Does anyone eat whatever they want just within calories?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For everyone that said they eat "good" foods not just what you want to fill your calories tell me what you typically eat?
    Don't know if I'd say yesterday was "good foods" but this is what I ate. I always eat about like this, and have been at a 21-22% BMI for the last 12 years:

breakfast
    nonfat plain greek yogurt
    chia seeds
    almond butter

snacks:
    string cheese
    watermelon

Lunch:
    shirataki noodles
    kimchi
    onions
    bell peppers
    2ish ounces of organic turkey sausage

snack:
    watermelon
    pistachios

Dinner:
    3 large home made meatballs
    a huge chop salad
    wine

100 ounces of water
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    So most of u say it's ok to eat craP as long as ur with in ur cals?? That's crazy. If I wanted a big Mac at 700 calories and a doc pepper for another 200 and then a candy bar as long as I stay under my goal of 1300 that's ok? Wow I totally disagree

why?

Well for one because it's my opinion and I'm entitled to have one. But also just it's my lifestyle change. Eat crap food isn't healthy if that's all u eat. I choose to not eat fast food or drink pop. If I want a burger I make my own, same with pizza. I still eat chocolate and sometimes a cookie or chips but by crap food I mean overly greasy, fatty, no nutritional value foods. Plus I'm setting an example for my kids I don't want them growning up addicted to junk foods
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I know I would probably lose more faster if I didn't do this but I eat whatever I want just stay under my calories is that ok? Does anyone else do this? I feel like if I don't eat what I want I give up early and easier.

I've spent some effort in balancing my fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. It's helped me become more satisfied with less food and I have a lot more energy, and I'm feeling like I can build more stamina through my exercise.

You CAN lose weight by simply eating less of whatever you are currently eating, but losing weight is not the be-all and end-all of health. Building cardiovascular stamina and lowering body fat percentage seem to be the keys to feeling better about my overall physical condition.

But losing weight healthy > losing weight at all > doing nothing and not losing weight. So pretty much no matter what you are doing, if you're losing weight and not starving yourself, you are doing your body good.

Maybe not the most possible good you COULD be doing, but hell - something is better than nothing, and compare yourself to the vast majority of overweight people either ignoring the problem or going out on magic pills or cleanses or unicorn powder, and you're treating your body with a whole lot of respect even if you ARE only reducing the portions of bad foods you eat.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    The most important part of this is sustainability. No good eating uber clean and healthy to lose weight, then go back to your old ways and gain it back again. Find whatever works for you so that you can maintain it long term. If that means eating salads and chicken, go for it! If it means eating what you always did, just in smaller amounts, go for it!

I wish i was one of the lucky ones who can eat salads and "healthy" food forever, but since i cant stand it, there's no way im living the next 40-50 years eating foods i dont like every day. Sod that. :)

Not trying to be healthy, just healthier.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    So most of u say it's ok to eat craP as long as ur with in ur cals?? That's crazy. If I wanted a big Mac at 700 calories and a doc pepper for another 200 and then a candy bar as long as I stay under my goal of 1300 that's ok? Wow I totally disagree

why?

Well for one because it's my opinion and I'm entitled to have one. But also just it's my lifestyle change. Eat crap food isn't healthy if that's all u eat. I choose to not eat fast food or drink pop. If I want a burger I make my own, same with pizza. I still eat chocolate and sometimes a cookie or chips but by crap food I mean overly greasy, fatty, no nutritional value foods. Plus I'm setting an example for my kids I don't want them growning up addicted to junk foods

You assume all of us are trying to get "healthy". That's your mistake.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yes....and no. I am trying to build muscle, so im not in a calorie deficit. That being said, I have to eat a LOT of protein. So basically, I eat what figs into my macronutrient list. Some days are much better than others. Eating under your calories will make you lose weight, even if its junk. You will FEEL better and be healthier with nutritious foods. I find limiting my "fun" foods causes me to obsess over them and then binge, so I don't cut them out.
  • tthroenle
    tthroenle Posts: 6
    Options
    Actually I keep track of my carb load because everyone's body chemistry has a different isulin resistance. Meaning that if you eat too many carbs, even within your calorie goal, your body isn't capable of burning the carbs and getting to the fat. My goal is 35% carbs/40% protien/25% fat.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hormones play most of the role in weight loss... I'm sure you've heard of insulin and how put body cannot burn fat when there is an abundance of glucose in our blood... For me ... I tried just watching calories and my weight loss really picked up when I cut carbs... Unfortunately the theory of a calorie is a calorie is complete bs in my book... But to each they're own...
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Exactly!!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I *sort of* eat whatever I want. I have not made any decisions to "never eat X" again, and I only pay a little attention to my macros. I still go to my favorite restaurants, and I still eat my favorite foods. I still have dessert now and then, and even occasionally have candy. And, actually, I eat chocolate every day in my anti-oxidant trail mix. :)

