Too big to exercise?

Options

Replies

• 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I can tell you that when I started I was 304lbs and I couldn't exercise very long AT ALL. What i started doing was going on a short walk. There is a lake on the opposite side of the road about about two tenths of a mile and I started out walking down to the the lake and sitting down to rest then walking back home. After a little bit I was able to walk down to the lake and back that is when I started walking on the gazelle every night and going for hikes with my husband and kids. At first I had to stop every 10th of a mile but my tolerance just kept building up and up. I'm now doing 2 mile hikes(walk/run combo) and I can do it with only 1 or 2 rest stops which are when my kids want to stop to play in the water for a few minutes. The rest of the hike is me waiting on them now instead of them waiting on me! You just have to do what you can do but do it several times a day and every few days add 5 mins...it worked for me even though I can't say it will work for you it's an option for you to try. Good luck!
    Angel
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You are not too big to exercise. I hate when I hear someone say this. It's just not true.

I started at 330lbs and at first it was horrible. HORRIBLE. I wanted to do more than my body could physically handle, and you know, that's fine. I did clear it with my doctor before I started, which I recommend doing, and going in every once in a while to double check you're still doing ok (and hopefully, you're starting to improve your physical health.)

Once you get the all clear to work out, then take it slow and do what you can but expect you'll feel like you're dying sometimes. It will feel that way less and less as time goes on.

What I found to work for me (and this is just what worked for me, take what you want from it that might work for you) is that I started out going 5 days a week. It's a lot, but I found I improved very quickly in the beginning and got through the "I'm dying!" phase in about 3 weeks. I also did research on weight lifting and started doing weight lifting to strengthen my knees, which were causing me pain. About 3 weeks into working on my knees, the pain went away and I was able to do a lot more cardio.

I used the elliptical and the bike at first, then after about a month and a half I started walking on the treadmill too. At about 2 months in I started jogging. I could only jog for about 20 seconds at first, but I've worked up to where I run every other minute for 25-30 minutes. I also completed by first 5K in April, about 5 months into working out.

Take it slow and tell yourself you'll be able to do more soon. See your doctor regularly to make sure you're still doing ok. Good luck!
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I started out at 355. My blood pressure was out of control, and my knees and right hip had gotten so bad that I could barely sit in my desk chair at work all day, and walking was quite painful. To make matters worse, thanks to the other problems and some not so great walking shoes, I shortly thereafter developed plantar fascitis, which was quite painful.

My doctor told me not to exercise at all the first month, just diet and anti-inflamatories for my knee and hip problems. I lost 8 pounds the first month and my knees improved a little, so the second month he told me to start walking. I took my dog for walks, or rather she towed me in her impatient little wake. I couldn't do much more than half a loop around my neighborhood, but I stil lost about 14 pounds that second month. I was able to increase my walking time a little more each week, although the plantar fascitis was a real problem until I invested in some really high end, high support athletic shoes. Hot weather drove me to a local gym, and I was able to increase my exercise with the different cardio machines and the weight machines. My weight loss really picked up then.

So that's my long way of saying that as long as you don't have joint problems that will be aggravated by exercise, you aren't too big. Do what you can do at first; just do SOMETHING. Walking is great, as is swimming if you have access to a pool. You don't have to start out with Zumba or spinning or more advanced things like that. Just try and do a little bit more each week, and you'll get there.

Good luck on your journey!
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I began running when I was still 375lbs down from 394 and it was very tough. I could only run 1/4 of a mile before I was spent and I hurt terribly thereafter. I am by no means advocating my approach, but if you search for obese runners, cyclists and swimmers the blogosphere is replete with personal journeys of people much bigger than you or I who are now fit athletes. The key, as I say in my blog is to just begin and keep on beginning each day.

One other thing to consider is that all athletes have to endure a sucktastic warm up period. For the first minutes or miles, exercise is hard for almost everyone. I have a friend who runs the Boston who endures this for 4 or 5 miles, but once you break through this period something magical happens and you just keep going. For you it may be a few minutes and then you can go for a few more minutes, but in time that will improve.

I am now down 112 pounds and am competing in my first sprint triathlon this Saturday so just begin and keep beginning each day. You are NOT too big to exercise, but we have all been more than big enough to die from not beginning!
  • Scarlettbird50
    Scarlettbird50 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ditto on those who mention aquafit type classes. I do these because it doesn't hurt my knees and I don't get all red and sweaty and feel like I could die like I do in regular classes. I hope to build up some endurance this way and drop a bit of weight then hope i can do other things. And walking is great too, dress in layers!!! keep on going you can do this.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I started out at 393 lbs at 50 years old and lost 53 lbs this year. Start slow and work up to it. Good luck.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest back in 08 I felt that way. I weighed 245 pounds. My knees ached all the time! I lost the first initial 30 pounds from pushing through it. My treadmill was my friend. I would walk/jog for thirty minutes and then gradually increased the length of time to about 45 minutes and found myself jogging more than walking. Look at the people starting out on the Biggest Loser...many of them have a lot more than 100 pounds to lose and they worked out for long periods of time.

