no more than 16oz soda nanny state or good thing?

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I should be able drink a wheelbarrow full of Dr. Pepper if I want to! This is 'Merica, dammit!!!

No but seriously, I think making larger cokes illegal is stupid. First, you can just buy 2 16 ounce cokes, problem solved. Second, this just feeds into the whole "McDonald's made me fat" thing. No, Big Gulps don't make you fat. YOU make you fat.
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    They could buy two, then end up drinking more than they would have to begin with :/
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Should people drink that much soda? Nope.
    Should the state regulate it? Nope.

Pretty much this. If I want to drink a 20oz soda it shouldn't be illegal. I sometimes drink diet/0cal sodas and don't know how people can drink 32 oz or larger but who am I to tell them not to. Nobody just like the government.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    To preface, I'm a liberal, democrat, etc.

It's nanny state. People should choose to be healthy/unhealthy. They should choose to live or die.

If I'm pro-choice about bigger things than soda size, I believe in the choice to be stupid, fat, lazy, ugly, brilliant, fit, hard-working, and everything in between.

I am a conservative Republican, and I completely agree with you. Wow, never thought I would say that... lol:ohwell:
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Did you see this article?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/story/2012-06-07/coke-q-and-a-coca-cola-mayor-bloomberg/55453016/1

According to the chick over at Coke, her son needs to come home to a refreshing pick me up with calories and energy after a long hard day at school.

I'm astonished.

All 16oz restrictions are going to do is cause people to carry around a cooler filled with extra bottles. No one is going to quit consuming crap until they really want to, size restriction has zero to do with it.
  • BadCookieMonster
    Options
    I think people just need to learn to control themeselves a little more, and know when to stop.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bunch of BS! I don't need anyone telling me what I can, and can't eat or drink.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'm conflicted on this one. My initial thought is the state shouldn't be making those decisions for people. However, the state does pay billions for health care in Medicaid, and that money comes from us taxpayers. I have all I can do to pay for my own health care, let alone for people who make stupid diet decisions. Mostly, though, I think the state has bigger things to be concerned with.
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    I heard the Russians were trying to sneak in through Mexico.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    The law is about regulating the soda COMPANIES, not consumers. If you want more than 16oz then you can go ahead and buy more than one. Nothing about it controls/takes away freedoms/etc. of consumers.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It's idiotic is what it is. So you can eat as many cheeseburgers or fries as you want, but only 16 oz. of soda (in one cup)? How does that help anything? There are things the government can do to encourage people to make healthier choices, make healthier choices more accessible, but that ain't it.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    ugh. don't even get me started. that is the stupidest thing. There should not be regulations like that. This country is becoming more and more controlled every day. we won't even be free for much longer. The government has no right to control stuff like that. that is our business and our life. what ever happened to people making their own decisions.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    While I am a soda drinker, I had to LEARN and TRAIN myself to go without one for the sake of my health. I honestly don't think it's the government's job to regulate these things. I'm not here on MFP because I could drink a 32 oz soda, I'm here because I did drink them (among eating other unhealthy things). Once we open the door for the government to start regulating one thing, we're opening the door for them to come in and regulate more.
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    While it sounds like a good thing it is just another freedom that we Americans are having taken away. If someone chooses the largest soda available that is their CHOICE! Just remember when you lose a freedom you rarely get it back... :grumble:

This.
  • kllyeve
    kllyeve Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Look at it like the regulations on smoking that came in years ago - new packaging requirements, new rules for selling to underage people, etc.

Since unhealthy choices affect the whole society in terms of productivity, health care costs, infrstructure costs(more hospitals, bigger seating etc) I think that these regulations come in from more the financial side than the "take away my freedom side".

Your personal choice to be unhealthy has huge cost to society in many ways. Government is just trying to mitigate some of the impacts by making it harder for people to be unhealthy - to save money and prevent the country from eating itself into a stupor.

Unhealthy people = unhealthy country.
  • Jstash88
    Jstash88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    We need a "like" button here on MFP!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    While it sounds like a good thing it is just another freedom that we Americans are having taken away. If someone chooses the largest soda available that is their CHOICE! Just remember when you lose a freedom you rarely get it back... :grumble:

This.

lol, right to life, liberty, and portion sizes...
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What do you think about this proposed new law in NY about not being able to sell/buy soda bigger than 16oz? good or bad?
    I think people are going to say "well since it's smaller now i'll buy 2 instead" and then they will be drinking 32oz instead of the original 20z soda comes in. so I think it could make it worse.
  • chamilton911
    Options
    This isn't really a way to make america healthier, guys. Its a way for the US to make more money off of us because people WILL just start buying more than one. If you think about all the things that are bought MOST OFTEN in the US, what do you think of? Sweets and soda are DEFINITELY on the list. America is just getting smart about it.
    "We know they will be more than one 16 oz. soda, so we're gonna make some money off of it."
    Meanwhile, the poor people (like me) will probably cease to drinking as much soda because I can only afford one.... so it KIND OF helps the poor people. :)