Why can't I eat at night?

Options
Duck_Puddle
Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
I've spent WAY too much time on these forums today, but I've seen at least 7 people emphatically state that you shouldn't eat x number of hours before you go to bed (x being 2/3 hrs or a cutoff of 7/8pm which I'm assuming translates to 2/3/4 hrs before bed). I will eat a total of 1500 calories today. I'm eating about 650 of those now (it's 9pm where I am), and I'll probably have another 200-300 in my pj's in my bed in a couple of hours. I'll go to "bed" around 11.

This is my daily routine-except I'm eating dinner earlier than usual. I'm not terribly interested in changing my schedule (unless there is a compelling reason to do so)-I'm just curious why I "can't" successfully lose weight eating at night. Since I've seen it posted several times today-I'm hoping someone can chime in and let me know the physiological reasoning behind why eating at night is bad for me.

Replies

• toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    hmm, (fingers to chin) not sure!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in the response to this. Thanks for asking it!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Blame her:

33jjzfa.jpg
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it has to do with your activity level during those hours. During the day when you're up and moving around, your body allows you to burn the calories that you're consuming. At night, most people just sit around and then when you go to bed your body is completely still and shut down. That was always my take on it.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason you can't eat at night.

I wouldn't recommend eating while sleeping though...it's messy, and very difficult to log properly.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

I wouldn't recommend eating while sleeping though...it's messy, and very difficult to log properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5-BGyx-RNg
  • crisanderson27
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5-BGyx-RNg

:laugh:
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You CAN eat at night. Many people do. They don't gain weight while doing it unless they are eating very bad things and going over their calorie limits. I usually don't eat dinner until 9-11pm. I've lost 20lbs. Just make sure you are in your calorie intake and you will be fine!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it has to do with your activity level during those hours. During the day when you're up and moving around, your body allows you to burn the calories that you're consuming. At night, most people just sit around and then when you go to bed your body is completely still and shut down. That was always my take on it.
    Your body does NOT shut down at night, if it did, you wouldn't wake up.
  • Smiley1Q
    Smiley1Q Posts: 2
    Options

I thought this to be true untill I thought about it. its more like calories in and calories out. Even if your body stores up food at night, the next morning/day you will still burn off more then you ate the day before (assuming you dont binge eat before bed). I think that if you stick to your goal and add in a little exercise you will be ok.
  • AmyP619
    Options
    thank you for your EXCELLENT smart *kitten* input. I realize that.... I think you know what I meant. you're sleeping, not running a marathon.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    thank you for your EXCELLENT smart *kitten* input. I realize that.... I think you know what I meant. you're sleeping, not running a marathon.

He wasn't being a smart *kitten*...promise. You may have understood what you meant...but there's a LOT of people on this board who would have taken you literally.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    This only applies to people who watch Oprah and/or read fashion magazines and have had the ability to think critically or seek out updated information surgically removed from their brains. I vividly remember Oprah on with her trainer guy saying "the reason you don't eat breakfast in the morning is you're still full from all that food you done ate last night!" Lulz. Anyway, even in that show it was 1 hour or something. This whole don't eat for 4 hours before you sleep thing represents a need to "know" a lot even if you don't know anything so as to tamp down the anxiety and insecurity one has in embarking on a difficult goal: losing significant weight.

You won't find people on here who are here to manage macros and gain muscle/body recompose/get lower body fat say those silly things.

Just the folks trying to lose a lot of weight. You have done them a great service by being a target of their "informed" advice, as being able to repeat it over and over makes it seem like it is true (ask Karl Rove about that) and that lowers their stress hormones, which really DOES have an influence on weight.

You appear to have your ability to think critically and deeply fully intact and robust, so don't worry about it, this particular brand of ho-science does not actually work for you.
  • AmyP619
    Options
    I guess next time I will try to spell it out for people lol it sounded like he was being smart, but anywho! I always hear from doctors and online and whatnot that it isn't good to eat at night, but I don't think I've ever heard an actual explanation. Logically it makes sense that if you're sedentary at night you wouldn't burn them, but who knows!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I guess next time I will try to spell it out for people lol it sounded like he was being smart, but anywho! I always hear from doctors and online and whatnot that it isn't good to eat at night, but I don't think I've ever heard an actual explanation. Logically it makes sense that if you're sedentary at night you wouldn't burn them, but who knows!
    You burn quite a few calories just keeping your organs going, you know. Over 1400 a day for me.

Then there's the fact that if you don't burn all the calories while you're sleeping, you will continue to burn them the next day.

Logic.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

When you're at rest, is when your body actually does the majority of its repair work. Trust me, this isn't a 'low calorie usage' process.

Edit ~ Oh and Tigersword? He's one of the most naturally intelligent people I've ever known. When he says something, you can bet it's been researched...heavily...before he opens his mouth.
  • AmyP619
    Options
    You burn quite a few calories just keeping your organs going, you know. Over 1400 a day for me.

Then there's the fact that if you don't burn all the calories while you're sleeping, you will continue to burn them the next day.

Logic.

again, I don't need the smart *kitten* attacks. I was trying to explain my thought process, which I never said was correct, by any means. I'm done with this post.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Logic.

again, I don't need the smart *kitten* attacks. I was trying to explain my thought process, which I never said was correct, by any means. I'm done with this post.

Ugh..thin skinned, this one.

No smart assery there either hun...but have a wonderful evening!
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You can eat whenever you want. Cals in v cals out. I often eat at midnight.
  • AmyP619
    Options

Logic.

Ugh..thin skinned, this one.

No smart assery there either hun...but have a wonderful evening!

The "Logic." statement just wasn't necessary considering it was in response to my "logical" thinking, and yes, I'll be the first to admit I'm sensitive. So be it.