Don't leave your dog in your car.

Options

Replies

• HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    this makes me sick...and so upset everytime i see it. ive left our great dane in the truck while we ran into walmart ONCE but i refused to do it unless we left the truck running and air blasting...so thats what we did. i wouldnt sit in there on a hot summer day with a stupid cracked window and i would be damned if i let my precious boy do it either. i still felt horrible and now if we are out with our dog i just make my husband go in by himself and i stay with the dog....or we take him home first. that simple.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Especially here in Texas. This really pisses me off... Thanks for the reminder to everyone. Never leave your pets in the car!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I hate seeing that! I leave nasty notes on the cars.

You should call the cops instead of leaving notes. :wink:

as in 911 or the local sheriffs department?

We don't have a Sheriff's department. I would just call 911.

ok cool...I wondered if the 911 operator would diss me saying it's not a real emergency...

cause the person could have ran in the gas station to get something real quick...

people would have to use common sense on these situations...

A dog will typically be very restless in these situations I imagine. I mean you can tell if the dog is ok in there without any cracked window or he's been in that situation for a bit and needs to get out. When you call 911 in my area, they notify whoever is closer (sheriff, local, state) and you can tell them that while this is possibly not an emergency and the owner might be on his way back but the dog seems very restless and possibly needs some rescueing. Most authorities are animal lovers and while they'll prioritize a human life, they will most likely be with you shortly since they greatly value animal lives too
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

as in 911 or the local sheriffs department?

We don't have a Sheriff's department. I would just call 911.

ok cool...I wondered if the 911 operator would diss me saying it's not a real emergency...

cause the person could have ran in the gas station to get something real quick...

people would have to use common sense on these situations...

A dog will typically be very restless in these situations I imagine. I mean you can tell if the dog is ok in there without any cracked window or he's been in that situation for a bit and needs to get out. When you call 911 in my area, they notify whoever is closer (sheriff, local, state) and you can tell them that while this is possibly not an emergency and the owner might be on his way back but the dog seems very restless and possibly needs some rescueing. Most authorities are animal lovers and while they'll prioritize a human life, they will most likely be with you shortly since they greatly value animal lives too

Here in AZ, it's taken seriously, and falls under "animal abuse". Of course, it is a judgment call when the officer arrives if it is abuse or not (like previously stated, is it an emergency or not).
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Called the police recently on a dog locked in a car. It was a black car, and about 90f outside. I wonder what came of it....
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I had a friend call the cops and they took awhile to get there so they told her to break the window.. she gladly did.. poor thing was soooo thirsty...
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    So angry! Is it irresponsibility or just plain stupidty???

Poor little pup.

I don't understand why people don't realize that they shouldn't leave their kids or their pets sitting in a hot car!!!!!!!! How many times do they have to be told???
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Commonsense isn't very common anymore!
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I was so pissed when I saw this on the news today. :explode:
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Some people are the biggest idiots. Yeah lets leave a pet in the car for over 2 hrs when it is 90+ outside. For their punishment they should have to sit in a car with the windows rolled up for 2+ hours in 90+ degree temps.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my dumb-butt sister did this to her dog. Came out of the hotel and the dog was in a stupor. They had to put it to sleep because its brain was basically fried.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I call the cops whenever I see this. People are horrible!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    oh dear. This breaks my heart. How can people be so irresponsible. You can crack open the window by a fairly big margin before most dogs are able to get out of the car. This is just cruel

Cracking the windows isn't good enough. The dogs can still get heat stroke fairly quickly.

Most people don't realize how much more sensitive to heat that dogs are compared to us. They can barely sweat, and then only from the feet, which doesn't do much at all for thermoregulation. Most of their heat transfer is accomplished through panting, which is only so efficient and also leads to more rapid fluid loss. No wild canid is intentionally active during the heat of the day. They use this time to rest in the shade. If your dog is unfit, older or even just a little overweight, they can easily get heat stroke on just a short walk on a warm day (even just in the 80s). My dogs are athletes, but I never run them far or fast and never over 80 degrees. I've seen way too many dogs die from heat stroke.
  • Pomoch325
    Pomoch325 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So sad. I have called the police before about a dog in a hot car.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

No, they should bust the effing window out take the dog out, give it a drink, and then wait for the owners. Then when they come out tell them if they don't call the cops you won't either. Also, if they let you keep the dog you won't kick their *kitten*.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Call the police when you see this - it's considered animal abuse.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to have pets.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I am all about calling the cops if I see an animal in the car. I once had to call on someone who left their infant in the car. It was 102 outside that day - WTF really???

I would have absolutely busted the window out on that one and gotten the kid out and THEN called the cops.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

No, they should bust the effing window out take the dog out, give it a drink, and then wait for the owners. Then when they come out tell them if they don't call the cops you won't either. Also, if they let you keep the dog you won't kick their *kitten*.

I like your approach.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

Agreed. Call the police, and, if possible, wait for them to arrive.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    People are just plain stupid... if it's not leaving their pets (cats should be included here) in the car... then it's putting their infant on that little "seat" on the front of the grocery basket while still in the carrier.