Running for overweight people: yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k at 245 (i am 5' 11") last October- since then I have done 5 other 5Ks, a 10K, a Zombie Run and a Warrior Dash. My next run is a half marathon in 2 weeks and a Tough Mudder in October. In between are other 5 and 10Ks. My current weight is 223 with a body fat % of just under 27% (I lift a lot now)

I used C25K in conjunction with my personal trainers supplemental running program. I had joint pain for a while- when I did I took anti-inflammatories, used a soft knee brace and a couple of times dialed back on the running and walked just to keep some type of cardio up until my knee returned to normal.

One thing that helped a lot that my trainer told me was to NOT run on a treadmill or constantly on flat ground. The rythmic pounding does not give the joints a rest or different position to work from. Instead, and this was a killer in the beginning, she said to run varied terrain- up and down hills, through curves, etc as this changes the dynamic of the pounding that occurs on your joints.

My running partner was having a LOT of hip pain as she refused to train on anything but flat terrain (and the first 5k with 3 hills killed her). She started training on hills and voila- hip pain went away!
  • berkra
    berkra Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i started running c25k and liked the walking and running aspect to ease me into longer distances
    did a 10k following Jeff Galloway walk run philosophy May 2011
    First 1/2 dec 4 12 ~240lbs (time 2.49)
    2nd 1/2 Feb 26 ~235 (time 2:31)
    3rd 1/2 June 10 ~215 (time 2:21)

loosing weight ==> running gets easier ==> what a surprise
    used a knee brace on my right knee for a while as I noticed problems, but it was due to not being used to the running

IMPORTANT shoes get them fitted if they do not work for you go back with them, even if the store has a no return policy you a better of switching to a different model ( I know the all cost around $100 some more some less) think of it that you do ont buy the junk food anymore (money saved invested in the better you)

I added biking in January and MFP weight came of faster
    can't just exercise and not watch teh eating, that made a big change for me

With 18 month base off running between 20 and 60 miles a month I am making big improvements on speed
    ran my fastest 5k with 27:45 last week with a co-worker

add me, ask questions, other gave me a push when I needed it
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago I tried a running program like c25k (I weighed around 180 - 200 lbs) and had to give it up due to joint problems. It did help me lose weight but I decided that I was damaging my knees, ankles and the ligaments & tendons in my feet by pounding them too hard. Brisk walking burns almost as many calories but does a lot less damage.

I'm hoping to start c25k in the future but won't think of it til I'm well below 170lbs and then make (intentional) very slow progress through the program, hoping that my now-older body will adapt well enough.

Good luck if you decide to continue, you're a lot younger and may be able to handle it. I hope to join you around Christmas time, realistically!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd talk with your doctor. If you have existing knee troubles and are still significantly overweight, you may want to stop until you're able to lose a few more pounds. You don't want to re-aggravate an old injury and not be able to run or exercise at all!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'd say build up slowly. Walk, than job, than run. I have bum ankles, so running is out for me, but am an excellent walker.
  • clogston
    clogston Posts: 1
    Options
    While I can't provide any real answer to your question, I can say that I have struggled with the same dilemma. I have had some interest in starting C25K and tried the week 1 workout to see how my body would react. For me I felt like I could continue, but that it might be unhealthy to jump into a running plan. I am currently planning on continuing to diet and exercise and losing as much weight as I can, and possible adding running as a new exercise once I plateau. If you are really interested in running and enjoying it, I would suggest maybe slowing the plan down. Just because the plan is built to work in 9 weeks doesn't mean you can't customize it to your speed. If you take a month on week 5, that doesn't stop your progress it just delays it. You might just be pushing your body too hard, at too quick of a pace, your joints are showing the effects first. The problem is a week is not enough time for your body to fully "catch up" and by that time you are onto the next week and pushing your body further.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    IMO stop screwing around with cardio and work on heavy weight training and dietary modification for fat loss.

Weights build muscle, which burns higher levels of calories.

Excess bodyfat makes it easier to generate the energy required to lift and to build new muscle.

If you DON'T strength train, then instead of being fit when the weight comes off, you'll just be skinnyfat.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me no because he didn't want me to have problems with joint pain. I have a chronic case of tendonitis in one of my knees from a rugby injury years ago.
    Did I listen to my doc? Of course not. lol I just got a knee brace and made it work. Don't forget to ice! :D

I agree with you to a point. I am on sort of the light side to be in this conversation but I feel that if you listen to your body then you will be fine. You might only be able to run alittle bit, but try to gradually increase that time until you can run for awhile. Also if you don't feel confident enough to run, walk at a nice pace until you can start jogging and then build up to a run.

Good luck :smile:
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    I just finished C25K and i am 270 pounds.

I never had a problem running (jogging really) with this program. I feel better and better!!
  • my365challenge
    my365challenge Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am interested in people's HONEST opinions and/or experiences, good or bad, about running while still 100 pounds overweight. The reason I am asking, is that I am on Week 6 Day 2 of C25K running program and having concerns about how this is affecting my joints. I am currently 240 pounds and 5'7 tall. I started the program at 249 pounds. Now I have sort of a bum left knee, it's bothered me for years now but ironically it's not the knee giving me trouble - recently I have been having small shooting pains in my right knee. My right knee has NEVER bothered me before. Is this normal? I also have issues with my left ankle locking up sometimes when running. Nothing painful but weird feeling and goes away in a few minutes if I take it easy. Yes I have been fitted for running shoes, been running in them for 4 weeks now. They are very comfortable!

