Bad mom......

Options

Replies

• tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear ya! You would think I have sprouted a second head when I tell people we don't have cable and don't watch "tv".

My child watches DVD's that I buy and approve of and only for a limited time. :noway:
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I had never had a TV but now I'm addicted and would need to go to Rehab or a 12 step program to stop. It's such a time waster but then again so is the computer.....hmmm maybe I should get help for both. Good for you for not starting your children on that habit that is so hard to break!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom with a daughter and I have two TV's in my house and I sometimes feel like a *kitten* for having them.

LOL....

I think we offer our kids more creative opportunities without TV always being around. I daily shut down the TV for hours at a time and find something else to do. I think it's healthy to have appropriate non TV time.
  • blittle2
    blittle2 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    WHAT?!?! I'm getting facial ticks and breaking out in sweats just thinking about not having a tv for my kids to sit in front of for countless hours of the day. You are terrible. I'm just kidding of course.

Although there are some good things to be watched, or videos or something that could be turned on but not having one does not make someone a bad parent, sheesh. I think the bad ones are the one's that just use it as a babysitter and don't interact or care what they are watching.
  • watergirlri
    watergirlri Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an idiot.

TV is 95% useless. The other 5% can easily be substituted with a book, newspaper or internet.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just left my friend's house yesterday. She has three girls between 4 and 11. No TV for them except on rare occasions. I was really proud of her for doing this. She doesn't want the crap on TV influencing how her kids act, what they wear, and what they should eat. Of course you can monitor what they watch, but it's much more difficult monitoring every commercial too.

I let my son watch T.V, mostly pre-recorded programs. It doesn't make either one of us a worse parent. Whoever said you were a bad mom is way out of line.
  • LaGordita87
    LaGordita87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think thats great! We went without a TV for a few months and it was nice we did more family stuff together, we do have a TV now but no cable so my kids only watch the PBS station (curious george, Zaboomafoo, sesame street etc) so at least when they do watch TV it has something educational in it but i usually limit it, they watch about an hour in the morning(makes it easier for me to get ready without them getting into stuff) and a little in the afternoon because my oldest loves Zaboomafoo and she seems to learn a lot about animals from it. The rest of the day the radio is on. I like having the TV but i was also completely happy when we didn't have it. Kids watch to much TV these days and most of it is just garbage like spongebob square pants(i absolutely hate that show lol)
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous. If you think your child's only means of learning some culture is through a television set, then you are the one with a child-rearing problem.

You're doing just fine! It definitely is unusual to not have a tv in the house, but it's not a must. God forbid your kids should read or go outdoors!:laugh:
  • britcurl
    britcurl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    We have a TV, but no cable and unless you have a converter (which we don't) you can't watch the free channels. Haven't missed it at all. If there is something I just really want to watch I get on Hulu.com. And my son has a few movies that he likes. Other than that, we will watch a movie once in a while. No problems so far!
  • michaelgilstrap
    michaelgilstrap Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Unusual is such a harsh word, rare maybe would be a better one. And yes, I have a tv in my bedroom, and I wish I didn't love it so much, but there are so many better options and I'm learning that little by little.

To me, this sounds like a loving and selfless act, and definitely not abuse.

The fact of the matter though, is most of us know that excessive tv watching or things like that are bad, and even if you're not telling someone their bad for having a tv, a lot of people will come under condemnation, because they feel like there's something wrong with them for not being able to live with out one, when you show it can be done. And we can either accept those lessons, or do what today's society has taught us to do, and that's villainize the person going against the flow and attack, so we don't have to feel bad.

To many words for me to say that I'm proud of the decision you have made for you and your kids.
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    I don't care if someone has a TV or doesn't, it doesn't make them a good or bad person. However, I do find it terribly ironic that so many of the comments are bashing on TV while they are on the internet which is far, far worse than TV will ever be. I'm all for the internet but the level of pure trash it contains is amazing and TV will never compare. Plus how many hours are spend on FB, Twitter, and even sites like this one? Things are only evil and out of hand if you let them be, its all about moderation.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Imagination is the greatest gift of mind. TV is not needed, it is not a babysitter, it is a distraction and a portal to laziness
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't care if someone has a TV or doesn't, it doesn't make them a good or bad person. However, I do find it terribly ironic that so many of the comments are bashing on TV while they are on the internet which is far, far worse than TV will ever be. I'm all for the internet but the level of pure trash it contains is amazing and TV will never compare. Plus how many hours are spend on FB, Twitter, and even sites like this one? Things are only evil and out of hand if you let them be, its all about moderation.

Entirely depends on what you do on it. I'd say it's the lesser of two evils, I need to engage my brain to use the internet, with tv I can just sit and stare.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I would think sticking your kids in front of a TV would be neglecting them. it's not weird to not have a TV. it's a choice, it's not something you NEED!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have a tv, you might as well just shoot me. I have to stick them in front of it to get anything done! Dinner would never be made and the laundry would never be done if Spongebob wasn't there to entertain them for an hour.
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Oh your poor kids!! NOT!!!! :laugh: Believe me if my husband didn't like sports so damn much I'd have thrown out the TV a long time ago. Nothing but crap...even the kids shows are not good. I really don't watch TV. I'd rather read a book or do some research on the internet or chat on the phone. Don't get me wrong I have been known to watch Nat Geo, History Channel, Discovery and, forgive me please, Bravo and the Housewives series' (although only maybe 1/2 doz times for Bravo). It's a personal choice as are alot of things in life so consider the source and tell them if you gave a *kitten* what they thought you'd have asked them for advice. They are YOUR kids and no one elses and I take great exception with people telling me I'm harming my kids by not letting them do things that other parents let their kids do. PLEASE!!! Give me a break. Opinions are like elbows pretty much everyone has them... and some people really think theirs' are the bomb. :huh:
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    We have a TV in the house. It is attached to a media server.......my wonderful techie husband set it up beautifully for us.

It does not get turned on during the day until 4:00pm so that I can make dinner in peace. Once dinner hits the table.....TV off.

I did not permit my children to watch TV until after they were 3 years old, because TV has deleterious effects on the brain development of very young children. They are now 11 and 8 years old.....with beautiful Montessori educations.

I do not permit my children to watch stations that have commercials. I download good programs onto the media server that have the commercials stripped out.....BBC, History, Science Channel, Mythbusters, etc. Or we watch a kid-appropriate movie.....not many out there, but there are a few gems.

Don't let that idiot woman put any doubt into your mind. You are doing a very wonderful thing for your children by limiting their exposure to TV.

BRAVO!!
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I own a TV but I don't pay for any kind of TV service and never have. I haven't had the net at my house for over a year either. :)
  • leika79
    leika79 Posts: 114
    Options
    i'll be honest, yes we have a tv and its often on even when we aren't watching it, i also have kids and there are certain times when said tv comes in useful to let me get on (cleaning cooking that sort of thing).
    but do we really need it in our house...... no!
    when the tv is off my children are calmer, better behaved, imaginative,creative,energetic and i feel more connected with them.
    so good for you, infact reading this back to myself i am deffinatly going to have a lot less tv time in our house :drinker:
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Unusual yes, but wonderful. Bad mother NO !!! Learning to use imagination if one of the best ways for children to learn critical thinking skills. I wish more mothers would provide such an experience for their children.