I HATE LEAN CUISINE, HEALTHY CHOICE, SMART ONES AND KASHI

Options

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Pssst. None of these foods are made by "health food companies".

Lean Cuisine - Nestle
    Smart Ones - Heinz
    Healthy Choice - ConAgra
  • ox45
    ox45 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think your biggest error in this whole scenario is that you consider these health foods. Healthier, sure. Health foods, no.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I realize the best way to meet your RDA requirements is from fresh vegetables and fruit, however it would be nice if some health food company out there tried to help us meet them with packaged convenient meals! If anything it would show people the type of food combinations you'd have to make to meet these requirements.

At that point people could go prepare their own or if they can afford it, would buy the prepackaged version for convenience purposes.

First of all, in no way is packaged food less expensive then fresh food. I tried giving myself that excuse too. :) But I learned fresh food is actually cheaper. Second, you can't get both "healthy" and "packaged" into one. The things they need to add to the food to keep it on the shelves in packages is enough for me to not want to eat them.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I spend 45 minutes one night a week making one big pot of soup, or salad of fresh vegetables, and not only do I have lunch for days, but I know exactly the nutritional content because I made it myself.

I'm not going to say there's no point in any frozen food, but buying single-serving meals is ultimately more expensive and less nutritious
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Ditto. They're not even really "healthy" for you. It's a better option than fast food though I suppose. I NEVER ever felt satisfied after eating those. Kashi just tastes like paper.

Cute puppy in your profile pic btw!!
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    I can't eat those foods because they make me gain a ton of weight. I think they should be obligated to list EVERYTHING that their food contains, including the ingredients they use to make it "less fattening".
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you have a Fresh & Easy market nearby, check out their "eatwell" prepared meals. They taste just like home cooked meals to me, portion-controlled and have less sodium, usually 400 mg MAX, than other frozen meals (which IMHO taste like absolute garbage).
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    When did these become health food companies?

These brands are made by massive food industry companies who could not care less about health, but they will market a cheaply made product as being healthy as long as it makes them money.

There is very little in the middle of a modern grocery store that is healthy. Shop the outer perimeter and the freezer section for frozen veggies. That's where all the healthy stuff hides.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Second, you can't get both "healthy" and "packaged" into one. The things they need to add to the food to keep it on the shelves in packages is enough for me to not want to eat them.

This is not true, though I think you mean "preprepared" rather than packaged. You can purchase packaged fresh, dried or frozen foods with no additives. And who wants to carry home unpackaged fish or meat? Also, some foods don't need additives to stay fresh in a package. You just need to read the labels.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Second, you can't get both "healthy" and "packaged" into one. The things they need to add to the food to keep it on the shelves in packages is enough for me to not want to eat them.

This is not true, though I think you mean "preprepared" rather than packaged. You can purchase packaged fresh, dried or frozen foods with no additives. And who wants to carry home unpackaged fish or meat? Also, some foods don't need additives to stay fresh in a package. You just need to read the labels.

I'm not referring to packaged fruit/veggies, fresh meals, etc. I'm talking about prepackaged foods. And please, if you know of one that doesn't have chemicals added to it, let me know cause that will be the first one I've found in over a year. :) lol
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I'm not referring to packaged fruit/veggies, fresh meals, etc. I'm talking about prepackaged foods. And please, if you know of one that doesn't have chemicals added to it, let me know cause that will be the first one I've found in over a year. :) lol

Happy Planet makes a nice line of soups that are free of chemicals and preservatives. They have a short shelf life but are good in a pinch instead of the microwaveable frozen prepackaged stuff.

http://soups.happyplanet.com/soups/?soup=8#
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I rather cook my own meals from fresh ingredients. However, I may eat these things once in awhile if I'm feeling lazy or want something different. They just aren't filling and usually aren't even that healthy. I saw something once about calorie count on these boxes is often wrong - and that that is OK (not against the law). I'm guessing that's with most foods out there? They measured and showed which ones were the closest to what it said on the box and the ones that were were the ones you would think were healthier (think NOT pizza or cheeseburgers)....

when i was trying to lose weight in the past, i would eat a LOT of lean cuisines. and I was always hungry. now i don't deprive myself of anything, believe in everything in moderation and cook a lot more. i have lost 35 lb. over the past year and i think that's pretty damn good.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

What is the difference in packaged and prepackaged? Or do you mean preprepared meals (e.g. frozen dinners or pizza, canned soups or stews, etc.).
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    For something fast when I don't feel like cooking, I eat them, I like them. I look for the lowest calorie, carb and sodium options and for me they are better then any fast food I can get. I always add extra no salt veggies to mine to make them more filling.
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think your biggest error in this whole scenario is that you consider these health foods. Healthier, sure. Health foods, no.

This. None of these companies claim they are health food companies. These are simply an option that, while not the best food you could eat, is still healthier than say a Banquet frozen dinner or McDonalds.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    When did these become health food companies?

These brands are made by massive food industry companies who could not care less about health, but they will market a cheaply made product as being healthy as long as it makes them money.

There is very little in the middle of a modern grocery store that is healthy. Shop the outer perimeter and the freezer section for frozen veggies. That's where all the healthy stuff hides.

Yeah, I trust those companies about as far as I could throw them. Quality is not something you're going to get when trying to create a meal for 4 bucks and can store in the freezer for months.
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I always laugh at those "healthy" or "light" frozen foods. While tempting to pick a few up for the convenience of a quick lunch, the portions are so small that I joke with my husband that I'd have to eat three of them. By that time I could have eaten a huuuuuge salad which would be so much more nutritious and filling.

My best strategy is to plan dinners with future lunches in mind, so I can eat leftovers instead of frozen prepacked stuff.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Yeah I never understood this. So many people at my work are trying to eat healthy and all they eat are the lean cuisines and the smart ones. Well it's low cal so it's healthy. Huh!?! I prefer some chicken and veggies over that stuff. At least the real food will keep you full for more than an hour.
  • nmclaurin
    nmclaurin Posts: 43
    Options
    I don't eat them. There are plenty of other foods to chose from. Fresh foods.

THIS!
  • nmclaurin
    nmclaurin Posts: 43
    Options
    Once you start eating fresh, whole foods you prepare yourself, those things taste like straw.