I need your advice, please! What to do?

Options

Replies

• iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hello, i understand your fears and frustrations.... i was born with a heart defect and have had two heart attacks by the time i was 27 yrs old. i have also had an accident when i was younger the crused three ribs on my right side and two disks in my lower back that pinches nerves in my left leg that cause me pain all the time. I used all those things as an excuse to keep me from exercising.... like the previous posters said, walking.... its what got me started. I now go to the gym 5 times a week and lift weights nows. ... its all in your mind... just tell yourself you can do it and then just do it...
  • minxonastick
    Options
    Her post clearly said she went to the doctor, and your dismissive comment about excuses and over reacting does not strike me as useful.

OP, I like people's advice about swimming (if you have easy access to a pool), yoga, pilates and Leslie Sansone's DVDs. I have problems with my joints due to a rheumatic condition, severe asthma, borderline hypertension, and am carrying too much weight too. I find strength and flexibility training was a great place to start along with some gentle walking; I felt so much better relatively quickly (less than a month), and am now doing more challenging cardio. It all starts to feed in on itself and before you know it, you will taking weight off and feeling better! Do keep in touch with your doctor as you proceed, to make sure you're safe.
    Not to be an *kitten*, but if you're that worried about it, you are either making excuses/over reacting, or you should probably see a doctor about a healthy, safe exercise and diet program.

As far as the bad knee goes, stick with low impact stuff... swimming is great option.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Walk and get in the water for swimming/jogging/walking if you can. With exercise your knee will probably get a lot better. I have arthritis in my foot. I fell off the wagon after breaking my foot and then getting pregnant. i was in so much pain that I didn't want to rock the boat by exercising much (my foot had gotten better after some physical therapy, to the point where i could walk a couple blocks without too much pain.) My former trainer convinced me to get back in the game, and I cannot believe how much my foot has improved. My goal was to get on the elliptical, and now I'm bored with it and am doing plyometrics, circuit training, zumba, all kinds of high impact stuff I never thought I'd do again (plus squats, lunges, etc). If you can, see a trainer or PT to help you get started.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Not to be an *kitten*, but if you're that worried about it, you are either making excuses/over reacting, or you should probably see a doctor about a healthy, safe exercise and diet program.

As far as the bad knee goes, stick with low impact stuff... swimming is great option.

This. I second the swimming.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Leslie Sansone! Check her out on walkathome.com. For starting out, "Walk This Way" DVD is great. Amazon has a bunch of her DVDs. Depending on where you live, you might also be able to find a "Walk Live" class if you want to exercise with other folks once in a while. (I'm a big fan - lost 50 pounds doing these DVDs and became a Walk Leader as well.) Send me a note if you are interested in the DVDs and have questions!
  • FITFORT
    FITFORT Posts: 85
    Options
    I'm no expert either, but I had been counting calories about a month before I admitted to myself that I also needed to be exercising. I resisted....but I finally committed to walking 10 minutes a day. I made a playlist on my iphone that was 10 minutes long...roughly 3 songs! I did that for a few days, and then when that seemed to be getting easy, I pushed my speed a little as I walked. When that got easy, I added a song to my playlist, which allowed me to walk longer. Then I pushed my speed for that amount of time. I continued this routine for several weeks, adding a song and pushing my walking speed, until I was walking fast for about 45 minutes. As I got in better shape, I started setting other goals for myself, including training myself to run. Long story short...I ran my first 5K on June 2nd, and I've begun to add circuit training as well.

I know it's difficult. I've had knee and back issues myself.

Be encouraged, and just remember, that whatever exercise you do today...no matter how little, it was more than you did yesterday. And tomorrow, just set a goal to do a tiny bit more than you did today.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • TrishaGuy
    TrishaGuy Posts: 63
    Options
    I am 53 years old and needed to loose about 43 lbs to be right in the middle of my healthy weight range. I started with walking and in no time was building up my strength to walk faster and more miles at a time. My husband bought me an elliptical and I jumped on it thinking oh this is easy......I thought I was going to die in the first 5 minutes!!! Sooooo he bought me a HRM so show me that I was nowhere near having a heart attack (that helped me sooooo much)and I can now do 45-60 mins. if you have a HRM use it if not try and get one for your peace of mind :wink: He also got me a fitbit which is my best friend :) it pushes me to do more........Things were going GREAT and I lost 20 lbs in about 9 weeks then boom....something happened with my knee when I was walking one day:noway: I am still not back to walking and it has been 3 weeks....however I can do the elliptical and ride my new bike(no impact) What I have learned is that the shoes I was wearing to walk in were all wrong.....if you are going to walk you must have the proper shoes and they are not cheap but in the long run will be less than the medical issues you may cause yourself.....I wear a knee brace (bought at walmart) just for extra support.... AND......I will never do any DVD that requires me to do squats,jumping of any kind or anything else that will risk injury to my knee again:grumble: If you are able I think walking with the proper gear is going to be your best bet or bike riding....good luck. MFP is a great place to be for motivation :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Here I am, asking for exercise, who would believe it???
    But I need ASAP some advices on how to start it slowly, I am 56 years old, weak, with a bad knee and HBP...I am always afraid I will have a heart attack if I exercise...but I don't have any strength, very bad, I also have terrible back pain, and I know it is because the weight.
    I was at the doctor, and I am going to a Nutritionist group.
    So, somebody with experience can advise me about a good DVD por people like me in my current physical situation?
    Thank you!!!
    Yam
    Are you cleared for exercise? If you are then, just start off with just walking, then add in strength. It's not a race.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Walking and swimming would be a good place to start. But if you are truly that concerned then see your doctor first. He can advise you far better than anyone on a public forum.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    Not that I'm an expert, but coming from the land of a spinal injury, walking is going to be your best friend. It's free, low impact and will not put extra stress on your joints. As you begin to lose weight, your knee will feel better and your BP will slowly decrease. It's all about consistency and good food choices. More calories burned than eaten. Each day, try and take 10,000 steps. You'll get faster, go further and can slowly incorporate hand weights etc. If you have a smartphone, there are a bazillion apps to help you track how far you went/fast you went etc. No matter what you choose to do, be consistent with it. Don't get frustrated about the numbers on the scale. It's all about how you feel. You didn't gain weight quickly, and you won't lose it quickly. Feel free to add me if you need some brutally honest encouragement :)

