Missing Pasta know of any replacements

Options

Replies

• harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Shiraki tofu noodles. Only 40 calories and tastes the same!! :) it absorbs any flavor you throw on it too.

Try it wil tomato sauce and meats alas with some garlic powder and oregano... Perfection <3
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I got a special peeler at the Asian grocery store. I took zucchinis and grated them into long spaghetti strands. When you have a great pasta sauce it tastes great!
  • godsoon
    godsoon Posts: 19
    Options
    I read somewhe you can make zuchini spaghett!!
  • afcgirl
    afcgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lots of misinformation on here about Atkins!

Atkins is NOT a no carb plan, Atkins recommends eating all sorts of veggies and lettuce even on induction, and then you can add other "good carbs" later on.

For the record, I have been low carbing for years now and I do not gain weight when I go off plan any faster than I did after doing weight watchers. Whenever you start eating unhealthy you will quickly gain water weight, it doesn't matter what method you were using to lose weight. It then comes off quickly when you start eating on plan again.

To the OP, I love cutting up zucchini in very thins strips like spaghetti and then I fry it in olive oil. When cooked, top with parm cheese and low carb spaghetti sauce. Very tasty, low carb and low calorie.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm sure someone else has mentioned it, but there is a product called "Dreamfield's Healthy Carb Living" pasta, which has a lower glycemic index due to the nature of the wheat and the amount of fiber. This **basically* means that your blood sugar wont spike from eating it like it would with traditional noodles. I actually like it better than proper pasta. It has a TON of fiber which I'm always struggling to get into my diet.

It is still a carb, and I'm cynic about packaging, so play it safe and just have a small portion. I find that about 3/4 of a cup (dried) is plenty. I measure it out, because I love pasta, and will eat all that I cook...
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with pasta. I LIVED on pasta for 6 months when I lived in Italy, and still dropped 40 lbs. Moderation, pay attention to your body, and use the pasta goodness for fuel!
  • wichamoon
    wichamoon Posts: 1
    Options
    I love pasta too. You should try Tofu Shirataki. They are tofu noodles and the are just like pasta. You can find them in the produce section. They are great and come in different types of pasta. They are low in fat and are about 20 cal per a serving I believe.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Kelp noodles and Shiritake noodles are great.
  • kristin1125
    kristin1125 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Tofu noodles - I just learned about them!
  • jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    shirataki noodles
  • eesmetana
    eesmetana Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been subbing quinoa in different dishes a lot lately, good for some recipes, not so much for others.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Spaghetti squash. Tons of online recipes:smile:

Be careful with this stuff...It gave my GF gas so bad we almost had to split up. Great stuff other then that.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Oodles of Noodles, only 89 calories per pack
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    speghitti squash Is my favorite. I also serve my currys over boiled cabbage. But I'll put meat sauce over just about any type of veggie. i.e. brocolli, zuchinni, eggplant etc.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash . . . Recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/ or you can just add whatever sauce to it you want.

I also enjoy Gluten Free pasta . . . http://www.deboles.com/ or brown rice pasta . . . http://www.lundberg.com/products/pasta.aspx

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eliminate it completely. Just have smaller portions and/or eat it less often.
  • trutlet
    trutlet Posts: 11
    Options
    We use zuchinni squash which is very plentiful and cheap. Use a juileene peeler to peel into little stips like spaghetti. I saute them in a pan with a little butter. Yummy..........my kids love it!
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    We tried the Shiritaki noodles and I can put up with them but my spouse can't. Google "Hungry Girlfredo" for a fun recipe using these noodles.

HG had another great pasta swap -- broccoli slaw. Google "Slaw and Order" for her dish using these... I love it and it's SUPER cheap!

If you simply can't give up that unique pasta texture and taste, check out this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/404465-dreamfields-pasta-calorie-speculation
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Why deny yourself of something that you love? It's all about moderation. Watch your portions and as long as it fits into your calories and macros it's all good.
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    This may seems stupid but how do you guys measure your pasta? 2 oz right? well is that 2 oz dry in a measuring cup or is that 2 oz after being cooked in a measuring cup. OR are you weighing it on a scale?