However, while I do not actively deny myself any foods, I have made a purposeful effort to add in foods that I like that I know are good for me. For example, I like carrots, so I make sure to eat some every day. I don't think of it as eating carrots instead of cake, because a) I enjoy the carrots (especially with my yummy Greek yogurt ranch dip!); and b) if I have enough calories left, I can eat the cake, too!
  • GreenEyedLady1
    Options
    i do.

however, because i made a lifestyle change, there are some things i just don't have. no soda. no juice. no coffee or tea. i drink only water and occasionally a small glass of chocolate milk. i eat a ton of healthier stuff now, way more veggies and lean meats. i eat very little frozen or pre-packaged meals. i very very rarely have anything fast food. and never burgers and fries. taco bell and chinese food very occasionally (total 3 times a month *maybe*) are my 'fast food' indulgences. i also like being able to have cake and ice cream if there is a family get together. i just eat a lot less of it than i used to. it's nice to not be 'on a diet'. im just much more conscious about everything i eat and how much. so, if i want a cookie...i work it in to my day. if im going out somewhere nice for dinner and want dessert, i'll eat lighter breakfast and lunch and just make sure i have the calories. but, i also indulge a lot less, which for me, makes it worth a lot more when i do.

like anything else in life, it's a very delicate balance.
    ive lost slowly but consistently. and i very very rarely have cravings for something or feel hungry, because if i want something, i have it as long as i have the calories. and now that i have cut a lot of the bad crap out, i find i want it a lot less anyway.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You will have more success if you make those cals count with whole unprocessed nutritious balanced meals. By more success I mean better weightloss, satiety, energy, disease resistence, muscle tone, skin complexion, mood.... you name it and healthy eating and exercise will make it better.

With your current approach, I'm sorry to say, but you'll probably just gain back anything you lose and more. When you're ready, you can find success by adopting a overall healty lifestyle, not just a calorie cutting bandaid. Best of luck to you.
  • AndMee
    AndMee Posts: 23
    Options
    Not that everybody's bodies are the same, but when I first started working out, I mean really working out, I kept my diet within the calorie range, however what I found, over time my body didn't want the greasy hamburgers or fries. Slowly my body was telling me I had to make better food choices. Don't get me wrong, there are those days (far and few between now) when I crave a fast food hamburger, but I make sure I burn more than enough calories before I have one.

If you are ok with your eating habit and obtaining a goal, I don't see what the big deal is. You may plateau quicker and when that day comes you will be the one to decide what you want to do next.

Good Luck!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    If you think "a calorie is a calorie" is BS you might want to read up on the definition of a calorie, and then the first law of thermodynamics.
  • KeishaK89
    KeishaK89 Posts: 40
    Options
    My answer to this queston is yes, I eat whatever I want within my calories. But if you eat a cheeseburger for 650cals and your limit is 1200 a day, i would rather not starve the rest of the day. Eating home cooked and lots and lots of veggies keeps me full all day.

Good Luck Everyone!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

why?

not attacking you. just seems a strong, blanket statement to make. everything we eat is used as fuel. so, while of course we need to also eat things that are 'good for us,' like veggies, etc., nothing says we can't also eat stuff we like. moderation is the key. make it fit and enjoy. just seems a much happier lifestyle change to me is all.

If you think "a calorie is a calorie" is BS you might want to read up on the definition of a calorie, and then the first law of thermodynamics.

how dare you bring science into this!
  • amymaegan
    amymaegan Posts: 13
    Options
    i do eat whatever i want, but the lifestyle change that i'm making is that i'm now eating less than i would have in the past. while i'm still eating rice or mashed potatoes, i'm eating smaller portions and keeping it in my calorie range. there are some things that, while i want them very badly, i know that if i eat even the smallest amount, it would keep me from being in my calorie range for the rest of the day. namely, mac and cheese or french fries.

i will say that even though i can work in fast food and still be under in calories, after i eat it my blood pressure rises and my stomach hurts and i get a headache. this is coming from someone who used to eat fast food literally every day. your body definitely adjusts to being healthier and you don't have to worry about the eating as much.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

why?

You assume all of us are trying to get "healthy". That's your mistake.

and, apart from everything else, any weight you lose immediately makes you healthier than you were last week. because you are, presumably, eating less (better on your heart, joints, etc.) and moving more (better on your heart, joints, etc.) so losing weight in and of itself means you are getting healthier.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

With your current approach, I'm sorry to say, but you'll probably just gain back anything you lose and more. When you're ready, you can find success by adopting a overall healty lifestyle, not just a calorie cutting bandaid. Best of luck to you.

uh ... ok.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i eat whatever long as it is in my calorie range and fat intake range