Wow, this is truly some of the best advice I've heard in a long time. I second everything!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If you can find an aquafit program at a community pool or seniors' centre it's a great way to get into exercising and the water takes the stress off the joints. You might also find a beginners low impact class at the same places. Most instructors will tell you to go at your own pace, so do what you can, push yourself just a little and in no time you'll be wondering what took you so long to get started! Good luck. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel.
  • YamRector
    YamRector Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well, I already found Leslie DVD on YouTube and did the first step, 1 mile, almost died but I did it! it's a beginning! and that is THANKS to YOU, guys!
    I will try to do another mile during the day...my hips hurt! Pain scared me, as I am harming myself...but pain is part of it, right? is OK to feel pain after working out, yes?
    Unfortunately I can't do pool because I am terrified of water and I don't know to swim.
    I will try to find others DVD also for the upper body, arms...
    YOU ARE GREAT!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Walking and swimming would be a good place to start. But if you are truly that concerned then see your doctor first. He can advise you far better than anyone on a public forum.

AGREE 100% with seeing the doctor first!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    If you have a pool near you, try swimming. If not, walking. Start out gently & build up from there.
    But check with you'r Dr before you start any exercise
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Swimming and walking. DVD Leslie Sansone walking dvd's. Start on the easiest level and build up over time.

I started with a 20 minute walk (I am 49, have MS and was obese).

Now I'm doing kickboxing, tae bo, hiking, a 5K.....

You can do this!
  • Kaathmandu
    Kaathmandu Posts: 129
    Options
    Hey, Yam, go to aquacise/water aerobics classes! You don't have to be able to swim. You can do it with both hands on the side til you feel more comfortable. Water is a great equalizer - if you are in water up to your waist, you are only supporting half your body weight, so you can build up the muscles, burn calories without the extra stress on your joints. (If you are in water up to your neck, you are only supporting 10% of your weight!)
    Working in the water is great for increasing your core strength, the resistance of the water is great for increasing muscle tone, and the gravity-reducing effect of water means your joint spaces increase so you have more flexibility. The pressure of the water on your legs helps venous return, so helps reduce swelling.
    Find a good teacher with good knowledge and the fact that you have music to distract you and everything wobbles out of sight under the water and I'm sure you will find yourself enjoying exercise!!
    Once you have improved your general fitness, then you should add some weight-bearing activity like walking which is necessary to prevent osteoporosis.
    Good luck!
  • mhcrunner1
    mhcrunner1 Posts: 11
    Options
    I would start out with Yoga or Tai Chi until you get used to exercise. Then move up to taking walks. The big key is to listen to your body. A little out of breath is O.K. Gasping for air means stop.
  • sherri85
    sherri85 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    What about trying a Leslie Sansone walking DVD? She encourages you to just do what you can, and it always seemed to me to be very low impact.

See if you can find an example of her workouts on YouTube to see if it's something you think you can do.

Best of luck to you! :)
    This^^^^^^ I was in the same shape and I ordered her walk away the pounds cd that someone had told me about on here and I love them!! I ordered a 2 cd package and I have really been amazed by how fast I progressed to the harder ones. Good luck!!
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was on no impact workouts because of my foot. I did swimming, yoga, tai chi, and stationary bike. Swimming was the one that I burned the most calories at. You can do it. Hang in there.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Walking would probably be a good place to start. I would also suggest going and checking out your local Curves depending on where you live. I used to belong when I first started exercising and there are women of all ages, sizes and fitness levels there. You can work at your own pace, build some strength and move on as you are able.

As always check with your doctor since you have some health risks.