Does anyone eat whatever they want just within calories?

Options

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    So most of u say it's ok to eat craP as long as ur with in ur cals?? That's crazy. If I wanted a big Mac at 700 calories and a doc pepper for another 200 and then a candy bar as long as I stay under my goal of 1300 that's ok? Wow I totally disagree

For the purposes of fat loss, yes, it is ok.

Doing that every day and hitting your calorie deficit will make you lose weight.

However, will it be healthy? Ofc not. And doing that the chances are you wont be full, so will end up eating more going over your cals. However, the weight gain from that wont be due to the "bad" food, it'll be due to the calorie excess.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Helped me drop 81 pounds, and stick to my diet of loosing weight:)

I eat what I want just in small portions, and stay within my calorie limit:)
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I try to make better choices..but sometimes if i have enough calories for some dessert..or something sweet at night..I do so.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    For weight loss purposes, a calorie is a calorie. You don't lose faster by eating healthier foods.

For satiety purposes, usually higher fiber & protein and healthy fats will keep you sated longer. So I usually try to eat those, especially in the day time.

It depends on what you want to eat on if it's unhealthy overall. A lot of people, their foods of choice are perfectly healthy.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess. so, in other words, eat what you want -- often, just less of it. portion control, kids. I've dropped 41 this way, and that's a miniscule amount compared to many others on here. so, yeah, I'd say it works ok.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    So most of u say it's ok to eat craP as long as ur with in ur cals?? That's crazy. If I wanted a big Mac at 700 calories and a doc pepper for another 200 and then a candy bar as long as I stay under my goal of 1300 that's ok? Wow I totally disagree

I didn't say that it's ok to eat crap all day everyday. And you can certainly lose weight eating craps, as long as it's under the caloric goal. But is it healthy? No. It's about balance, whatever balance that works for the people to easily and happily maintain.
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I do that. It's true that healthy eating would mean faster weight loss but I'm not going to go on yet another diet I screw up by days like today. ^-^
  • workhardplayhard
    workhardplayhard Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Actually yes and there have been studies to back up that calories burned vs calories ingested regardless of caloric type can actually work for weight loss. However, it isn't the most healthy thing to do. For me personally, I just prefer protein and salad to anything else........for the most part. But it helped me loose 20lbs and get decently ripped. My downfall is beer:)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    To be honest, we've been eating really clean lately and I haven't even been counting calories. I eat what feels good, which always ends up being fruits, veggies, lean meats, stuff like that. Before we started eating like this and I was counting all the time, I was always craving more more more because I felt deprived. When I stopped counting and started eating things I knew were good, I stopped feeling deprived of things. I run a lot, so I know I need the fuel.

Sorry, I'm pretty sure that made no sense! Basically, once I stopped eating naughty things all the time, I knew I didn't need to count as much because I'm not consuming empty calories... I'm fueling my body. If I feel hungry, it's because I need it.
  • karagetsfit
    karagetsfit Posts: 191
    Options
    No, I eat clean and healthy.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    the short answer is yes I do - but most times prefer to eat healthy because 1 single chocolate bar won't fill me up and can lead to a binge.
  • gnarlynoodle
    gnarlynoodle Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    No I don't/haven't done this. I wanted to change how I ate completely for my life and eating foods that helped get me fat were not part of that goal. I want food that fills me up nutritionally. We didnt want to buy junk bc you are more inclined to binge and I have seen that happen many times on here. We did cheat meals, not binge days, once every 2 weeks or so. By doing this I was to never have to deal with a binging episode. Since I'm now in maintenance I have been reintroducing those foods back in moderation. Honestly it's not even stuff I crave anymore either. People say you can't live like this and that's pure BS. You have control over what you eat; I rather eat healthy now over junk anyway.

Word.
    I don't eat perfect, but I'm not going to eat a bunch of junk and consider it "okay" because it's within my calories. I see so many people start threads or post comments about being frustrated at slow or minimal weight loss because t hey are "doing everything right" but yet their diary consists of daily take out and/or sweets. It just doesn't work that way.
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Guilty. Like right now, I just ate a cup and a half of frozen yogurt because I still had over 900 calories of my daily value to eat. :\ Even after eating that, I still have 600 calories left, but doubt I'll eat anything else after dinner (which is already logged).
    I don't do it every day, but I have done it.
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    I know I would probably lose more faster if I didn't do this but I eat whatever I want just stay under my calories is that ok? Does anyone else do this? I feel like if I don't eat what I want I give up early and easier.

Yes ma'am! I eat big macs (minus the top bun and one meat for less calories), corn dogs, hot dogs (but I do eat Hebrew National 97% fat free), pizza, etc but I do try to incorporate healthier foods because I know that they cost less calories and I can eat more and its just healthier. But I certainly dont beat myself up for eating "bad foods" and I don't let anyone talk me down because I eat what I want when I want (under my limit). And there's times that I've done fast food only diets to prove to my mean assed friends that it is possible to eat unhealthy and lose weight. Just because sometimes they can be haters.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    For everyone that said they eat "good" foods not just what you want to fill your calories tell me what you typically eat?

My diary is open. (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6 )

Lately, in seemingly random order, it's been eggs, coconut oil, coffee, kerrygold butter, mct oil, salmon/swordfish/someotherkindoffish, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, olive oil, grassfed roast/steak/someredmeat, 85% G&B chocolate, turnips, beets, onions, more red meat, bone broth, nectarines, cantaloupe, tomatoes, other veggies, etc.

In other words, as much as I can, just good whole food.

EDIT: to fix the link...
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    No. Quality of food counts. "x" calories of junk food does not equal "x" calories of quality food. Our bodies need good, nutrient rich food. So .. eating 1700 calories of junk food just isn't acceptable.

Agree!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

why?
  • valerierackly74
    valerierackly74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do this. It's much easier, I'm making a change in my life and this is what I'm going to do for the rest of my life, if I want something, I'll have it but in moderation. I'm not going to not eat it because it isn't healthy, because I'll just end up craving it more and binging on it. I do however try to eat healthy, because i find I can eat more of it and I actually like it!

i do this too. if this weight-loss things going to work it needs to be with what you like and what fits your lifestyle. i eat what i like but i find i like more healthier stuff the longer i go on. and i eat smaller portions now even when i'm not particularly trying. its got to habit and normal to your routine. i even like a little more exercise these days.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just remember, evaluating a diet for if it will cause you to lose weight is different from evaluating a diet for if it is healthy. Losing weight is a *fairly* simple calculation that *at least starts* with calories in vs. calories out. Determination of health in a diet is ridiculously more complex.
  • Dr229
    Dr229 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I DO BUT IN MODERATION. I HAVE STAYED AWAY FROM THE SWEETS AND I PAY MORE ATTENTION TO WHAT I EAT ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO NUTRITIONAL VALUES. I EXCERISING HELPS ME TO TO WARD OFF CRAVINGS TOO.