What do you do when you don't like vegtables!

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There are so many vegetables and so many ways to prepare them. There HAS to be something you like ... you just have not found it yet.

Raw Vs. cooked ... textures are quite different. Freezing Vs. canning changes the texture too. If it's texture you don't like ... mash them, or puree and use in soup.

Steamed, grilled, roasted, stir fried ... all of these cooking methods produce something different.

Add seasonings ... garlic, basil, ginger root. Keep trying new things.
  • veganpoler
    veganpoler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Eat them anyway! You'll eventually grow to like them.

Try oven-roasting - toss the veggies with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 400 degrees F. Asparagus - 10 minutes. Cauliflower - 30 or 40 minutes. Carrots and potatoes - 45 min - 1 hour. Or try sauteeing in olive oil and chopped garlic. This is how I cook kale, chard, spinach, and green beans. The only vegetables I eat just steamed are broccoli and peas.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Suck it up, Buttercup. You need veggies to get many of the nutrients your body needs. Without them, you sabatoge your own weight loss.

How about corn or carrots or potatoes? You've gotta start somewhere! Those three aren't great choices, but almost everyone likes them, and you can get lots of Potassium that way.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    I hate most healthy vegetables, but I have to eat them for fiber, yada yada yada.

- Grill asparagus with some lemon juice and Herbs de Provence. Get a nice char on there and, if you close your eyes, it's almost like eating meat.

- A LOT of Spinich will cook down to a dense little package. Just force it down. It takes 30 seconds, and has TONS of vitamins, fiber, etc.

- Stuff chicken breasts with veggies (sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers {they come jarred in the ethnic foods aisle}, spinich, leeks, etc) and feta. The chicken and the feta help disguise the taste.

- I always keep jarred roasted red peppers and frozen peas in the house. Add them to brown rice during the last few minutes of cooking and they come out great without dirtying another pan.

- Stick em in salads. They provide a nice crunch. Dressing fixes all. Just watch out for the sugars.

- Boil Celery root (celeriac for you brits) or parsnips in skim milk. Drain but reserve the cooking liquid. Mash, adding a little bit of the cooking liquid. It's a "healthier" way of making mashed potatoes and, IMAO, tastes better with fish.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I am watching what I eat and do not eat over my 1200 calories but I do not eat vegtables, I dislike them so much! I did try and eat Cauliflower last night with I don't believe its not butter but only got maybe 1/4 cup if that. I know when tomatoes are fresh I will try and eat them along with greenbeans if they are fresh! Any suggestions?

Try pre-packaged "steam-able" vegetables that already include the sauce.

If you like indian food, try the boxed veggies that already have the indian spices (brand names like Swad, MTR, Haldiram's, Ashoka, Tasty Bite, etc.)
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Alot of good suggestions on here...i love grilling veggies, ill eat baby carrots with hummus (yum!), roast them in the oven with seasoning....as many people have said it can be an acquired taste but you should try, thats how you will get the best nutrition...remember that you eat for nutrients =)
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Stop not liking them, and be awesome instead.

j/k :) your tastes will gradually change, just keep at it and try new things and variety.
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I hide them in my kids food and they cant even tell.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Put your big girl/boy panties on and eat them anyways. It's what I had to do. Still don't like them but tolerate most of them as best as I can.

I agree, you're an adult. Try cooking them with soy sauce or buy a spaghetti squash and eat it wish sauce.
    I have always liked vegetable but once I made them a main part of my diet I would rather eat them over most things.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    while this is a little pot/kettle thing (i still am working on this!) a great cookbook called deceptively delicious! designed to get veggies and fruits in for ppl that hate them! the pudding and cookies are pretty good, the burgers are great and the tomato soup (which i actually usually like) hides the flavours nicely!
    there's a sneak peak here

http://www.doitdelicious.com/cookbooks/deceptively_delicious
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You can throw a butt load of spinach into a blender with fruit and ice and not be able to taste it at all.

