CALLING ALL VEGANS, VEGETARIANS, AND RAW VEGANS!!

Options

Replies

• renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend is a vegetarian (used to be vegan, but she was having a hard time getting all her nutrients) and I tried it for 2 weeks as an experiment. It wasnt too bad because I go entire days already without eating meat. I wouldnt want to ever become one full time because it is such a hassle when dining out or at get togethers and such....but I respect everyone who decides to take up that lifestyle.

I am an animal lover as I'm sure most of you are, but I do believe that animals are on this earth to eat. I think animals, just like fruits and vegetables, supply humans with a lot of things that are important to health. I'm not into taking vitamins to get nutrients that I can get from eating actual food. (Please don't try to argue with me....my girlfriend is going to school for public health and nutrition, so I've heard it all. haha) That being said, I strongly disagree with the way that a lot of animals are "processed" or whatever you want to call it, and I do try and eat organic and local meat as much as possible. I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything.....as I totally understand why people would become vegetarians/vegans because of these reasons. Does anyone have any other reasons they choose that eating habit? Just curious.

Anywho....if any of you still want to be friends, even tho I am a carnivore, I will be happy to support you in all your fitness and nutrition endevors! I also cook veggie/vegan meals for my girlfriend a lot, so maybe we can share some recipies. I'm always looking to try new things!

I can totally respect your choice. Personally, I find it very difficult to find a farm that would meet my own personal standards for humane treatment - even for things like dairy and eggs. Even the small-ish, local farms are pretty big and there are problems inherent in mass production. I went back and forth between vegetarian and vegan a lot of times before I finally settled on vegan - and I would research the heck out of farms and try to choose the best possible, but even then it just didn't sit right with me. On dairy farms, calves are taken away from their mothers at birth (or a few days after), and even the organic family egg farms that I found bought their chicks from hatcheries, who kill all of the male chicks at birth.

I feel healthiest when eating vegan anyway, so I've just come to a place where I'm okay with getting my vitamin B-12 from nutritional yeast and/or a supplement.

I think it's great that you are considering the issues and trying to make informed choices - and eating a lot of plant based meals!

Like I said....I TRY to eat organic and local as much as possible, but you're absolutely right.....it is for sure hard to find farms that would meet the strict concerns of most vegetarians and vegans. At least the ones that do it for the sake of animals. I dont think I will ever give up eating meat all together, but since I have met my gf, I have definitely cut down. I also like eating wild game a lot too as opposed to a farm raised animal. I dont hunt personally, but I feel a little better about eating a deer or something that was born and lived free in the wild. Curbs my carnivore guilt. haha

Also thanks for the friend request

Sorry OP....im not trying to hijack your veggie thread by talking about meat. I'll stop now. :wink:
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been veggie for 20 odd years and have starting going vegan just this month, feel free to add me :smile:

I love the picture you have on your tracker!! thats hilarious!
    03428 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Add me! I'm a vegan :)
  • karaisadahl
    karaisadahl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am trying to go back to being vegetarian. Not because of the animals, but simply because I feel like crap when I eat meat. It's been like that ever since I had my gallbladder out 9 years ago. I find it's really hard because I'm a new mom and I sometimes just don't have time to prepare foods, so I'm at the mercy of whatever's convenient, or my meat loving husband's cooking. :) would love to make some friends that understand what im going through and have some friendly advice :)
  • atenhulz
    atenhulz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian with some vegan tendencies, so feel free to add me! I'd love to look at your diary to get some more vegan ideas. (And I love Adventure Time omg)
  • DianatheRed
    Options
    I am looking to add way more veggies to my diet (although, I just love meat too much to give it up completely!). Add me if you don't mind me poking around your diary for nutritious ideas :)
  • eesmetana
    eesmetana Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian eyeing up veganism - feel free to add me (the same goes for anyone else whose looking for veggie MFP friends)...
  • ffffaaatttt
    ffffaaatttt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Today is actualy my first attempt at a vegan diet. So awesome timing Post-ee.... When I mentioned this on MFP the very first response I got was ... I think that's stupid.... Sooooo.... Any support from actual Vegans/Vegetarians would be awesome.
  • caitychu
    caitychu Posts: 39
    Options
    1123040978.jpg
    I'm sorry, are we insulting you? Because I haven't seen one post in here referring to meat eaters being insulted, so why are you insulting us? Grow up.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    1123040978.jpg
    I'm sorry, are we insulting you? Because I haven't seen one post in here referring to meat eaters being insulted, so why are you insulting us? Grow up.

oh come on, he's just being silly. Being vegan is a personal choice don't let us awesome carnivores bring you down.

I like vegans btw

most of my food is vegan
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I want to be your weight loss buddy. :) Let's motivate each other.

Finn and Fiona!

♥ your ticker.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I was a raw vegan for awhile, but now I'm back to being a regular vegan. I like my broccoli thoroughly steamed a little too much, haha
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    1123040978.jpg

You're not a carnivore--you're an omnivore. Unless you really don't eat vegetables, which is unfortunate for you.
  • jbenfo
    jbenfo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been mostly vegetarian (though, occasionally, a Pescatarian) for 15 years now. Currently with vegan leanings. Feel free to add me!
  • coastiebride1120
    coastiebride1120 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was a vegatarian for 6 years and stopped several years ago for personal reason. Now I am back trying to reincorporate a vegetarian lifestyle without upsetting the family to much. My husband is a meat and potatoes lover and I'm working on converting him slowly. We usually just eat local organic chicken and seafood that he catches right now. I am always looking for recepie ideas and new friends
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 15 years here!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    1123040978.jpg
    8ea.jpg
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    1123040978.jpg

Dont' be so mad. Sheesh. Jokes. People with sense of humors get them. :flowerforyou:
  • cathy3457
    cathy3457 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a long time and have just come back to it. It just works so much better for me!
  • cathy3457
    cathy3457 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was a vegatarian for 6 years and stopped several years ago for personal reason. Now I am back trying to reincorporate a vegetarian lifestyle without upsetting the family to much. My husband is a meat and potatoes lover and I'm working on converting him slowly. We usually just eat local organic chicken and seafood that he catches right now. I am always looking for recepie ideas and new friends

My husband is the same way! It's so hard when he keeps trying to cook dinner for us and he gets frustrated so easily when I don't want the meat.