dropping body Fat - macros?

Options
1235»

Replies

• xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    I'm saying I would follow a scientific approach if my goal was to build muscle and look good. Since that is not my goal, showing a picture of me with my 13" biceps isn't going to make any difference.

Broscience may work for some, but if it turns out to be the optimal method than its likely by chance. Most people would probably see more optimal results if they followed an approach with more scientific backing.

This website isn't about impressing anyone, you shouldn't have insecurities about showing yourself because you feel not muscular enough or whatever the case may be...

All I'm trying to say is that you should look at both sides before you get defensive and discredit something. Like I said, I use science when necessary and broscience when proven. Plus, you're on MFP.... All this website is is 95% misinformation that's given out by people who have no clue what they're talking about and further damaging peoples health and goals. So if you want to have scientific theory discussions I think you're on the wrong website; this website is about half truths with a little bit of facts every now and then.
  • Drevious
    Drevious Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Totally do-able! Just replace your carbs with healthier whole grain choices. Have you tried quinoa? What about brown rice?

Also, I found that the right food combinations help:

Meat+ vegetables=YES
    OR
    Carbohydrates + vegetables=YES

Meat+Carbs=NO

No more meat and carbs together in the same meal!!! Don't pass this off as totally crazy. I have a nutritionist that I see once a month (an old Indian man that has been practicing for over 40 years). It may be hard at first but when you follow this rule, everything else gets easier!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I'm saying I would follow a scientific approach if my goal was to build muscle and look good. Since that is not my goal, showing a picture of me with my 13" biceps isn't going to make any difference.

Broscience may work for some, but if it turns out to be the optimal method than its likely by chance. Most people would probably see more optimal results if they followed an approach with more scientific backing.

This website isn't about impressing anyone, you shouldn't have insecurities about showing yourself because you feel not muscular enough or whatever the case may be...

All I'm trying to say is that you should look at both sides before you get defensive and discredit something. Like I said, I use science when necessary and broscience when proven. Plus, you're on MFP.... All this website is is 95% misinformation that's given out by people who have no clue what they're talking about and further damaging peoples health and goals. So if you want to have scientific theory discussions I think you're on the wrong website; this website is about half truths with a little bit of facts every now and then.

Its not about insecurities with the way I look, its simply about privacy. It just so happens my picture would be irrelevant to this discussion anyways because I couldn't use my picture to back up any particular claims.

Can't say I disagree with the 2nd paragraph other than simply I would try broscience if it was experimental and there wasn't enough research indicating either way as to whether it works. But if someone who is ripped says they swear by something and all the evidence says its false, I'm not going to take their advice.
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    Its not about insecurities with the way I look, its simply about privacy. It just so happens my picture would be irrelevant to this discussion anyways because I couldn't use my picture to back up any particular claims.

Can't say I disagree with the 2nd paragraph other than simply I would try broscience if it was experimental and there wasn't enough research indicating either way as to whether it works. But if someone who is ripped says they swear by something and all the evidence says its false, I'm not going to take their advice.

Come on now... Obviously if someone is making a claim and it's more than obvious to be false I'm not going to buy into what they say. Just like if someone in the fitness industry is sponsored by a company but also swears by their products, I don't take that at face value either because obviously they're trying to make money. I may come off as a jerk and a know-it-all myself, but I'm not gullible enough to believe nonsense. That's why I said i believe in proven broscience, I don't waste my time with most broscience out there unless there's some kind of factual backing or proven results from more than one source. Most people claim something to be broscience regardless, unless there's a link you can show them that scientifically backs your argument you're going to have someone call it broscience.
  • aalina_22
    aalina_22 Posts: 10
    Options
    You definitely need a diet plan when dropping body fat but don't overdo it and to lose body fat we must change our eating habits.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    This is the problem.....I can pick pretty much any claim I'd like to make and find a peer reviewed study that will support it.

That doesn't make it right. Yet so many people on here believe it

Fair enough. Most studies in nutrition are riddled with confounders. But what else do we have to go on?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You fail to grasp the concept of the burden of proof is on the claim maker, once you substantiate the point of contention by all means ask for evidence to the contrary

My bad should have said the original claim maker.
    Yeah, b/c recommending that someone get more sleep is so overly complicated. And who would want to tell people to eat healthier foods? Definitely recipes for failure in weight loss!

And are either a requirement for weight loss?
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    With that much protein you can actually develop a bone calcium deficiency when a diet like that is kept up for a long time (we just went over it in my nutrition class.). Just keep a heads up.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    With that much protein you can actually develop a bone calcium deficiency when a diet like that is kept up for a long time (we just went over it in my nutrition class.). Just keep a heads up.

High-Protein Weight Loss Diets and Purported Adverse Effects: Where is the Evidence? Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2004, 1:45-51 doi:10.1186/1550-2783-1-1-45
    http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45#B4
    Indeed, the recent study Dawson-Hughes et al. did not confirm the perception that increased dietary protein results in urinary calcium loss.[36] According to Dawson-Hughes et al., "Theconstellation of findings that meat supplements containing 55 g/d protein, when exchanged for carbohydrate did not significantlyincrease urinary calcium excretion and were associated withhigher levels of serum IGF-I and lower levels of the bone resorption marker, N-telopeptide, together with a lack of significant correlationof urinary N-telopeptide with urinary calcium excretion in thehigh protein group (in contrast to the low protein) point tothe possibility that higher meat intake may potentially improvebone mass in many older men and women."

Finally, the cross-cultural and population studies that showed a positive association between animal-protein intake and hip fracture risk did not consider other lifestyle or dietary factors that may protect or increase the risk of fracture.[35] It is of some interest that the author of the most cited paper favoring the earlier hypothesis that high-protein intake promotes osteoporosis no longer believes that protein is harmful to bone.[34] In fact, he concluded that the balance of the evidence seems to indicate the opposite.
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    i was looking on jillian michaels site and put in my statistics. the site put my ratios for macros at
    20% carbs
    50% protein
    30 fat

i tried today and ive got 400 calories under my daily intake and im already over carbs.....tough eh... didnt have potatoes or carb heavy veg eg parsnips etc

do these ratios look correct for dropping body fat? im lifting heavy weights 3-4 times a week so are the carbs at 20% do able?

what are your views?

I got that result too, have you had any success or have you altered it?
  • lorilynnschisler
    lorilynnschisler Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    How do I figure my ratios?
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    You're not going to win an argument with her bud. I won't even argue with her (partially because we're usually in agreement...and we both have similar outlooks on dieting as you do)...she's one of the more intelligent people I've come into contact with in 'all my years'.

This is one of those times where intelligence, experience, and reason say 'agree to disagree'...and walk the **** away.
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    bump
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DBB07
    DBB07 Posts: 40
    Options
    55% fat sounds like a recipe for disaster, I would think that if your going to follow a specific macro agenda you would want one thats sustainable. That much fat daily would be detrimental to your health in the long term.

That much fat is satiating and it's complete mythology that high fat, moderate protein, low carb diets are detrimental to cholesterol and blood pressure profiles. On the contrary, they result in the best cholesterol and blood pressure profiles. Fat is harmless in the absence of carbohydrates. Science is clear in that regard.

My gall bladder was removed 15 years ago and I have no trouble at all.

Unless you have gallbladder issues.

Since my gallbladder was removed, if I ate that much fat, I'd live on the toilet.