no more than 16oz soda nanny state or good thing?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    People who think people on food stamps can't afford healthy food have either never been on food stamps or have no idea how to grocery shop.
  • chamilton911
    Options
    Look at it like the regulations on smoking that came in years ago - new packaging requirements, new rules for selling to underage people, etc.

Since unhealthy choices affect the whole society in terms of productivity, health care costs, infrstructure costs(more hospitals, bigger seating etc) I think that these regulations come in from more the financial side than the "take away my freedom side".

Your personal choice to be unhealthy has huge cost to society in many ways. Government is just trying to mitigate some of the impacts by making it harder for people to be unhealthy - to save money and prevent the country from eating itself into a stupor.

Unhealthy people = unhealthy country.

I agree with this for the most part, but I think more regulation is not the answer. If the government is really concerned about health care costs (which they obviously are, as well as myself, for paying large premiums to my insurance company to pay for healthcare for those without insurance), instead of telling us what we can and cannot do, the government should be encouraging healthy foods; making organic cheaper and easier.

For example, going to Jack in the Box, you can get two junior bacon cheeseburgers and a medium drink for just over $3. That less than if I tried to buy two organic mangos at the store... this is what’s wrong. The fact that we can buy the burgers isn't the problem, it’s the fact that with the healthier options, you get less food for more money...

I agree with you on this. If the government wants to truly help, then how about not allowing cookies, snack cakes, soft drinks etc on food stamps? If they want assistance then give them healthier options and do not allow they to purchase such stuff on food stamps.
    People buy unhealthy foods with food stamps because they can't afford to buy healthy foods with food stamps. $100 in food stamps can buy a TON of processed food to keep a family of 4 fed, but won't go very far buying whole foods. It all comes back to the problem of government subsidizing the big crops, making corn and wheat ridiculously cheap, making it much cheaper to produce processed crap food. Imagine how healthy we would be as a nation if instead the government subsidized fruit, vegetables, and pasture raised livestock...

WRONG. $100 in FS will go tons farther by buying the ingredients for food and cooking from scratch. The problem is EDUCATION.

I don't disagree with you about the subsidies but I get sick to death of hearing about poor people making bad decisions and being treated like it's not their fault. Cooking your own food from scratch is cheaper and healthier. Every person can and should make their family's health a priority.

OMGosh! I so agree...my sister works for a food bank and has people come in all the time to get free food. She offers them rice, beans, etc. They turn it down because a) they do not know how to cook them and b) they do not want to know how to cook them.

My family is on food stamps. We manage to eat well and healthy without going hungry... but we do have to budget differently because for those of you who don't think buying healthier foods isn't more expensive- it is. Mostly because the ingredients used in certain items are more expensive to obtain & buying the ingredients to make something from scratch- is ALWAYS more expensive than buying a premade, frozen, $6 bag of fettucine alfredo. Just saying!
    & don't allow people to buy certain things on foodstamps???? REALLY? Am I less of a human than you are? No I'm not... Am I less of an AMERICAN than you are? No I am not. Because my family is not as wealthy as someone elses, we don't get to decide what we eat? You obviously have NO idea what is like to HAVE to be on foodstamps. People on foodstamps only make up a percentage of the population.. its not HELPING everyone. You have the freedom to decide what you want to eat. They don't give us foodstamps because we are making UNHEALTHY food choices. They give us foodstamps because without them, my family would go hungry because we pay out in BILLS more than we bring in JUST TO SURVIVE. I take great offense to that statement and I am sure a lot of other folks do too. It makes me EQUALLY as sick to sit here and read your conversation about poor people as if we are deaf and dumb and can't read what you are saying. You talk about us like we live in boxes. There is a difference between HOMELESS and POOR. I am of sound mind and am perfectly capable of making decisions for my family. We certainly don't need judgemental people pointing out problems with America's poor like they have ANY IDEA what its like to be there. You say you are sick of hearing poor people make bad decisions and never be blamed for it? Well I am sick of hearing people like you BLAME EVERYTHING on the poor people as if we are the only people who need to be "educated" and make better choices? You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Look at it like the regulations on smoking that came in years ago - new packaging requirements, new rules for selling to underage people, etc.

