Potatoes: With or without skin

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
In Indian/Pakistani Cuisine potatoes play a major role and we always use potatoes after peeling their skin. However till I came to US, I never really saw potatoes cooked WITH skin. I read someplace that the skin of potatoes itself holds alot of nutrition.

So. Do you peel or you don't?

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I love the skin. Sweet potatoes, not so much, completely different.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    With skin - fibre.
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    i have never left skin on, seems quite icky! although i have heard its a lot better for you nutritionally!
  • Pomoch325
    Pomoch325 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same about the skin. I like mashed potatoes with the skin left on, but baked potatoes not so much.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    With, unless you really hate the skin or the skin is green.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    With skin. I know it's common without but it seems weird to me.
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    Love the Skin, drives me nuts that my husband doesn't eat the skin on his baked potato!!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    In Indian/Pakistani Cuisine potatoes play a major role and we always use potatoes after peeling their skin. However till I came to US, I never really saw potatoes cooked WITH skin. I read someplace that the skin of potatoes itself holds alot of nutrition.

So. Do you peel or you don't?

With the skin. I feel the skin is the best part which it is because it has all of the vitamins and nutrients in it :smile:
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Skin when possible. Baking potatoes really have to be scrubbed to eat the skin.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I love the skin. Plus it's much easier to leave it on. Just make sure you clean it thoroughly!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    With
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    The skin is delicious and the most nutritious part. I especially love mashed potatoes (red or white) with the skins left on. Very rustic and yummy.
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Keep the skin! How else will they be delicious and crispy?

Plus, Vitamin C and all sorts of other good stuff.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    With skin.

I try to buy organic and the way I bake them (sliced with olive oil) I always keep the skin on after I scrub them. :)
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    hey, I'm actually eating a russet potatoe right now! I like it with the skin.
  • r3ban1x
    r3ban1x Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like to keep the skin on mostly because it's supposed to be more nutritious and has all the fiber but my bf read somewhere that the skin is "toxic" and doesn't want to eat it anymore. Not sure how accurate that claim is because I've always read it has all the vitamins.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, if they are red potatoes, I will leave the skin on. Otherwise, they get peeled. However, if my husband is the cook, he will once in a while leave the skin on white potatoes, and it doesn't really bother me. When it's a baked potato, I will often eat the skin, so there's really no rhyme or reason to my logic. :wink:
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thin skin potatoes like Red Bliss or Maine, yes. Thick skin like Russet or Sweet, no.

But I hate peeling so I can't claim it is all for healthy reasons.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The skin is the best part, definitely on.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    With the skin -- so long as its been throughly cleaned. :)