Suggestions for a candy bar addict?

Options
For years I never ever allowed myself to indulge in these wonderful chocolate treats, but now I eat one sometimes two a day!

I am spending loong days preparing for the Florida bar exam and whenever I get hungry, tired, bored, etc. I hit up the vending machine. Now I crave them. I caught my self buying one at the gas station and then another at the grocery store.

I am watching my waist line expand. They are undoing all the hard work I have put in to lose weight and get healthy, but that doesn't seem to be enough to stop me from over indulging.

I need help! Has anyone else had an issue with crazy strong sugar cravings?? IF so, How did you over come them??

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    You just have to stop. The more you eat, the stronger the craving. Eat more protein and have regular meals.
  • xxzimmer
    xxzimmer Posts: 37
    Options
    I eat quest bars, look them up.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i feel your pain. once you cut them out for a few days/weeks you stop craving them or i did anyway. unfortunately i though i could start having the odd one - back on at least 1 a day - snickers is my poison of choice lol
  • castaliavt
    castaliavt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only thing that works if my sugar cravings start to get strong is to cut out all added sugars. It sucks, but after a few days, you won't crave sweets anymore. I still eat fruit, but no added sugar. I did this for a month and then added a little sugar back in here and there. If I start getting all day sugar cravings again, I'll cut it out.

Other treats you could try instead of candy bars:

tootsie roll pops - I think they're only 60 calories and they last a long time
    blue diamond almonds - they made a ton of different flavors. chocolate, butter toffee, etc.
    frozen grapes
    gum (it actually does help)
  • Miss_Suzylee
    Options
    I would say buy a bag of minis-but I know that's also tough to limit yourself. For chocolate cravings, I get some sugar free fudge pops-only about 35 calories per bar. Just gives me enough chocolate to keep me from going insane. But it sounds like you are so used to having chocolate that any kind of substitute will just cause you to eat an entire package of anything to try and feel like you are getting your fix. My honest advice would be to just stop-give yourself around a 2 week goal to not touch the stuff. Try to eat fruits or yogurt whenever you want something sweet. You have to re-train yourself to not need the actual candy bars. Once you get your will power back up, then you can start adding things like sugar free popcicles or some mini candy bars to enjoy ONCE IN A WHILE.
  • apgant
    apgant Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do the Special K protein bars....10gm protein plus they come in a few different flavors. It's not so much like eating cardboard. The chocolate caramel are my favorite.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I recommend dark chocolate (70% or higher). Small amounts are still really satisfying. I have a square or two when I crave chocolate and it only adds around 125 calories to my day.
  • weightlossgurl96
    Options
    i chew gum. for me i eat because i always have to be doing something so sugar free gum takes away that constant want to eat and doesn't make me gain weight.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    For years I never ever allowed myself to indulge in these wonderful chocolate treats, but now I eat one sometimes two a day!

I am spending loong days preparing for the Florida bar exam and whenever I get hungry, tired, bored, etc. I hit up the vending machine. Now I crave them. I caught my self buying one at the gas station and then another at the grocery store.

I am watching my waist line expand. They are undoing all the hard work I have put in to lose weight and get healthy, but that doesn't seem to be enough to stop me from over indulging.

I need help! Has anyone else had an issue with crazy strong sugar cravings?? IF so, How did you over come them??

Just quit 'em. It's the only way.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Eat more fiber, drink a ton of water and watch your sodium intake.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to have a stash of "safe foods" near you!! Even a protein bar would be better! Apples + peanut butter, string cheese, apples + laughing cow + saltines, fruit, veggies + hummus...get some good snacks to have around you. I think you're just getting them for convenience and now it's a habit!
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    try replacing them with something else!
    that flavored extra gum is delicious! or some dried fruit?
    xx
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My son made this Chocolate Mousse, as served at the Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo. I gave it to someone who refused to eat advocados, and she loved it! Skip the sugar and chocolate chips....

http://honestcooking.com/2012/05/21/avocado-chocolate-mousse-with-citrus-twist/
  • cassuccino
    cassuccino Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Quest Protein Bars and Power Crunch Protein Bars are awesome!! So are the Think Thin Protein Bars but the first two are my faves!! =)
  • CourtneyHollinger
    CourtneyHollinger Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Grab some chocolate protein shake and skim milk it helps. They make those 100 calorie packs or 90 fiber one bars or sugar and fat free candy, but only do 1 (ONE) serving a day. Protein shakes you can do more of. Grab a magazine while you are in line or grab a banana to eat in the car instead.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Clif mojo bar peanut butter pretzel 99 cents where i live
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I eat quest bars, look them up.

I wanted to try them but at 2$ a bar NO WAY..... cliff bars saved me and are only $1 A BAR ;-)
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You just have to stop. The more you eat, the stronger the craving. Eat more protein and have regular meals.

^^^This.

I am a recovering sugar addict. I've found the more I eat, the more I want. Like if I have one sugary soft drink then I struggle not to binge on sugar the rest of the day. Natural sugars (like in fruit) don't affect me this way though. And I allow myself to have 1 Fiber One chocolate brownie each day. But I had to stop buying stuff that I used to binge on or else I wouldn't be able to control myself.
  • andydeluna
    Options
    Advice from my doctor, don't carry loose change for vending machines and carry other treats with you like dry cranberries, raisins or grapes.