Since unhealthy choices affect the whole society in terms of productivity, health care costs, infrstructure costs(more hospitals, bigger seating etc) I think that these regulations come in from more the financial side than the "take away my freedom side".

Your personal choice to be unhealthy has huge cost to society in many ways. Government is just trying to mitigate some of the impacts by making it harder for people to be unhealthy - to save money and prevent the country from eating itself into a stupor.

I agree with this for the most part, but I think more regulation is not the answer. If the government is really concerned about health care costs (which they obviously are, as well as myself, for paying large premiums to my insurance company to pay for healthcare for those without insurance), instead of telling us what we can and cannot do, the government should be encouraging healthy foods; making organic cheaper and easier.

For example, going to Jack in the Box, you can get two junior bacon cheeseburgers and a medium drink for just over $3. That less than if I tried to buy two organic mangos at the store... this is what’s wrong. The fact that we can buy the burgers isn't the problem, it’s the fact that with the healthier options, you get less food for more money...

I agree with you on this. If the government wants to truly help, then how about not allowing cookies, snack cakes, soft drinks etc on food stamps? If they want assistance then give them healthier options and do not allow they to purchase such stuff on food stamps.
    People buy unhealthy foods with food stamps because they can't afford to buy healthy foods with food stamps. $100 in food stamps can buy a TON of processed food to keep a family of 4 fed, but won't go very far buying whole foods. It all comes back to the problem of government subsidizing the big crops, making corn and wheat ridiculously cheap, making it much cheaper to produce processed crap food. Imagine how healthy we would be as a nation if instead the government subsidized fruit, vegetables, and pasture raised livestock...

WRONG. $100 in FS will go tons farther by buying the ingredients for food and cooking from scratch. The problem is EDUCATION.

I don't disagree with you about the subsidies but I get sick to death of hearing about poor people making bad decisions and being treated like it's not their fault. Cooking your own food from scratch is cheaper and healthier. Every person can and should make their family's health a priority.

OMGosh! I so agree...my sister works for a food bank and has people come in all the time to get free food. She offers them rice, beans, etc. They turn it down because a) they do not know how to cook them and b) they do not want to know how to cook them.

My family is on food stamps. We manage to eat well without going hungry... but we do have to budget differently because for those of you who don't think buying healthier foods isn't more expensive- it is. Mostly because the ingredients used in certain items are more expensive to obtain & buying the ingredients to make something from scratch- is ALWAYS more expensive than buying a premade, frozen, $6 bag of fettucine alfredo. Just saying!

Depends how you view healthy of course but healthy foods are not more expensive. You may not be able to eat extravagant recipes but you can eat simple and healthy for less then junk foods. The fettucine alfredo can be fine to eat as long ate in a proper portion and add some veggies with it.
  • chamilton911
    Options

My family is on food stamps. We manage to eat well without going hungry... but we do have to budget differently because for those of you who don't think buying healthier foods isn't more expensive- it is. Mostly because the ingredients used in certain items are more expensive to obtain & buying the ingredients to make something from scratch- is ALWAYS more expensive than buying a premade, frozen, $6 bag of fettucine alfredo. Just saying!

Depends how you view healthy of course but healthy foods are not more expensive. You may not be able to eat extravagant recipes but you can eat simple and healthy for less then junk foods. The fettucine alfredo can be fine to eat as long ate in a proper portion and add some veggies with it.

Please do me a favor if you ever get a chance, go to the Dollar Tree where everything is ONE DOLLAR and find their selection of "healthier" food choices.
  • Rhea30
    Options

Please do me a favor if you ever get a chance, go to the Dollar Tree where everything is ONE DOLLAR and find their selection of "healthier" food choices.

