Crossfit--worth it or too extreme?

Options

Replies

• janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Thank you. It's nice to know there are people out there who "clean" with even worse form than me.

My face hurt watching this. I kept waiting for those girls to knock a tooth out or break their nose.

I couldn't get past the second girl. My toes were curling so bad I got a cramp...
  • Ashly744
    Ashly744 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Its all about the person. Crossfit may seem extreme but they have substitution workouts for beginners or for people who aren't comfortable doing certain exercises. The key is to listen to your body. I just started doing crossfit and I don't follow it extremely. I do my exercises, I do my substitutions and most important I pay attention to my body.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Thank you. It's nice to know there are people out there who "clean" with even worse form than me.

My face hurt watching this. I kept waiting for those girls to knock a tooth out or break their nose.

I couldn't get past the second girl. My toes were curling so bad I got a cramp...

I have never seen anyone clean this poorly. That was hideous. Why would you not use an overhand hook grip when cleaning? So awkward!
  • sigkap977
    sigkap977 Posts: 1
    Options
    FIrst off, I not a member of a Crossfit gym, however, I started the basic home routine using Crossfit concepts.

Crossfit is a community that embraces pushing your body to the limits. Interesting enough it was suppose to just make people more conscious of what they put in their bodies and exercise by using simple techniques. In essence, you want to focus on both your body and mind. The problem is that in the past couple of years it has been media hyped. A lot of it depends on what "box" you go to. Some offer a free trial class where you can go and check it out. The important thing like any gym in finding a trainer you're comfortable with and is concerned about your health or injuries that you may sustain.

The cult factor is that a good portion of people who join Crossfit love it so much they want to keep pushing their limits and raising the bar. I'm sure a lot of people are "A type" personalities who are really into it. They want to go beyond just being fit and that's when you start entering in competitions.

In the end it's up to you. Sometimes you need that push to make you want change your habits and lifestyle. Check youtube and blogs concerning this before joining a Crossfit gym. The only reason you need to go any trainer is if you want to concentrate more on weightlifting. There's nothing like doing a dead-lift and feeling something pop in your back.
  • carolyndoris
    Options
    I started doing Crossfit 3 months ago. Prior to that I worked out at the local World's Gym. I never even broke a sweat working out on my own.

I really like having a trainer at Crossfit who is constantly encouraging me and correcting my form. I cannot believe the improvements that Crossfit has made to my body and my cardio levels.

I can see why people have concerns about the lifting, but all of my lifts are scaled. I started doing the olympic lifts with just a dowel until I could get my form correct. We also have a 10-session on boarding program for beginners that is mandatory.

I live in Northern Canada and Crossfit is $180/month for an unlimited membership. Personal training here runs at $40/hr!

Our trainer at Crossfit tells us to eat whatever we want. There are a few men that go to the evening class that eat Paleo but most people just try to eat healthy foods, "clean" eating.

In the past when I have wanted to lose weight, I have turned to a quick fix starvation diet, i.e. Isagenix. Now that I am doing Crossfit, I know that I have to fuel my body. It really focuses on strength over skinny. I have not lost any weight since starting Crossfit but I have definitely lost body fat.

For the negative people on this post, your thought processes are very unhealthy. There is a great website "the Mood Gym" which offers free cognitive behavioural therapy. I strongly encourage you to work through the program. It is amazing what a difference it will make. Attacking people for choosing a form of exercise that you do not agree with is completely irrational behaviour. This forum is supposed to be a supportive outlet for people who want to live a healthy lifestyle. Stress and negativity can really have a harmful long-term impact on your health.
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    I took a Crossfit class, just one, it's too much for me. My experience there was great, the coach seemed to know what he was doing and everyone there was very supportive and encouraging.

I did enjoy the one class I took, but it left me way too sore for over a week. I had to couch myself for several days and I just wasn't feeling it.

It's not for me, but it works wonders for others. I think the anyone trying to be fit should do what they enjoy, they're more likely to stick to it and there are obviously many out there that enjoy Crossfit.

As far as a "cultish" vibe, I can see that, but those WODs are difficult and the people that are doing them are really working hard. I can behave the same way at times about what I do at the gym. Not because I necessarily think you need to do what I do or that what you do is somehow less than what I do, but because I bust my hump and give my workouts my all every time.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    Disclaimer: I am a CrossFitter. I don't do Paleo. I'm a copywriter, so I'm pretty sure I won't be dodging bullets or saving anyone's life anytime soon.

Is it worth it?

