I AM NOT A BREAKFAST EATER!!!

Options

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say that the breakfast rule is a myth. Maybe for them it is. However, for me it's true. A few years ago I decided that I was going to eat breakfast every morning, this was before I decided to try to lose weight, no matter what time I got up (I work night shifts) I made myself eat breakfast. I permanently lost 10 pounds. It kick starts your metabolism for the rest of the day, so that you have calories/energy to burn. Now, if I don't feel like eating breakfast, I won't, but I do make myself a cup of coffee so there is something in my body to get my lazy metabolism going. Like I said, for some it's a myth, but for me it's a fact. Hope you figure it out for yourself :smile:

I'd love to know the Maths in this. As you're sure that the weight loss is from eating breakfast you have to assume then that you altered no other factors so...

Adding breakfast meant that you increased your calories by about 200
    Losing 10lb at say an average of one lb a week means that you must have had a deficit of about 3500 calories a week - 500 a day

So you had a to have a total daily deficit of 700 calories a day.

So your BMR increased by 700 calories a day by eating breakfast! That's not scientifically possible!

Even if you took much longer to lose the 10lbs it still means that your BMR increased MASSIVELY!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options

Breakfast as the most important meal of the day is not a saying because it sounds catchy. It is a saying because it is true. The earlier you start eating, the faster your calorie burning and digestive system will start working for the day.

When you skip meals, your body goes into survival mode and your metabolism slows. Just think. If you eat your last meal at 8 p.m, and then sleep until 6 a.m and then don't eat anything until noon, your body just went 16 hours without a source of energy.

Totally agreed
  • Wonderob
    Options

Breakfast as the most important meal of the day is not a saying because it sounds catchy. It is a saying because it is true. The earlier you start eating, the faster your calorie burning and digestive system will start working for the day.

When you skip meals, your body goes into survival mode and your metabolism slows. Just think. If you eat your last meal at 8 p.m, and then sleep until 6 a.m and then don't eat anything until noon, your body just went 16 hours without a source of energy.

Totally agreed

Except it's completely not true - you're body has a source of energy always - it's called body fat and it's pretty much what all of us are trying to reduce!

Your metabolism might slow slightly but not to any significant degree - you can still have a fast metabolism having 2 or 3 meals a day
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am never hungry in the morning, but force myself to eat because I feel like I'm setting the tone for my day if I eat a healthy breakfast. That's important to me because I still wrestle with my self control. But that's ME and it has no bearing on whether you should or shouldn't eat breakfast. As long as it's working for you, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!! If you have a system that wrks for you, stick with it!!
  • Wonderob
    Options
    I am never hungry in the morning, but force myself to eat because I feel like I'm setting the tone for my day if I eat a healthy breakfast. That's important to me because I still wrestle with my self control. But that's ME and it has no bearing on whether you should or shouldn't eat breakfast. As long as it's working for you, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Yeah that's a fair point. If you are not hungry at 8oc - but you're surrounded by healthy cereals, fruit etc, and you know that you're going to be hungry at 10oc - surrounded by vending machine choclate and crisps then it makes sense to force yourself to eat breakfast
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast eater either. I need a few hours for my body to get going before I start eating food. I have started drinking protein shakes (I had to find the one I liked first) with 30 g of protein. This gets the protein in my body earlier than if I waited to eat.
  • she_elf
    she_elf Posts: 108
    Options
    I hate eating breakfast. If I eat too soon after I wake up, I get sick. Generally, I have to wait about two to three hours to eat after waking. The only time I force myself to eat in the morning is if I'm traveling and headed out for the day (I'll grab an espresso and a croissant). Other than that, I don't eat breakfast.

If it works for you, it works for you. EVEN if science backs up the claim that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" (the peer-reviewed evidence for which is still MIA), there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rules. So if it's working for you, keep doing what you're doing.
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Exactly Rob. I find myself making better choices if I don't wait until I'm hungry to eat or decide what to eat. But again, that is just me and it's more my way of keeping my temptations under control than because I think Breakfast is super dooper important.

Is it just me or are my sentences incredibly long winded? Oh well!

Also OP, my boyfriend and I are completely different people. There is no point in me telling him what to eat or vice versa. I need to lose weight and he doesn't, so it's not really fair of me to look at him and say do you really want that hamburger with all that cheese and sauce? Or do you want a salad? Hmm? Hmmm? Do ya? DO YA?

Different strokes for different folks.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I very strongly disagree that timing of meals has anything to do with weight loss success. I am not a breakfast eater either, I generally save all of my calories for when I am hungriest--dinnertime. It's worked great for me. :smile:
    I've lost on the expected schedule and am now wearing a size 8. Haven't felt this great in years. Decades even.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Everyone should do what they prefer and are comfortable with. I get up at about 5:30am and I need to be out of the house in 5 minutes, I only have a part time job, but I have to get out, work, drop my dad off at work and get home. I don't have time to prepare my big breakfasts in the mornings, hell I don't have time to brush my teeth before I go out, I have to do it when I get back lol.