I know what the 99 cent store has, which I believe is about the same as a Dollar Tree and they have loads of can beans, can veggies. You can pick up eggs there too but alot of a can goodies.
  • rml_16
    Options
    My vegetarian chili costs $17 to make and it yields 12 servings. If I used ground beef or even ground turkey instead of the very pricey fake meat and if I used green instead of red peppers and chopped my own onions instead of buying pre-chopped, I could probably make it for less than $10.

It's very healthy and filling. I buy dry beans in bulk and boil them instead of spending much more on canned or pre-packaged beans. I buy a lot of frozen fruit as it's cheaper and lasts longer than fresh and is actually better because it retains its nutrients. I have not found that my grocery bill is any more expensive when I buy healthy foods than when I buy junk. You just have to be willing to do more work.

I eat almonds nearly every day and they're a fraction of the cost if you buy them raw and roast them yourself.
  • chamilton911
    Options

I know what the 99 cent store has, which I believe is about the same as a Dollar Tree and they have loads of can beans, can veggies. You can pick up eggs there too but alot of a can goodies.

I am not talking about canned goods. I can get those for free.. and there have been times where we have had to. I am talking about whole grain breads, I can buy a loaf of regular white bread for a dollar... they don't sell ANYTHING whole grain- which if you have done research like I have, is what the "goverment" wants everyone to be eating. Its what is being called "healthier food choices". Its over 2 dollars where I am at. The Dollar Tree has limited options for milk- I have only ever seen Whole Milk, we drink 1% or less because that is considered "healthier food choices". The ONLY kind of cheeses sold at the Dollar tree are pastuerized... and they are ONE DOLLAR. C'mon, you can't live off green beans! It truly does make a difference in what you call "healthy".
  • rml_16
    Options
    You can bake a loaf of whole grain bread for less than $1.

(FYI, I am not on Food Stamps, but I do my best to cut my costs wherever I can, so I do know something about eating healthy for cheap.)
  • chamilton911
    Options
    My vegetarian chili costs $17 to make and it yields 12 servings. If I used ground beef or even ground turkey instead of the very pricey fake meat and if I used green instead of red peppers and chopped my own onions instead of buying pre-chopped, I could probably make it for less than $10.

It's very healthy and filling. I buy dry beans in bulk and boil them instead of spending much more on canned or pre-packaged beans. I buy a lot of frozen fruit as it's cheaper and lasts longer than fresh and is actually better because it retains its nutrients. I have not found that my grocery bill is any more expensive when I buy healthy foods than when I buy junk. You just have to be willing to do more work.

I eat almonds nearly every day and they're a fraction of the cost if you buy them raw and roast them yourself.

I am not talking about myself when I say all this, because like I said, my family eats healthy.. we just have to budget differently. When you are nickel and diming every thing you buy, no matter what it is, you tend to see a trend and see where less money is spent. Then it also depends on where you are from, prices are not the same from region to region. Granted, there is usually only less than a dollar in differences but that dollar adds up quickly when you only have 100 dollars to spend on groceries. I do not disagree that if you wanted to, you COULD make better food choices but that goes for EVERYONE. Not just people on foodstamps.
  • rml_16
    Options

I am not talking about myself when I say all this, because like I said, my family eats healthy.. we just have to budget differently. When you are nickel and diming every thing you buy, no matter what it is, you tend to see a trend and see where less money is spent. Then it also depends on where you are from, prices are not the same from region to region. Granted, there is usually only less than a dollar in differences but that dollar adds up quickly when you only have 100 dollars to spend on groceries. I do not disagree that if you wanted to, you COULD make better food choices but that goes for EVERYONE. Not just people on foodstamps.

Of course. It's just this argument that people who are on food stamps or on a budget can't afford to buy healthy food that gets me.

My parents were on food stamps for a while and never had trouble eating healthy. A friend of mine fed her family of five very healthy, complete meals every day on food stamps and had some to spare at the end of every month.
  • chamilton911
    Options

Of course. It's just this argument that people who are on food stamps or on a budget can't afford to buy healthy food that gets me.