All things are possible. You may feel like your dying. Look at it as weakness leaving your body!
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I started on here about a month ago. I started at 350 lbs. I'm at 339 now. I started walking 30 minutes at a slow but steady pace. Now I can walk a brisk pace for 60 minutes and do 30 minutes of dancing without feeling like I'm gonna keel over lol. Start slow and work your way up.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I would definately say talk to a doctor before starting any excercise program.
    One of my mother's friends, I'm not sure what she weighed, but was very out of shape.
    She did this workout, very low impact aerobics geared to seniors called "SIT AND BE FIT". All the excercises were done from a chair and would just get her moving. I agree with another poster and say walking would be a great excercise. Another idea may be water excercising, swimming and workout classes.
    I personally think you just have to get your endurance up. With time and hard work, I know you can do it!
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor, but I started exercising at 490lbs. I started off just walking for a few months. At first just a mile, and built up to 3-4 miles. Then I joined a gym and started using the ellipse machines and exercises bikes there and lifting weights. I would also invest in a heart rate monitor, so you can really see how hard you are working.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Sorry to repeat what most have been saying, but, yes...talk to your doctor first.
    I was 300 lbs and a 10 minute walk felt like a death crawl to me. But when it turned into a 20 minute walk, I was super jazzed about it! The little things will add up and you will build your endurance. But for me when I tried to do too much of anything I would burn myself out at the beginning. I lost the majority of my weight by walking. But any little exercise will help! Wishing you the best!
  • DaleArden
    DaleArden Posts: 26
    Options
    About this time last year, I couldn't even walk for a mile without being desperately out of breath and having to take a break. I built up my ability to walk very slowly--I'd take a book to the local park and walk until I started to feel discomfort, then stop and read for 15 minutes, then walk a little more. As I got to know where the benches/sitting areas were, I started to walk to the next bench along, and so on, until I was able to walk an entire circuit of the park. It took a while, but I did it and stayed mostly out of discomfort. Thanks to the fact that I did this--and did it slowly--I was able to start going to the gym in February. Again, I started out super slowly (level 1 on the elliptical for 5 minutes almost killed me!) but now I'm up to level 10, and I do at least 90 minutes of intense cardio every single day. I've even started running--albeit much more slowly than even Couch to 5K would like. I'd suggest you take it really slowly and carefully. My mantra has been never to work out so much that I'm in pain--discomfort, yes, a healthy burn is good, but I don't ever want to be so sore that I can't move the next day. Be gentle with yourself, increase your distance by incremental amounts and you'll be amazed how fat you get. Good luck!
  • mamasyd
    mamasyd Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    First, let me add my voice to those saying that it would be best to consult your doctor first. I began my journey at 385 pounds and was in very poor cardiac health. I did no exercise at all until I had lost the first 60 pounds and been cleared by my cardiologist to begin. (Actually, I didn't start exercising until I had lost about 80 pounds.)

When I first started, I used the Biggest Loser Jump Start DVD. It had 10 minute workouts with modifications on many of the exercises. I could only do about 7-8 of the 10 minutes initially - and most of that was the modified versions! Although the DVD is designed to be used for four weeks, with each week basically doubling the amount from the week before, I stayed on the 'first week' for about four months. Eventually I could do the entire ten minute workout without having to modify many of them. At that point I moved on to the second week!

It is a very slow process. The weight wasn't gained quickly and it won't come off quickly (that is, it shouldn't - especially if you want it to be a lasting change). Just keep at it. Don't give up - even if two minutes is all you can handle! Just do that two minutes every day until you find it can be three, and then four.

