Too big to exercise?

Options
12346»

Replies

• tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    I started off at 247lbs. So felt I was too big at the beginning to exercise. I started with a short walk daily - walked the children to school and then walked the long way home ( 3/4 mile in total) it didn't take long, or interfere with my day. Once I felt a bit better I increased the distance, so used to walk a bit a circuit, about 1.5 miles. This helped to get me moving without too much pain. Once I started losing I then started using some exercise DVD's at home (cheating on some of the exercises I couldn't do) but at least I was moving. Now 69lbs down, and 5 dress sizes smaller, I still use the DVDs, but I also go to the gym and swimming pool. My work pattern is different so I don't do the walking so much now, but have increased my exercise from nothing to about 4 hours per week
    My advice for what it is worth, start slowly and build up, find something you enjoy doing or isn't a chore. Make it work around your lifestyle, as you have to keep it up, so doing 10hours a day, such as Biggest Loser, is not going to work in the long term, as we all have a life too!

All the best, I hope you find something you are able and enjoy doing.
  • curvychatterbox
    curvychatterbox Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem even after losing 24 lbs so I just started water aerobic classes and have found that I can manage without any difficulty. Since I have a back and ankle injury this is really working for me!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I'll definitely see a doctor soon to see what I should be doing. I've tried a variety of things, never lasting more than a day or two on each: 30 day shred, couch to 5k plan, various workout videos. I think I'm trying to do too much too fast because I never exercised AT ALL. I'm going to start just walking and building up my endurance for other things.

This is probably a good plan. See a doctor to see if you CAN push yourself to your maximum (your doc will probably do some bloodwork and possibly an EKG to make sure the ol' ticker can handle it(). Exercise to a level where you are comfortable and you push yourself just a teensy bit each day, trying to make each day be just a teeny bit better than the day before.

When I started out, I mapped a 3-mile route and walked it at lunch. When I started, at 280 pounds, it would take me an hour and I'd be really sore. I walked it to the best of my ability, and after just a few weeks I was finding I was less sore, and completing it in about 55 minutes. So I added a couple of tenths to the route, and kept at it. It took time, but I was soon doing 4 miles in an hour (a decent brisk walking pace) and not feeling sore at the end.

It was no C25K or 30-day shred, but it was what I was comfortable starting with. I've had several friends jump in all gung-ho and they tended to give up quickly or injure themselves. Most of them are still the same weight they were, convinced that they could never work out.

I helped one friend who started at 330 pounds by just walking with him daily on a gentle walk, and giving him feedback on his progress. It took a few months for him to get to a point where he felt strong enough to walk the whole 4 miles briskly. He used his fitness and newfound confidence to burn calories for fun, joined Weight Watchers, made the cover of WW magazine for losing over 150 pounds, and now runs 10K races and is contemplating a half-marathon. He also weighs considerably less than I do now, but I had some significant stalls along the way. He stuck to it better than I did.

Start any way you think you can sustain it, at a level you can sustain. Just make sure you are pushing yourself a teeny bit every single day.
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have a problem where 30seconds - 2 minutes into a workout I feel like I am DYING. I've heard several theories: I'm not breathing right, I just have to get my endurance up, and then that I'm physically too large right now to do heavy cardio. Is there any truth to this? I've seen several bloggers who were trying to lose 100+ lbs that didn't start an exercise regimen until they'd lost about half of that so I was wondering if it's true. I certainly don't want to use that as a cop-out, but I also don't want to endanger myself exercising in a way that isn't good for me. Any thoughts? Or should I speak with a doctor about it?

I weigh about 390 and I am able to get in a workout several times a week. I don't go as fast or as long as some others, but anything is better than nothing. Yes, when I first started, I felt like I was dying a few minutes in. But I would push through and get past it. Even now, the first 5 minutes of the workout are usually pretty hard, but then I get a good rhythm going and I actually start feeling good and enjoying it. Start where YOU need to, and go from there.
  • KirstFaye
    KirstFaye Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Get in a pool! I started with swimming and aqua group fitness class. It relieves the weight on your joints, and lets you have a good workout.
    Good luck!!!!
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any such thing as "too big to exercise" - you just have to find the RIGHT exercise for you. Swimming is a good, all-round, low-impact exercise that can be done by people of any shape or size. If you cant run - walk! Make sure you get out for a short walk at least once every day, even if it's just 15 minutes during your lunch hour or after your dinner. Walk further and faster as you get used to it. You can do basic weights routines i your own home using cans of food or bottles of water for weights - just use your imagination and pick something up - even a heavy book or two is better than nothing. Basic stretches and yoga or pilates can also be done in your own home, so get a DVD and giv eit a try.
  • jessiesunshine
    Options
    I would recommend starting on things that are more your speed.. and working your way up. YOu aren't too big to excercise.. but you might be too big to do what someone else does... you could walk in place.. You could do light cardio in the form of a dance routine.. theres a great girl on youtube called amber blanch who does fun zumba videos that are a better speed for beginners.. thats what I do. You are so busy having fun you dont notice your heart rate is going up. But if you are trying something that is way too advanced for you.. you are setting yourself up for failure.
    Hope this was helpful! best of luck to you!!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I started at 450#...I want to say that yes, it is hard...but no excuses. Try going for walks or swimming. Both burn calories and are low impact. When I first started, I could barely walk to the end of the driveway let alone around the block, but I pushed to keep going. You can do this, the key is to not give up!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you are too big to exercise- make baby steps, start by walking, add in elliptical, then keep pushing yourself. That is what I did. I started at 332 lbs!!! Now I run, bike, walk, lift weights, anything that gets me moving! Talk to your dr. if you are concerned. I know that my body is thanking me for exercise throughout my weight loss. Yes, I have loose skin, but think of how much worse it would look if I just tried losing weight with caloric deficit and no exercise.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I'll definitely see a doctor soon to see what I should be doing. I've tried a variety of things, never lasting more than a day or two on each: 30 day shred, couch to 5k plan, various workout videos. I think I'm trying to do too much too fast because I never exercised AT ALL. I'm going to start just walking and building up my endurance for other things.