My parents were on food stamps for a while and never had trouble eating healthy. A friend of mine fed her family of five very healthy, complete meals every day on food stamps and had some to spare at the end of every month.

Oh, I agree completely. We are a family of 4 and we choose to eat healthy foods. What I mean by budgeting differently, is that there are certain things we can't make or can't buy because we might not be able to afford it. But thats fine, we still eat. It just bothered me reading most of that conversation where people were saying the government needs to regulate what people on foodstamps buy... as if we are less capable of making our own choices than they are. What they don't know is that our states already regulate certain things. We can't buy anything pre-made or hot from the deli. We can only buy ingredients and cold products. It isn't anymore "poor peoples" fault that America is unhealthy than it is the rest of America.
  • Rhea30
    Options

I am not talking about canned goods. I can get those for free.. and there have been times where we have had to. I am talking about whole grain breads, I can buy a loaf of regular white bread for a dollar... they don't sell ANYTHING whole grain- which if you have done research like I have, is what the "goverment" wants everyone to be eating. Its what is being called "healthier food choices". Its over 2 dollars where I am at. The Dollar Tree has limited options for milk- I have only ever seen Whole Milk, we drink 1% or less because that is considered "healthier food choices". The ONLY kind of cheeses sold at the Dollar tree are pastuerized... and they are ONE DOLLAR. C'mon, you can't live off green beans! It truly does make a difference in what you call "healthy".

That's why I say it depends on how you view healthy. You don't have to eat just all whole grain foods or go to a health food store to be healthy. I think the thread is more talking about junk food anyways, sweets and snacks. Eating a balance meal is affordable and cheaper then buying a ton of cookies, sodas, etc in excess. You can have green beans as a snack or along the side with a meal but you can use beans as a main meal and rice, and nothing wrong with whole milk either, just cut the portion on it if its making that much of a difference calorie wise for you and your family and I hope their cheese is pasteurized. I would never eat anything that wasn't pasteurized. Overall I think we agree to be honest since you are in a sense stating options you do to eat better.
  • rml_16
    Options

Oh, I agree completely. We are a family of 4 and we choose to eat healthy foods. What I mean by budgeting differently, is that there are certain things we can't make or can't buy because we might not be able to afford it. But thats fine, we still eat. It just bothered me reading most of that conversation where people were saying the government needs to regulate what people on foodstamps buy... as if we are less capable of making our own choices than they are. What they don't know is that our states already regulate certain things. We can't buy anything pre-made or hot from the deli. We can only buy ingredients and cold products. It isn't anymore "poor peoples" fault that America is unhealthy than it is the rest of America.

I worked as a cashier in a grocery store for two years in college and I will say that you, my parents and my friend were the exceptions. A vast majority of people on food stamps don't choose healthy foods. But then, I think the vast majority of people in general don't either. I've been more and more noticing what people buy when I'm in line at the grocery store and sometimes there isn't anything but frozen waffles and pancakes and a lot of fatty meats in their carts with some Little Debbie snacks thrown in, no matter how they're paying.

Education seems to be needed in general. And not just "this is healthy and that isn't" because I think most people KNOW that already. They need to be taught how to cook healthy foods so they realize how good it can taste.
  • chamilton911
    Options

That's why I say it depends on how you view healthy. You don't have to eat just all whole grain foods or go to a health food store to be healthy. I think the thread is more talking about junk food anyways, sweets and snacks. Eating a balance meal is affordable and cheaper then buying a ton of cookies, sodas, etc in excess. You can have green beans as a snack or along the side with a meal but you can use beans as a main meal and rice, and nothing wrong with whole milk either, just cut the portion on it if its making that much of a difference calorie wise for you and your family and I hope their cheese is pasteurized. I would never eat anything that wasn't pasteurized. Overall I think we agree to be honest since you are in a sense stating options you do to eat better.