The truth is that I still don't love exercising. I have not become a "fitness junkie" like so many others that I have read about. My greater joy is being able to have an active lifestyle, burning calories through things like serving at my church and playing with my grandchildren. Yes, I do have an elliptical and an exercise bike - they both get use, but not daily!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Exercise can be done by anyone who can PHYSICALLY do it. Problem is that many think they should be doing what everyone else is. You do exercise that is FIT for you. If it's walking to start with, then that's what you start with.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sweetiemimila
    sweetiemimila Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi hunnie. Well I agree with others about getting a doctor's opinion first because you never know what is going on within your body. I don't know how much you weigh, but I am 390. I walk a couple of miles on the treadmill everyday if possible; I lift weights; and do a couple of cardio dvds at home with the shortest one being 46 minutes. I also try to jump rope, do situps, and crunches. In my opinion, I don't think anyone is too big to not exercise. We can always start somewhere. I think that once we do get so big sometimes and not use to the exercise, our muscles and bones tend to get accustomed to not moving so often. So when we finally do start again our muscles start to hurt for instance back hurting, legs hurting, and shortness of breath from all of the weight. I used to sit down and give up when I got in pain, but I know now that if I quit everytime it gets tough or hard I am never going to know how strong I really am or get to where I want to be. Gaining weight is easy, but losing weight is where all the sweat, pain, tears, and hard work comes in. But good luck on your journey. Remember you are strong and can do anything you put your mind too. Take Care xoxo
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Defintally ask your Doctor!

Also though, if he/she gives the go ahead...from someone who started @ a very large size...

I started TurboJam when I was 337...and would start with the intro workout...and then moved up to the 20 min, and went from there. She has a good modifer, so I did what that person did. I now can do an hour of Zumba or TurboFire etc... :) Start slow, videos are good, because you can pause, or go back and no one sees you ;). You can do it! I have a knee I've had surgery on, and bad ankles I wear wraps on....and have still been able to lose! Walking is also very good just to get yourself moving... or look for an exercise bike etc @ goodwill....anything to get yourself started will have an impact! Exercise bands or even an under the desk elliptical you could sit in a chair to use would be less stress on your body. Before you know it you will be able to more on to more strenuous workouts. I went from a couch potato to actually being addicted to working out. Something I NEVER thought would EVER happen!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I started at 224lb and knew I couldn't throw myself into an energetic exercise regime as I'd be going from being sat on my bum to sweating like a demon.

I started small - go to the gym three times a week with a routine consisting of 15 minutes walking uphill on the treadmill, then 20 minutes at a medium pace on the crosstrainer, 15 minutes at a medium pace on the bike, then 5 minutes cooldown on the treadmill - walking, no incline. That was enough to get me sweating good and proper!

I'll admit, it was frustrating - I wanted to throw myself into it and get that weight off me NOW. But it doesn't work like that, unfortunately - slow and steady wins the race. I didn't really base my exercise increase on weight, rather on how fit I was feeling. I upped it slowly - 10 more minutes on the crosstrainer here, 10 more minutes on the bike there.

I can echo other poster's sentiments about swimming; it was great for when my joints felt like they were taking a pounding. Even the gentlest laps did me the world of good.

You can do it, honestly - it's just having the combination of grit and patience. Good luck :)
  • Creamshakes
    Creamshakes Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm starting small because of my size. Some things really are just too much for me at the current time thanks to being a smoker and also starting off at 330lbs. I'm 290 now, so, I'm doing light cardio and yoga.

I reccomend TTap, Walk Away The Lbs and yoga. I fall a lot with the yoga but admittedly, it's still kinda fun...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I'll definitely see a doctor soon to see what I should be doing. I've tried a variety of things, never lasting more than a day or two on each: 30 day shred, couch to 5k plan, various workout videos. I think I'm trying to do too much too fast because I never exercised AT ALL. I'm going to start just walking and building up my endurance for other things.

Similar to what I did. I started by trying to do all the stuff I did in HS. Needless to say trying to do the same stuff I did 70lbs lighter and 11 years younger didn't work out very well. I decided I needed to start at square one, and work up from there. I walked to the mailbox, then to the end of the block, then over to the other block and to the end of that. Then one day I felt like I might want to start running. So I ran as far as I could...which wasn't very far. Then I did C25K. Etc, etc.

It takes time. But when you reach a goal, you'll look back and be proud of yourself for coming that far. And other people who know your story will be proud of you.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I'll definitely see a doctor soon to see what I should be doing. I've tried a variety of things, never lasting more than a day or two on each: 30 day shred, couch to 5k plan, various workout videos. I think I'm trying to do too much too fast because I never exercised AT ALL. I'm going to start just walking and building up my endurance for other things.

I think you nailed it here. See the dr, make sure you are cleared but then start slow. If you have not been exercising walking is a darn good stepping stone to the road to fitness. Good luck on your journey.

Yep, you did nail it. The first time I did 30 Day Shred I thought I was going to throw up....and I'm 115 lbs, in "ok" shape, and just wanting to tone up. Take it easy at first...walking sounds like a great start.