You're starting too aggressively. Try starting with something reasonable and work up from there.
  • spotofdirt
    spotofdirt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't go right into heavy exercise. I was 270...gained the weight pretty quickly. Used to be a runner before that. So i went right into running. Its been 5 months and im still having problems with my achille's tendons. I had to revert to just walking. I would start slow and really focus on eating right. I have been losing at the same rate as when I was running by just making good choices with food and going on walks. Give it some time to build up a good foundation.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Not at ALL.
  • BamaGirl_Tricia
    BamaGirl_Tricia Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I had ankle problems and it would hurt when I walked but by doing 10 minutes at a time for a week or so, then the muscles were strong enough that I then started walking 30 minutes and lately walking almost an hour. Build yourself up to exercise. The slow always wins the race.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I weighed 335 lbs in the beginning. I did not start doing any form of exercise except for going through a very basic weight training circuit with dumbbells (15 minutes a day, 3 days a week) until I got down to 275 lbs. I'm not sure what good that circuit did considering it was all I did.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Please see a doctor!

With that said, I remember when I first started working out, I couldn't do more than 3 minutes on the elliptical without feeling like I was going to faint. I have since, little by little built up my endurance and can now do 35 minutes and probably more if I tried.

However, my father just recently found out that he had some partially blocked arteries that were causing him to get tired really easily when he did even light exercise. Everyone in our family kept encouraging him just to "work through it" because he needed to "build endurance". Truth is, for him, that was not a great idea. Since then he has had 2 stents placed in his heart and NOW he is ready for some moderate exercise.

Tell a doctor your concern and ask them to help you rule out bigger problems before you do too much!

I had a long time of feeling tired when I exercised and getting chest pain if I tried to push it. It turned out I had heart problems too. Yes, struggling with exercise can be a sign that something is wrong.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I've never done a day of working out in my life, I'm so out of shape. Yesterday I did my first video of 30 day shred and TurboFire. Of course I was DYING and I took more breaks than they even allow but I finished both videos. I am sooo sore today but so very proud of myself.

If you don't have the endurance to go straight through, do what you can, take a break, and get back to it! Good luck. :)

P.S. I'm 265 pounds.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    If you think you should talk to a Dr you should. Cardio was a lot harder for me to get started with. I did 10 mins here or there at the gym but never consistently. But in March I started to walk just a little further each day. Then I bought a FitBit and tried to increase my steps to 10,000 a day. When I started I was at about 2,000. For the last eight weeks I have been using a Heart Rate Monitor and turning my walks into walk/jogs.

I just dropped under 300 lbs for the first time today.

Good luck.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Like they all said, start with walking and check with a doctor. But you can't run before you can walk. So start there and go up from there. If you're able to do some calisthenics, do those. But only if you're able.
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I think you nailed it here. See the dr, make sure you are cleared but then start slow. If you have not been exercising walking is a darn good stepping stone to the road to fitness. Good luck on your journey.

Yep, you did nail it. The first time I did 30 Day Shred I thought I was going to throw up....and I'm 115 lbs, in "ok" shape, and just wanting to tone up. Take it easy at first...walking sounds like a great start.

My thoughts exactly. I was around 290 the first time I did 30 D shred and I got through most of it but I'll never forget finishing and thinking I was truly going to vomit. I couldn't do all the jumping jacks or the jump roping either.

I also think the elliptical machine is not an easy machine At ALL. C25k is difficult for me now... even though I can do Turbo Fire which I consider quite difficult.

After speaking to your Doctor, I think walking is your best bet to start with. Build up your endurance and go from there. You can do this!!
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Hey there, I still have over 100 pounds to lose but I've lost 62. I started walking my dog (who is thrilled by the way lol) and now I'm walking anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes about 4-5 times a week and I've gotten up to 4kms. I hoping to get to the 5km mark by the end of the summer. I also bought a resistance band and a couple of free weights so I can do a little strength training. I tried a couple of programs (DVDs) but haven't found one that gets me going enough to stick with it so I'll keep doing this until I'm physically strong enough to push myself further. :) Good luck!