Beer Snob Suggestions

Options
NYAnnie33
NYAnnie33 Posts: 61 Member
Hi everyone, hope your weekend is going well. Just curious if anyone else is a beer snob like me,and doesn't want to drink Bud Light. Looking for some better options... I know beer isn't the best for you when you're trying to lose weight, but I'm not giving it up that would just be silly. I'm just trying to keep consumption in moderation. I'm big into like pale ales, blondes and hefeweizens. Have any of you found something good that's on the lower end of the spectrum?

:drinker:
Thanks!!

Replies

• MandyRi
    MandyRi Posts: 4
    Options
    I like Michelob Ultra it is only 95 calories. Give it a try ya never know :)
  • beccahummel423
    beccahummel423 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a beer snob too and haven't found anything I love that is a calorie bargain. The Bud Light Wheat will do in a pinch for a hefe/wit substitute. I find I'd rather just limit myself to 1-2 good beers and plan for them.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    All I know is MGD 64 tastes like watered down piss. I don't care it's 64 calories, it's awful. I love beer. I love alot of Sam Adams products so I drink it in less quantity than normal bc I rather do that and enjoy a darn good drink than have a few more of crap beer. If I want something light I stick with Mich Ultra or Yeungling Light.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    If I want a beer than I'm gonna drink one I like & damn the calories. I stick to real ales (usually local brews) and limit myself to 1 or 2.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am also a beer snob. I rarely drink anything made in the US unless it's from a microbrew. I cannot stand Bud, Coors, etc.. yuck.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You're lucky because the pale ales you favor tend to have less calories than the darker ones (that I love). Yeah, just plan for it as best you can. There's no joy in drinking a ****ty beer.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Having good taste in beer does not make you a snob..........
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I drink crap beer but my husband refuses to. He likes Dogfish Head. They have several brews, maybe check that out.
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If I really need something low cal I get a Guinness. It's about 125. And whatever it is about red wine that's good for you, Guinness is the same way. Calories in beer are determined by sugar and alcohol levels. A big malty beer then (think a barley wine, dunkelweizen) is going to have more calories than an american pale. That doesn't necessarily mean hoppy beers are low cal though - many IPAs can be high calorie because they have a good amount of malt to balance all those hops.
    Alcohol is really the easiest way to determine calorie content - the higher the alcohol percentage of a beer, the higher calories. Session ales, farmhouse ales, hefeweizens, some APAs tend to be in the 4% range and will have less than 175 cals per 12 oz.
    If you want any specific suggestions let me know. My boyfriend and I are really into the whole craft beer and homebrewing scene so I could give you some ideas. If you like hefes my FAVORITE is Sierra Nevada Kellerweis.
    Also, my biggest strategy is to learn how to nurse a beer, and order a glass of water between beers or between two beers. I rarely drink in high volumes anymore as it's just not worth it to me - I'd rather have two good beers than drink a single American factory beer never mind enough to get drunk.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Mich Ultra is good, i drink Bud light platinum
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that according to my beer snob Husband, Budweiser is NOT BEER at all and is a lager...lol also he calls it other things too...

In England we have many beers, but he likes real Ale and that is area, I will send him this way
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I dont cut calories on beer, that means they sux in taste and quality,(IMO). I just make room for them. I drink only micro brews. Maybe go for a blonde or hefeweizen, if you want something light. I like brown and scotch ale. Yum!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I usually just go for land shark or just drink less. ok what I really do is eat less or workout more if I know I'll be drinking
  • JessFitz101
    Options
    I'm way into microbrews and totally feel your pain here as I have not found any good alternatives. My suggestion is just work out harder and then enjoy the cold one, depriving yourself from something you love will just make you miserable.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I'd rather drink one 320-calorie double IPA than five MGD 64's any day.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    All I know is MGD 64 tastes like watered down piss. I don't care it's 64 calories, it's awful. I love beer. I love alot of Sam Adams products so I drink it in less quantity than normal bc I rather do that and enjoy a darn good drink than have a few more of crap beer. If I want something light I stick with Mich Ultra or Yeungling Light.

You're awesome.

I stick to my Wisconsin roots with Miller Lite. IMO the lower calorie beers are totally worthless, unless you're not drinking to get drunk. Takes twice as many to get you where 'normal' beer would. Lame.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am an ale drinker. I love stouts. Guinness is a good choice, only about 25 calories more than most light beers.
  • wendangi
    wendangi Posts: 7
    Options
    I take my beer very seriously too. I know this is going to sound absolutely nuts, but,,, and this is crazy i know,,,, try Paulaner alkoholfrei. A very reasonable tasting hefeweiss and only 100 calories for a half liter. Loosing the alcohol turns out to save ALOT of calories, plus you can drive afterwards :)
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that according to my beer snob Husband, Budweiser is NOT BEER at all and is a lager...lol also he calls it other things too...

In England we have many beers, but he likes real Ale and that is area, I will send him this way

Well, I mean, it IS beer. It's an American light lager, which is what all that Budweiser, Coors, Miller stuff is. A lager is a completely legitimate type of beer - it's made with a different type of yeast that ferments at colder temperatures. The thing is that Budweiser and the like are made with mostly adjuncts like corn and rice instead of barley, wheat, oats, etc. It's white bread vs wheat bread. White bread is still bread it's just well, not very good, in my opinion.
  • missquela
    missquela Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    heineken is light and delicious, and i love blue moon too. good summer beers.