Yes, but only if you need it. And I'll tell you why. I hate traditional "exercise". For me, the 7 Circles of hell all feature jogging or swimming in some way. I get extremely bored and end up not going. The same goes with weightlifting. I always start, get self-conscious at the meat-heads (no offense anyone. If you are one, you're probably happy about it) and quit. CrossFit keeps me on my toes, and I don't get bored. There is a level of friendly competition, and my "Box" is the only place I've ever worked out where someone whose name I didn't know slapped me on the back and said "You can do this". It makes me want to work out. It makes me want to be fit. That being said, I'm sure if I had the motivation or attention span to be able to do this on my own, I probably would. But for someone like me, this has been the only thing that has kept me going.

Is it too extreme?

It can be. People DO get sucked in, and it becomes their life. Especially the Paleo people. God forbid they ever eat a cupcake. They could never forgive themselves. There are also some people who are obsessed They push themselves too hard attempting to set new PR's or knock out "Fran" in under 4 minutes and end up with screwed Lumbar and a case of Rhabdo. It does happen. But there are plenty of people, like myself, who CrossFit and haven't "drank the Kool-Aid". We like that there is someone dictating our workouts, checking our form, and encouraging us. Some of the workouts ARE nasty. You scale them to your level. Can't do "Karen" with a 20 lb medicine ball? Drop it to 10 lbs, or maybe cut the reps from 150 to 75. I almost never do the WOD's as Rx'ed, because I am a small guy and am doing this to stay in shape, not to prepare for the zombie apocalypse. For instance, if the WOD for the day at my gym is one of the "Hero" workouts (which are very, very difficult), I'll do one of the other approved workouts like "Cindy" or "Jackie". Just because the majority of the people there are doing one thing doesn't mean EVERYONE has to. I do what I am comfortable with.

Have I been injured? Yes. I got a hernia and had to have surgery. But I got that doing Back Squats and it wasn't even near my max weight. Squats are something almost everybody does at their Globo Gym and a lot of people even do them at home. I also got a broken toe while walking my dog and blew out my knee playing soccer. Injuries happen. I don't blame it on CrossFit. Especially since it was a hernia, a super common injury for anyone that lifts. Even infants get hernias and, last time I checked, they weren't trying to set a PR on a Clean and Jerk. However, I have heard of some CrossFit affiliates that can push too hard. It depends on the box and the trainers there. There is quite a bit of argument even on the official CrossFit discussion bored about this very thing. Do your research. Use common sense.

Long post short, if you are anything like me and want someone watching you, planning your workouts, keeping you guessing, and a group of people encouraging you...Join a Box. If you can stay with a proper workout plan on your own, can't stand up to a trainer when something is too difficult, and don't get bored doing traditional exercises, it IS probably too extreme for you and you shouldn't waste your money.

Thank you for reading.

Chris
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    ^ Ditto this.

It's easy to get sucked in, and there are a lot of "elitist" within the community, but I think what they are trying to do (by introducing a big brother like Reebok) is to bring it to the masses so that we can start looking at exercise differently.

You also need to find a box that has a comprehensive on-ramp program. A lot of boxes offer a week long on-ramp - I'd avoid that at all costs. You cannot learn proper lift technique in 3 classes. Make sure your trainers go through a proper warm up, and stretching post WOD, they discuss nutrition with you (merits/disadvantages of Paleo/Primal/Zone/LC etc..).

A good CF affiliate will encourage you, help you and embrace you into a family. They will get to know you, check up on you if you are a no-show. It doesn't matter what your fitness level is. One of my good friends started CF at 315 lbs, and she's lost over 100 pounds already - yes she used to be the slowest to run 400 m, but we never made her feel "slow" or "last". We just cheered her on and applauded when she finished a WOD.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bump!!! I have been doing crossfit for only 3 weeks, 4 days a week. I'm about 70lbs overweight and i love that everything can be scaled to suit my performance abilities. i already feel myself getting stronger and clothes fitting looser. i LOVE my trainer, he's such an awesome motivator and really pushes me when i need it. I've never looked forward to going to the gym before, but now i can't wait to get back!!!

I truly believe Crossfit is my 1 way ticket to a healthy body and I can tell I'm already hooked for life!!! :happy:
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    For most people, Crossfit is too extreme. And it is much more expensive than getting a membership at most gyms.

So unless you are one of those super pumped up athletic types, my advice is to avoid Crossfit.
  • insearchoffitness
    Options
    If you are interested in high-level athletic performance and outstanding overall physical fitness to rival firefighters and infantry grunts in the armed forces, then it could be worth it. If you are going to be content to be an "average" human, it's likely not.

