatever is available...
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I essentially do, but I have a problem with binge-eating high fat foods so I tend to restrict my fat below 25%, just to make sure that I'm only taking in reasonable servings of things like chips, fries or cake. Otherwise, I eat whatever I want, but I find that I'm wanting a lot more things that are good for me, rather than fatty, oily, salty and sugary crap!
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I eat things I enjoy. I still eat out a few times a month too.

Granted, I'm eating healthier, no processed foods, no chips and cookies. I do still have a candybar here and there.
    Still have a soda occasionally. I don't skimp on my meals though.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight in the begining last year that way. I ate watever as long as it was uver my 12oo cal limits. I lost 45lbs in 5 months but guess what when I got to goal weight I still ate like that and 15lbs came right back on. This time I am training myself to make better choices and to be healthy. Theres no point in being skinny if your not healthy.
  • jlebert716
    jlebert716 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I do, I try to get in enough protein but other than that dont pay much attention to the macros
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want but try to have days where I prepare fresh, whole food meals too, and I try to make those the majority, though some weeks I am less *good* than others.

If I want chocolate, I have chocolate, but I know I can't have it all the time. If I deny myself it I will just go for the whole packet.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat whatever I want, but am Very conscious of my macros... so often times, that will influence what I will eat. :)
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I eat what ever I want when I want for the most part and within limits. It is all about moderation. For example If I want chocolate instead of eating a whole candy bar I just have like 2 pieces.

I have lost almost 40 pounds doing this and several inches :)

I personally do not see the point in forcing your self to be extremely strict and not allowing things you like because that would just cause me to give up faster.

Everyone is different so just do what works for you :)
  • sydneywb86
    sydneywb86 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that it's less about taking foods out of your diet and more about putting in good ones.

With that in mind, I have tried pretty much every fad diet there is. To no avail (obviously). And of late, have adopted the following attitude:
    -I love food
    -I can and will eat all the foods I love yet in moderation
    -I will make a concerted effort to add more fruits and vegetables, fiberous foods and protein to my daily diet
    -i will allow myself 'cheat' days and meals (that way I don't feel like I CANT have my favorite food, I love me some mexican and italian food) but instead I know I WILL have it on a certain day. Somehow the build up of anticipation helps make the food taste better.)

I have also found that on 'cheat' days I tend to not eat as much for a day or two after my large meal (maybe its my body's way of re-setting my metabolism??)

So the answer to your question is yes...and umm, no...lol! Depending on the day.
  • dollydye
    dollydye Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For everyone that said they eat "good" foods not just what you want to fill your calories tell me what you typically eat?
  • aamc04321
    aamc04321 Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes AND No :smile:

I do my best to make healthy choices. I agree w the person that said "it's not just the quantity of calories but also the quality of calories". You get more bang for your buck that way. In other words theres alot more food to eat if most of the calories I consume are plants. BUT.... I allow myself my treats, and my occasional off days, and the foods that I Cannot Live Without. I make room in my calorie allowance and try not to treat myself toooo much. Once in a while I go over, but I keep my exercise up so it doesn't sabotage my progress. I try and keep in mind that is how I got here anyways, overindulgence!
  • Code2fornow
    Code2fornow Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do and I don't. I never tell myself I "can't" have anything because I then crave it until I get it and it ruins everything. If I know I'm going to be near my period I try to plan ahead for chocolate cravings and buy mini candy bars or hershey's kisses so that I can indulge but I don't binge. that being said, I find that it's harder to stay within my calorie allowance if I don't pay attention to the foods I eat AND I feel better when I eat less "crap". I've also found that when I'm working out I think of my body differently and I anticipate the results I will get, therefore, I don't want to ruin them by adding empty calories and forcing myself to work harder just to get rid of them.