I've had great success with the program so far, it has definitely been a challenge but nothing I couldn't handle. I used to run back in highschool when I was fit and I loved it. I am starting to love it again! I really would like to finish this program but not to the detriment of my joints :brokenheart: Should I stop and wait until I get more weight off and then go back to the program? Or just keep truckin' seeing how I am over half way through the program with no serious problems? I really don't wish to have any serious problems down the road from running while so overweight. Prior to running I did walking w/inclines and elliptical for my cardio. I also do strength training on my days off from running.

Thank you and of course I will be discussing this with my doctor soon, I just wanted to see what you all thought. I get the sense that there are people here who are hesitant to say anything negative about very overweight people running. Well I want to hear it all! No opinions flamed please :smile:

I've found that when my knees were giving me a hard time, working out on a small trampoline (with or without hand weights) was easier on my knees than running, i was still able to build up a sweat very quickly while feeling it work my legs, thighs, and rear. i incorporated this into a weightloss program along with healthy eating that helped me achieve a weight loss of 67 lbs in 3 1/2 months (coupled with walking and water aerobics). As with anything, ask your doctor first! Good luck!
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm about 300 pounds and I run a couple of times a week. I have a knee brace on each knee and I went to a running store and made sure I bought some shoes that were well cushioned. Lately, I've been doing interval runs (alternating walking and running) on a treadmill without any pain.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    ask your DOCTOR...best answer
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I weigh 220 pounds and run 5k at least 3 times a week. I have good runners and listen to my body. Push yourself, listen to your body and I think its great that youre running! Oh and STRETCH!
  • Mishadijo
    Mishadijo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Nay !
    My perspective is to work on weight reduction first, and be very very gradual regarding ramping up exersize. I started at 130lbs overweight (305lbs) with a goal of 175lbs.

My doctor suggested to focus on the calories first and foremost to get the weight under control, then gradually blend in exersize as I feel my body can deal with it. Personally for me, I am targetting to begin my official exersize regime once I hit 275lbs (leaving me 100lbs to go). And i plan on being very gradual about it as i have damaged my joints / muscles before in pusing it too hard and too fast and it completely demotivated me.

One step at a time for me.
  • Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't do C25k. That's my advice.

Can you run being 100 lbs overweight? Sure you can. I just recommend you follow something like Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk program. Pick an interval to start, even if it is like 1 minute run, 1 minute walk, and repeat that for the distance you are trying to cover. C25k is a great program, but for us overweight folks it can push too fast, too quickly.

I'm still 100 lbs overweight, but have done 5k's, 10k's, and half marathons. Still doing run/walk intervals. Just take it easy and have fun. You will get fast once the weight keeps falling off, but for now the focus is to remain injury free.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I can't remember how much I weighed when I started c25k. I At least 40 pounds heavier than I am now. So probably around 210. But anyways, I have a friend who is doing the program, and she's heavier than you are. Are you stretching beforehand? If so, maybe you need to stretch more. However, that being said, you don't want to hurt yourself. Only you can be the judge of what you can handle.
  • zosia141
    zosia141 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Could be over training. Cut back a little where it doesn't hurt. Then increase gradually. And talk to your doc.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Yes! I started running at my all time highest 176! I haven't stopped. I weigh about 153-156 with water factored. I never had issues, but as I'm getting faster, I notice my form is changing and my ankles and knees will bother me at times DURING the run, never after. I suggest pacing yourself and be mindful of your stride/pace. I've only had muscle soreness after my runs, the next day, nothing a good stretch won't fix. Enjoy yourself. I run about 5x a week for at least 45 mins. :]
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You should be concerned! I lost 50 pounds and went down to 199-205 when after a simple Presidential Fitness Test I aggravated (understatement) heretofore unknown arthritis in my knees. I'm now dealing with osteoarthritis and have been ordered no running, stair climbing or any of the other things I got used to doing. Having to learn all new tricks and it's not fun.

Good news for me is that slowly the knee is healing. The doctor and physical therapist both told me that the quicker I can get the remaining excess weight off (about 80 more pounds) the better and that when that happens I should have no more knee pain; however, I'll never be able to run, jump, or climb again.

Our knees were not built for the abuse we put them through - even in normal weight people. Your intuition is telling you true. Listen and obey it!

-Debra (message me if you want more info)
  • biggergirlsrun2
    Options
    I started running when I was 265lbs (at 5'4") and completed my first half marathon at 220. I started off slow and I was incredibly sore for days after I would do my runs. Once my body started getting used to my training though, I wasn't nearly as sore. Icy Hot, ice showers, stretching, and vitamins were my best friends. Seriously.

That all being said, only YOU know what you can handle. If it's just twinges here and there during the start of your runs that go away, or if it's just soreness after a hard run, then I say power through it because that's usually just your muscles getting used to what you are doing. If it's pain that makes you need to stop running (whether mid-run or not) or that lasts for 3+ days and icing/heating/resting doesn't help, then you could be looking at a potential serious injury down the road.

All in all, listen to what your body is saying because you know it best and talk with your doctor.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :bigsmile: