Michigan

Replies

• MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Metro Detroit area :)
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Between Lansing and Flint here. In the winter months I just bundle up and still attempt to walk. But I also have a recumbent bike, elliptical, gazelle, ab circle pro( biggest waste of money ever!) , aerobic step, small free weights to keep my moving in the winter months.

I also prefer to be the one who shovels the snow, great cardio burn as well as strength!
  • NordenJenn
    NordenJenn Posts: 82
    I'm from Wakefield, MI ... you dont know snow unless you're from the UP! I get a gym membership in the winter, outdoor workouts are completely out of the question!
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Grew up in Toledo (ick), lived in Ypsi for many many years (went to EMU for undergrad). Spent summers in Bridgman, MI (where my mom is from). Now I live in Minnesota. Winters are comparable to MI, however, MN knows how to take care of the snow better than SE downstate. When Ann Arbor and Ypsi get shut down because we get a foot of snow dumped on us (which we knew about at least 48 hours in advance), it's laughable. A foot of snow is par for the course out here. Plus it's sunny most of the winter (at least compared to OH winters), which makes it that much more enjoyable.

Get back every so often to the SW corner. My mom's family still lives out there. Also make it to Detroit every year for the Thanksgiving Lions game.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    I haven't lived in Michigan in fifteen years, but I was born and raised there. I miss it terribly...especially during the miserable South Carolina summers. There is about five or six months of summer temps here, and only about two months of "winter" temps (meaning it gets below 60 degrees). I lived in the Traverse City area for a while, and I had to walk about two miles one way to and from work...often in freezing temps and heavy snow. I have to say, I'd much rather go out and walk/run in cold weather than 90+ degrees and high humidity. But that's just me...everybody's different. Anyway, I just wanted to say that hearing from all of these fellow Michiganders is making me really homesick. Especially the ones fromt the Flint/Saginaw area. I lived in Millington while I was in high school.
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Birch Run Michigan here feel free to add me
  • jcstanton
    Flint here. Our motto is: Our hookers can beat up your hookers!

Hahahaha! Don't forget, "Our guns are bigger than your guns!" LOL
  • jcstanton
    Birch Run Michigan here feel free to add me

Birch Run! I lived in Millington and went to high school in Vassar. :happy:
  • jcstanton
    Grew up in Toledo (ick), lived in Ypsi for many many years (went to EMU for undergrad). Spent summers in Bridgman, MI (where my mom is from). Now I live in Minnesota. Winters are comparable to MI, however, MN knows how to take care of the snow better than SE downstate. When Ann Arbor and Ypsi get shut down because we get a foot of snow dumped on us (which we knew about at least 48 hours in advance), it's laughable. A foot of snow is par for the course out here. Plus it's sunny most of the winter (at least compared to OH winters), which makes it that much more enjoyable.

Get back every so often to the SW corner. My mom's family still lives out there. Also make it to Detroit every year for the Thanksgiving Lions game.

My dad was born and raised in Stevensville (he went to Lakeshore High School), and my mom was raised in the Berrien Springs area (where I was born, and also home to the world's best pizza...Roma's Pizza). We lived in Bridgeman for a while when I was a baby, and my dad worked at Bridgeman Castings.
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Grand Rapids here.

Shoveling, walking, gym, dvd's.
  • wlddove
    wlddove Posts: 85 Member
    I live in Lake Orion... and I hate winter! :o) Luckily, I have lots of stairs in my house I can climb, and the occasional workout DVD.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Holland here, but grew up in Haslett, east of East Lansing (in fact, I partied @ MSU even though I attended LCC).

SO SO SO glad that summer is here. Camping, cooking out, killing mosquitoes, and getting outside. The 2 seasons I hate the most are winter and construction.
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Haha! Construction! I almost forgot about that. I am sure I will hit construction season on my vacation to Chicago in July. I always think of the Orange Barrels song. lol

I love camping and sitting by the campfire. We do a lot in the summer but I have to keep my husband's condition in mind
    when doing things. If its too hot out, he could have an attack so I have to be careful when he is with me. But he is so supportive
    and does his best to be there for me. :)
  • ralexander82
    ralexander82 Posts: 22 Member

I went to EMU too!! would be funny if we were there together. I remember things not shutting down with the snow. I had to go to my pre-student teaching experiences in horrible snow that never seemed to get plowed or treated and everything was still open.
  • Ueropa
    Ueropa Posts: 73
    Rives Junction Michigan here! Lived in the general area my whole life! Anyone feel free to add me :)
  • ralexander82
    ralexander82 Posts: 22 Member
    The last few days have been really hot. I am contemplating moving to Canada! LOL I love the snow and winter and the cold.
    So I will never live in Florida. Doing my workout in the morning in my living room with AC is nice. Its hard when the 1 year old gets up though. LOL

It takes an hour for your body to adjust to the heat. If you go out and even walk for an hour, your body adjusts to the temperature and it is easier to work out.
  • wakie27
    wakie27 Posts: 26
    I'm a Michigander here, as well! I've lived suburbs of Detroit my whole life - Westland, Wixom, and now Commerce.

Winters are tough for exercise - although this past one, we actually were able to get out for walks during those "warm" spells!
  • tlamarch
    tlamarch Posts: 105
    upper michigan here, Winter in Michigan is great for shoeshoeing, that will get your burn on and you will have tons of fun
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Born in Indian River, living in Bay City. How about snowboarding, skiing, ice-skating?
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    I live in East Lansing. I joined a gym and try to make it there fairly regularly during the winter. And actually during the summer, because let's face it, sometimes it's just too damn hot/humid out!