Anyway, I get back at like 7am, but usually don't eat until 8:30am. My siblings have to get ready for school and there isn't enough room in the kitchen for everyone to prepare so I usually wait for them to go. I still have breakfast though because I am hungry lol. If I didn't eat breakfast and just waited till lunch I would probably pig out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    My daughter has preached to me many times to eat a good breakfast 15 minutes after you wake up!! She states that it will boost your energy and it will help speed up your metabolism for the day. I personally hate breakfast and I can not eat 15 minutes after I wake up. ( I need at least one hour after I wake up to be civil person, I am not a happy person the first thing in the morning or afternoon when I work the night shift) I know how you feel and I think that there should be some simple answers for us
    She'd be wrong to say that it speeds up your metabolism since practically every study done on it hasn't shown that it does.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast eater either but since eating a bigger breakfast I've been dropping the pounds
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know the Maths in this. As you're sure that the weight loss is from eating breakfast you have to assume then that you altered no other factors so...

Losing 10lb at say an average of one lb a week means that you must have had a deficit of about 3500 calories a week - 500 a day

So your BMR increased by 700 calories a day by eating breakfast! That's not scientifically possible!

Even if you took much longer to lose the 10lbs it still means that your BMR increased MASSIVELY!

Well I think the reason many people (including me) have excellent results simply from eating breakfast is because it can alter what you eat at other meals. For example, a lot of people like myself only have two choices: we can eat breakfast at 6:15am, or wait until noon to eat lunch. If you eat when you're not super hungry at breakfast, then it's easy to choose healthy options. Likewise, if you're still not dying of hunger at lunch b/c you ate a filling breakfast, then you can make healthy choices again relatively easily. Whereas, if you skip breakfast and can't eat until noon, then it's easy to get super hungry. Then it's much more difficult to resist all the junk food on display wherever you buy lunch.
  • Unoduck
    Unoduck Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't ususally eat breakfast either. I have always heard, and on this board as well, that breakfast "jumpstarts" your metabolism. But that is actuall the problem for me. If I do not eat breakfast, I am not ususally hungry until about noon, sometimes later. But if I eat breakfast, BAM! I am starving by 11am, and find it a bigger challenge to stick to my calorie allotment for the day. On the days I run, I will eat a late breakfast, because my body wants it. But on rest days, eating breakfast just makes me hungry all day.
  • jessiesunshine
    Options
    I am not really hungry in the morning either.. but I have made myself do it... but then I get super hungry all evening! So do what works for you!! I recently reduced my breakfast to 100 cals.. so i can save room for mistakes in the evening.. :) This way I get a little wake me up.. but not enough to take all the cals for the day.
  • notnormallyacaloriecounter
    Options
    A lot of people say that the breakfast rule is a myth. Maybe for them it is. However, for me it's true. A few years ago I decided that I was going to eat breakfast every morning, this was before I decided to try to lose weight, no matter what time I got up (I work night shifts) I made myself eat breakfast. I permanently lost 10 pounds. It kick starts your metabolism for the rest of the day, so that you have calories/energy to burn. Now, if I don't feel like eating breakfast, I won't, but I do make myself a cup of coffee so there is something in my body to get my lazy metabolism going. Like I said, for some it's a myth, but for me it's a fact. Hope you figure it out for yourself :smile:

I did not claim that it was the Holy Grail of weight loss, dude. All I said is that is what worked for me. I didn't know then why and I'm not completely sure now. Is this a life or death situation? Is that why you're responding to everyone that disagrees with you? We were asked for our opinions, meaning what we think individually. And I truly believe, in my case at least, that eating breakfast makes a difference.
  • coastiebride1120
    coastiebride1120 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I never or at least very rarely eat breakfast. Usually just a cup of coffee or sometimes i log a middle of the night snack as breakfast. I usually don't eat until noon when my son takes his afternoon nap.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I usually get up at 5am, rush around to get things together and dress the squirtlings and get to the gym for PT at 0730. I don't eat. We go on our run, I shower and head to the office where I have a banana and yogurt around 0930 and lunch is around noon. It's been working great for me!
    I eat breakfast on the weekends, though, because I really do love breakfast food! And I like cooking in the morning for the family.
  • chamilton911
    Options
    your body goes into survival mode by not eating enough calories throughout the day.... eater fewer then 1200 calories. I meet my goals, I am not tired...and I lost 4 pounds this week. I am pretty sure my body is not in starvation mode.... I am not at a weight stand still... and I do not overload myself with protein in one meal like I read somewhere up there.... I typicaly eat lunch between 11:30 and 12... and I eat dinner early.. I don't eat at 10pm, like I also read up there... I typically have some sort of snack after dinner before bed... but not always. I would understand a lot of this argument if I was not meeting any of my goals nutritionally. But, I am.