^^^ This

For some, it is a great program/workout/cult, whatever. For others, it is an invitation to injury.
  • moksumike
    moksumike Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started Crossfit last February. I am having a great experience! I am stronger, feel better and have lost 41 pounds in the process. I go three times a week and give it my best. I am sometimes the slowest person and do the least amount of weight, but I am giving it all I have.

I also believe the trainers at Crossfit can create all the difference in the world. If you have multiple gyms in your area check them all out before you choose one.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    While I have respect for any program that gets people active and is effective at increasing their overall health and fitness level, I find that Crossfit is not for me.

First, the monthly dues are exorbitant- up to 5 or 6 times what I pay for my normal gym dues. My gym gives me everything I need to get in a good workout- a wide range of free weights, hammer strength, machines and cardio equipment, not to mention multiple locations in my area that ensure that I'm able to get in a workout regardless of where my schedule might have me on a given day. I can't say the same for Crossfit- it's my understanding that your membership is tied to a specific gym, making it entirely inconvenient for my schedule.

Second, Crossfit is not conducive to meeting the goals I've set for myself. Crossfit will not help me increase my lean muscle mass, nor will it help me increase my overall strength levels in the squat and deadlift. If my goals were to increase my overall athletic performance, conditioning and agility, then I'd certainly consider Crossfit an option.

Third, a lot has been made about the increased risk of injury due to the idea that the workouts need to be executed with speed in order to "beat the clock", etc. I'm not going to say that the injury risk is greater than a conventional workout, as I've seen countless idiots at my gym doing bastardized versions of traditional weightlifting exercises with such horrible form that an injury is all but inevitable. But, for me, there's never any reason for me to rush through my workouts- as long as I manage to keep my heart rate up, my form solid and my reps where I need them to be, then that's all that matters. I will never try to rush through a rep with compromised form in order to finish my set or workout more quickly.
  • MtnJunkie711
    Options
    Second, Crossfit is not conducive to meeting the goals I've set for myself. Crossfit will not help me increase my lean muscle mass, nor will it help me increase my overall strength levels in the squat and deadlift. If my goals were to increase my overall athletic performance, conditioning and agility, then I'd certainly consider Crossfit an option.

This is actually not true, I totally understand it isn't for you but I just didn't want everyone to think that this can't happen with CrossFit. Again, it depends on the box that you join. If you are a part of a box that is strength focused (like mine) it is possible. I do supplement my regular WOD's with specific work on the lifts tha to improve as well, so not every day is a crossfit workout at my box. It is all up to the member to do what they feel is going to help them excel.

I have increased my lean muscle mass (diet dependent) and my strength levels have increased. Yes, the workouts are taxing and not your normal strength based routine, but the box is what you make of it. I don't think CrossFit is the be all end all because different thing work for different people. I also don't think that CrossFit is the absolute worst thing you can do either, it will take time to learn the lifts, but there is a learning period with every activity someone chooses to do.

Just so I don't get bashed for being an internet troll, this was my last meet result:
    WNPF South Carolina State Champion - Open class 198 lbs
    485 squat, 335 bench, 585 deadlift
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPTR9NNHOWU&list=UUg1h3FcfKP6mFLrV8ZBF3ow&index=45&feature=plcp
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You gain +2 to necromancy
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    been crossfitting since June 25th... absolutely love it.. the community and my trainers... worth every penny.. i could not see myself going back to a conventional gym... I've never been in better shape, lost more inches or sweat as much in my life! Its not easy... laying on the ground panting after some workouts... and it's not for everyone but don't knock it til you tried it... that's all i have to say.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Very fitting that this thread would be revived the same week as The Walking Dead S3 premiere.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I purchased 12 classes for $30 on groupon. I have until Dec 30th to use them. I think I will start next month. I think I'll like it. I have a friend who has been doing cross fit for over a year and he looks amazing. He keeps telling me to give it a try so that is exactly what I'm going to do. Its good to hear all of this feedback on crossfit.
  • linds2324
    Options
    I just started doing Crossfit 4 weeks ago at my local box. Everyone is required to do the 2 week (6 session) training course to learn the fundamentals. I "graduated" to the regular WODs on October 8. My coaches are extremely passionate about the sport & all of us that do it. They modify the WODs to my level. I haven't been able to do a WOD as Rx, but I'm working on it!

I'm hooked!
  • angilenet
    Options
    Anything can be "too extreme". I absolutely love crossfit! Don't knock it till you try it!