I do agree with most of what was being said. We manage to eat healthier... but some people don't. It was the blaming America's obesity on people with foodstamps that pissed me off. It isn't anymore poor people's fault than it is people with money. Regulating what people on foodstamps can buy is not going to help America with their overweight problem anymore than regulating the size of soft drinks will. It just seems like everyone is trying to point a finger at someone else. As if we are not all in the same big, fat, overweight boat. I think the problem is, everyone honestly just needs to worry about themselves and stop acting as if obese and poor people are not of sound mind ENOUGH to make their own choices and be fat and lazy if they want to. People gripe about having their freedoms taken away but their solution to that problem is "just take it out on the lower class. That way it does't effect me." & thats crap.
  • chamilton911
    Options

I worked as a cashier in a grocery store for two years in college and I will say that you, my parents and my friend were the exceptions. A vast majority of people on food stamps don't choose healthy foods. But then, I think the vast majority of people in general don't either. I've been more and more noticing what people buy when I'm in line at the grocery store and sometimes there isn't anything but frozen waffles and pancakes and a lot of fatty meats in their carts with some Little Debbie snacks thrown in, no matter how they're paying.

Education seems to be needed in general. And not just "this is healthy and that isn't" because I think most people KNOW that already. They need to be taught how to cook healthy foods so they realize how good it can taste.

I agree COMPLETELY with this. It is not right or fair to say it is one class of people and not the next. GENERALLY every American needs to be educated. Blaming the poor people won't solve anything.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options

There are a TON of resources for eating healthy on the cheap. One of the best examples I have found is poorgirleatswell.com
    She has even gone so far as to provide cost per serving for each recipe. Of course this cost is based on where and what she bought, but it illustrates that it CAN be done.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Once again, I say we take the restrictions and warning labels off everything and let nature take its course. If someone wants to drink 5 gallons of soda a day, they're going to find a way to do it until they die.
  • sfarrell1359
    sfarrell1359 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    They can buy 2 and make it 32 oz! If someone chooses to ingest a soda larger than 16 oz that is their choice. I thought this was the "land of the free"...seems more like the "land with some freedoms and others the goverment will control for you" :)

The next regulation will be that you can only by one per person than they can really control how much you are drinking.

It is so wrong. What if you have children and you buy one big soda to share? Or you share with your significant other? What if you drink half now and save the rest for the next day? And if you want to drink the whole thing, that is your right too. It is going to lead to more regulation to where they control everything you can put into your body.
  • Rhea30
    Options
    They can buy 2 and make it 32 oz! If someone chooses to ingest a soda larger than 16 oz that is their choice. I thought this was the "land of the free"...seems more like the "land with some freedoms and others the goverment will control for you" :)

The next regulation will be that you can only by one per person than they can really control how much you are drinking.

It is so wrong. What if you have children and you buy one big soda to share? Or you share with your significant other? What if you drink half now and save the rest for the next day? And if you want to drink the whole thing, that is your right too. It is going to lead to more regulation to where they control everything you can put into your body.

My husband and I like to order the big soda when we go to the movies and we share it. Its not hurting me anymore (and it wasn't to begin with, it was other types of food that put the weight on me plus from not exercising either )since I keep track of what I'm eating and even before when I was a soda-holic I was just drinking the diet stuff but now I drink the straight stuff and I have one now and then but its fine since my eating is balance. I can tell the foods that were degraded my health: pasta, peanut butter plus a mix of no activity and probably Doritos. That's what did it, not soda. Everyone is different to why they got out of shape so this regulating soda is straight out dumb.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    What do you think about this proposed new law in NY about not being able to sell/buy soda bigger than 16oz? good or bad?

I love it.

If it was easier to determine by looking who is overweight/obese, it could be done that way - if I'm running and in shape and want to drink 20oz of soda, fine. But obese/overweight people shouldn't be consuming the amount that they are.

So, since you can't do that, fit people will need to take a hit for the greater good.

I'm all for it.