This is what I do. I am not a veggie lover at all. I put handful and handful of green, leafy vegetables in my blender with fruit, protein powder, greek yogurt and almond milk. Gulp it down and I'm done.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Eat them raw dipped in hummus!
  • lucylAnneMason
    Options
    Normally if you force yourself to eat something 3 or 4 times you grow to like it =)
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Develop a taste for them. Sorry that sounds blunt, but nobody like vegetables when compared to a double cheeseburger. They will give you the bulk you need to stay satiated as well as give you all the vitamins and nutrients one needs.
  • ShelbyLynS
    ShelbyLynS Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hate vegetables as well. I bought a VitaMix and make green smoothies. I drink them twice a day. My recipe: an apple, red grapes, pineapple, half an orange, a couple of dates, flax seeds. I blend that down so there is room in the blender then add a WHOLE bag of baby spinach leaves and several stalks of kale. To me it tastes like a fruit smoothie. Plus I am getting tons of fiber and vitamins and minerals. I drink a glass first thing in the morning and a glass mid-afternoon when I need to snack. I have cut out all other snacking and do not crave a sweet snack anymore. With all that fruit I am getting lots of sweets but at least it isn't a candy bar!
  • christinet8504
    Options
    Im with you 100%. Cant stand them no matter how they are cooked or masked in other food. I just leave them out completely. Its harder because there is no other type of food you can eat as much as you like of, but if I force down the veggies, the diet wont last long.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Man-up and eat them anyway.

Try eating raw instead of steamed - i hate steamed broccolii and cawliflower and carrots but i like them raw. Try it w/ a little bit of hummus or home-made black bean dip. Fresh peapods are also awesome raw.
  • kaylasue_mustlose
    Options
    There are plenty of things you can do. I come from a family with a few that hate vegetables...but some things they will eat are green squash...I usually grill them with a little low-cal terriyaki sauce....yo can cut them in slices almost like short french fries. Also a lot of the V8 juice products include a full serving of vegetables.

This is from their website:
    Strawberry Banana contains the juice of 10 vegetables and fruits: sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, beets, white grapes, oranges, apples, strawberries, bananas, banana puree.

Peach Mango contains the juice of 8 vegetables and fruits: sweet potatoes, yellow tomatoes, yellow carrots, carrots, white grapes, oranges, peaches, mango puree.

Pomegranate Blueberry contains the juice of 8 vegetables and fruits: sweet potatoes, purple carrots, tomatoes, carrots, apples, white grapes, pomegranates, blueberries.

Açai Mixed Berry contains the juice of 8 vegetables and fruits: sweet potatoes, purple carrots, carrots, apples, white grapes, açai, blueberries, limes.

Cranberry Blackberry contains the juice of 7 vegetables and fruits: sweet potatoes, purple carrots, carrots, apples, white grapes, cranberries, blackberries.

Goji Raspberry contains the juice of 11 vegetables and fruits: sweet potatoes, carrots, purple carrots, apples, white grapes, oranges, goji, cherries, strawberries, red raspberries, blackberries.

Concord Grape Raspberry contains the juice of 7 vegetables and fruits: sweet potatoes, purple carrots, carrots, white grapes, apples, Concord grapes, red raspberries.

And these taste just like fruit juice.

Also take a multi-vitamin....to make up for the vitamin/mineral loss of not eating vegetables.

You will be ok!!!! :)
  • Scarborough84
    Options
    I use baby spinach instead of lettuce for my salad. packs more of a nutritional punch than standard lettuces. Also the steamer bags of veggies (freezer sections) cook up really well ! Try sugar snap peas to start. I'm a former veggie hater and they got me kick-started.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I like all the other suggestions to try them different ways. I myself make chili. Tons of veggies and spices and it's so good with some tortilla chips or Goldfish sprinkled on top!

I also recently bought some spaghetti noodles (I think the brand was Heartland?) that are made from dried corn, carrot, and squash. There's a full serving of veggies in every 2 oz of noodles.

You could also try the V8 juice blends that have a full serving of veggies and fruit in a serving. There are tons of ways to consume vegetables!