skipping breakfast..can't help it. Can you help me?

Options
1235»

Replies

• PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    I think the issue isn't so much with not eating breakfast, but with people who skip breakfast and then don't eat until lunch time and are ravenous by that point. Persnoally I am just not hungry in the morning, and eating within an hour of waking up usually ends with me having an upset stomach. I generally skip breakfast, but have a snack during my first work break, which is about three and a half hours after I wake up. For me, this is when I get hungry, so this is when I eat. As long as you're able to eat when you do get hungry, I don't see what the problem is.
  • angelaraedesigns
    angelaraedesigns Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    wow and dang! great posts from everybody and I'm taking bits here and there and following provided links here and there.
    and many comments made me laugh out loud, and some stung a little. truth hurts. but I did put myself out there, so it's ALL good.

My personal conclusion:
    I'm going to follow my gut. (ha ha...groan)

On days I know I'm going to need the energy, I do 'force' myself to nosh on a little something. Like a whole fruit (banana), or other complex carb/protein thingy. Just small.
    I notice when I do this, I have more energy at lunchtime and I'm hungrier, which as someone pointed out paves the path for a light dinner, which I find is best for my sleep and digestion. I wake up with a flatter tummy, which is ALWAYS good!

I have found that when I don't eat and continue the 'fast' because I don't feel hungry....my mood sometimes goes a bit blech.
    That's me....so I'm going to pay attention to that, because who wants to be around someone that's 'blech'! I don't!

That's my reason for 'forcing' myself to eat a little sumthin.

But days that it doesn't work, and all I really want is my americano and I'll figure somthing out for lunch, whenever that is.....it's cool too. I appreciate the input that said, "doesn't matter when you eat, keeping your net calories at the right level is all you need".......I just paraphrased that terribly....sorry.

Thanks again for all the input!:flowerforyou:
  • angelaraedesigns
    Options
    The studies showing this are not controlling net intake for the day. If skipping breakfast causes you to over-eat for the day then obviously this would cause weight gain and the individual would choose not to do this.

You're absolutely right about the thermogenesis part. So the sentence you highlighted is really the crux of the argument. People should do whatever works for them.

The epidemiology regarding breakfast is probably filled with confounders. But since it's there, it's not a bad idea for a someone who both skips breakfast and struggles to control their appetite to experiment with eating breakfast. Obviously if you're not overweight, then keep doing what you're doing.

THERE it is. I'm going to stop paraphrasing. I suck at it.
  • angelaraedesigns
    Options
    I "heart" these arguments! I'm on the side of the Intermittent Fasters.

We all eat BREAKFAST!!!! ITs just some of of delay breakfast ("breaking the fast") till later in the day..

Heres an article you can read about some of the myths people (cough! Dr. OZ) try to spread around..
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

awesome. love your reply.
  • angelaraedesigns
    Options
    is anybody else, finding it a little overwhelming to trust any studies. Almost like they pick an outcome, and then they wrap a 'study' around it to prove it true, to sell books, equipment, breakfast food etc.

anyway. I find it best to research as I see fit, and have time for, then test it out on myself. I'll prove the study true or false, thank you very much. (closet conspiracy theorist :grumble: )

however, and that's a BIG HOWEVER....i don't want to have to re-invent the wheel and I love a good shortcut!

So I'm looking for a 'twin' in the weight loss journey (see my post in the "introduction page").
    then I can limit the self-experiments, and just follow someone else, preferably blindly. (*snark)
    I will share what I find works too.....just sayin.
    I'm a giver like that.:flowerforyou:
  • acarter72
    acarter72 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you are functional without it, more power to you... me in the other hand I have to have my breakfast - never used to but once I made myself have it and it became a habit, I noticed the changes -- being more alert, being more functional... and I am almost sure it did kickstart my metabolism...

Agree. I am with you on this!! I have benefited with a daily breakfast but I guess it is everyone' choice here. I thrive on eating a healthy breakfast!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    is anybody else, finding it a little overwhelming to trust any studies. Almost like they pick an outcome, and then they wrap a 'study' around it to prove it true, to sell books, equipment, breakfast food etc.

I know the exact moment I stopped trusting studies. One month a fitness magazine I read published a study that said it is essential to eat something before a workout and the next month the same magazine published a study that said it's better to not eat before a workout.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Eat when your hungry. Not hungry? Don't eat. It won't hurt you.

Personally, I'm not all that hungry in the mornings, However I do eat a little something so that I'm not ravenous by lunch, but I generally don't eat it until I get to work, and that's a good 2 hours after I get up.

My husband and I go back and forth on this all the time. His family always ate full (1000 calorie, greasy, sugary) breakfasts. His mom and dad beat it into his head that this was the most important meal and that it was unhealthy not to eat it. That just isn't true. He and I are much healthier than his parents and we have tiny breakfasts, and sometimes skip it all together.