Is It Wrong That I Want Attention?

Options
heagler870
heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
I know the title sounds extremely conceited but here is what I mean. I have been overweight my entire life, or as long as I can remember. Being an adult now I have never gotten attention from men. I don't go out often much anymore but when I used to go out to clubs and bars with my friends I would never get hit on or get any kind of flirts from men. I'm also an observer and I notice this at work too. There are a couple of really cute girls at work and they are always getting hit on. I know I am not ugly but I am also not thin and it's really annoying when I am talking asking a question or making a statement and get blatantly ignored. Today I was working and I had to ask a question and the only person that was over in my department that would know the answer was an attractive guy. He played it off like he didn't hear me when in fact I know he did because he looked at me and I was talking loud. I said to him "Excuse me, I know you heard what I asked so please tell me what I need to know." I was super pissed off. I know that if I were thinner he wouldn't have ignored me like that. This isn't the first instance something has happened like that but it just makes me so angry!

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Guys are block heads. I'd totally hit on you
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Guys are not blockheads. Is just that anyone looks for the one who's compatible with. You've nothing wrong, but the reality we live on might be too harsh sometimes. Pick yourself up and whatever change you make do it for you! Is better to not take attention at all, then take the wrong one, from wrong people. Btw, you're pretty :)
  • shesarealloser
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!!! Unfortunately, but yes, that's how it is :(
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

:grumble:

How do you know for sure he was ignoring you specifically because of your weight, and not 1 of 1000 other reasons?

Yes, it does happen, but maybe you shouldn't jump to that conclusion. Maybe he was just a jerk on principle, and had nothing to do with you at all.

I'm a guy, and I wouldn't ignore you if you were talking to me. I'd give you the same amount of time and attention as everyone else. :flowerforyou:
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Guys are not blockheads. Is just that anyone looks for the one who's compatible with. You've nothing wrong, but the reality we live on might be too harsh sometimes. Pick yourself up and whatever change you make do it for you! Is better to not take attention at all, then take the wrong one, from wrong people. Btw, you're pretty :)

Sorry, I forgot my sarcasm quotes :tongue:
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    Its not wrong to want attention, and its great to get it. I am so full of myself, even when i was overweight i was, but about my personality. I'm still full of myself, but only because i'm around a bunch of people who make no effort in life/weightloss/parenting/work or anything, so im full in a sense that i feel like im better than them. I'm not because were all people, but i am because we've had the same chances. SO no it is not wrong, it's perfectly normal, its fine. I use to go to the bar with my boyfriend to get attention from other guys, he knew why i went, he didnt care as long as there was no touching, he knew he didnt give me attention so he let me get it elsewhere :)
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

How do you know for sure he was ignoring you specifically because of your weight, and not 1 of 1000 other reasons?

Yes, it does happen, but maybe you shouldn't jump to that conclusion. Maybe he was just a jerk on principle, and had nothing to do with you at all.

I'm a guy, and I wouldn't ignore you if you were talking to me. I'd give you the same amount of time and attention as everyone else. :flowerforyou:

Aww c'mon! Seriously. We need a sarcasm font or something
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    GUYS are not blockheads, its just that they usually go for girls who carry themselves well, who have lots of confidence :(
  • Trail_Addict
    Options

With the rampant amount of man-bashing on this forum, it's hard to read sarcasm in some statements. :flowerforyou:
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Giiirrrl! I know what you mean. I want attention too. Dont worry.... Once you get what you want then you get used to the attention and it gets to be something you dont want.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You are really beautiful. Whether that guy was ignoring you because of your weight or not, he's still a jerk. Don't feel bad. Some people are just jerks. In my opinion, sucks for them! I'd rather be overweight.
  • Lushaholic
    Lushaholic Posts: 62
    Options
    I personally don't thinks its fair that men are being called blockheads because ONE guy at work was a A-HOLE, Screw him although I do not think there is anything wrong with wanting attention why would you want his? are you losing the weight for him? does he make you feel good about yourself? do gummy bears come out his *kitten*? I think not!

All in all it i perfectly OK to want attention, but needing it can be a dangerous path, surround people who respect you and give you the attention you deserve you shouldn't have to set people up in order to obtain it.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

With the rampant amount of man-bashing on this forum, it's hard to read sarcasm in some statements. :flowerforyou:

Freakin seriously.

I also agree...and at the risk of sounding judgmental, the only time I ignore someone speaking to me (of any gender, appearance, or weight) is when they have annoyed me, and I don't mean on a one time basis.
    Giiirrrl! I know what you mean. I want attention too. Dont worry.... Once you get what you want then you get used to the attention and it gets to be something you dont want.

Such fickle creatures we are, no?
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Next time I'll have to put a smiley or something. I love looking at all the lovely mens
  • Trail_Addict
    Options
    do gummy bears comes out his *kitten*?

Creates quite the conundrum, doesn't it? :laugh:
  • Lushaholic
    Lushaholic Posts: 62
    Options
    do gummy bears comes out his *kitten*?

Creates quite the conundrum, doesn't it? :laugh:

Lol I was ranting and that's what was typed, I love gummy bears! LMFAO
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Freakin seriously.

I also agree...and at the risk of sounding judgmental, the only time I ignore someone speaking to me (of any gender, appearance, or weight) is when they have annoyed me, and I don't mean on a one time basis.

At the risk of being ignored because I've annoyed you, you've got a great @ss :wink:
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words. You're right. I don't know if it was because I'm overweight *Fat* or not but I'm going to conclude that's the reason since it's what I'm used to and the fact when someone more attractive comes around they act completely different. I have a great personality and I am confident. Or at least I think so. It's just so frustrating to see how you're treated differently versus someone that's just as pretty or prettier but with a better physique. And don't get me wrong, I am not losing weight for anyone but myself and to get healthy. I have a specific goal in mind and am not stopping but it's these kind of people that treat me like they do because I am fat that give me that extra push. It ticks me off and makes me work out harder in the gym. It's kind of like I want to shove it in their faces when I get to goal and say "Hey, look at me now. Remember when you never gave me a chance? Well now that you would you don't get it now!" I don't know, maybe that makes me selfish, but whatever. People like that are the ones that give me extra motivation.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the guy at work is rude. Rude people are rude regardless of what size you are - it's just them. I understand wanting attention and feeling down when you don't get it, but I think you should lighten up a little.

I know a lot of guys who prefer heavier women and a lot of guys who prefer smaller women.. but, all guys prefer a woman who carries herself well and has confidence in herself. Work on being proud of who you are (even if you aren't perfect ) and it'll show. You're a pretty girl, so i suspect your lack of confidence in YOU is playing a bigger role than you think it is.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    To be honest, EVERYBODY, I don't care how attractive, fit, overweight prince charming or freaking Miss Universe, they ALL want attention so donot feel bad about wanting attention. Even people who say they don't care for attention donot reject attention. Its general psychology.