no more than 16oz soda nanny state or good thing?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• KdBeehsm
    KdBeehsm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. Let's see if I've got this right: You can choose to abort your unborn child, BUT cannot choose to purchase a big soda. Liberalism at its best..... (BTW - I don't drink soda):noway: :noway:
  • BamaGirl_Tricia
    BamaGirl_Tricia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think the government should have no control over what we eat/drink. I agree that there are alot of obese people in the U.S. but it should be their choice if they want to eat/drink it or not. Our freedom is being snatched out from under us and alot of people don't care. I am all for healthy no doubt or I wouldn't be on this site trying to lose weight but COME ON PEOPLE, WAKE UP and do something about it. By the way, don't complain about something the government does if you are not a registered voter and/or don't vote. Just saying...
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    I think its silly to have the government regulating us like kids! But on the other hand I understand the logic. After all, since health care is becoming more and more of a government responsibility then its logical that they have some authority to enforce healthy habits... I wonder whats next... Mandatory workouts ?? :happy: lol
    Its kind of following the parent principle. Mom and dad pay your dentist bill therefore they have the right to say "no candy," and "brush your teeth twice a day," when you are a kid. Now I pay my dentist bills and I decide how I will treat my teeth BUT if the government was paying my dentist bills then shouldnt they have some say in how I treat my teeth??
    So I blame all the people who want federal healthcare for laws like this.
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I agree with the concept of portion control but only to a certain extent. I don't think they need to create a MAXIMUM for what a soda size can be. But I think they should DEFINE what a SMALL SODA so to create consistency.

For example a "small" soda at the movie theater is 32oz but a small soda almost anywhere else is 12-16oz.. I think that's far more productive legislation.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    So, by regulating that one cannot have a large size sweet drink (it's actually sugary drinks--not just soda), they also cannot offer diet drinks or ice tea on tap (that's how we get most of ours here in OK, don't know how it is everywhere--but it's self serve mostly) in larger sizes because they can't control which you get in a cost effective way. But if NY is anything like OK, then they give welfare parents with children juice by the gallon--I think it's a gallon a week for a toddler. And small children shouldn't have any AT ALL. They should have fruit. This is how the government shows they can manage your life better than you can.

But they'll have to regulate more than soft drinks if we all get free healthcare! Every thing we do all day every day will be the government's business. And it will bankrupt us for them to do it. Nothing is free--especially government regulations. I say true freedom works. I say let people be responsible for their actions.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Look at all the people who are OK with this. They see an obesity problem and say, "Oh, hey! This can help fix that problem so let's do it!" And they don't see the bigger picture that this is NOT about obesity or health. It's about the government sticking its nose in our business where it DOES NOT BELONG. One issue at a time, the US is turning into a dictatorship because "we the people" are accepting it. It may take 100 years, but that's the direction we're going because of things like this.

life is about limits and controls. It is called a society. It is how we live togeather.
    [/quote]

How does limiting how big a serving of soda someone can have help us live together?

Laws against murder and robbery make sense. Your rights ends where mine begin. But someone drinking 16 oz of soda doesn't directly affect me.

And, yeah, I know the arguments about health and insurance costs, yada, yada, yada. But is regulating junk food going to stop people getting sick and dying? Um ... no. Sorry. We're all going to die and most of us will get sick first. That's just one of those things we have to deal with as a society, no matter what or how much people eat and drink.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I don't think the government should be able to regulate what people ingest.

It's easy enough to say that government shouldn't have a say in what you ingest but when you end up in the hospital because you're morbidly obese then essentially everyone else is paying for your bad decisions. Even if you live in the states and have private insurance the effect is the same. Every person that pays money to your insurance company is helping to pay your hospital fees.

I'm not saying regulate everything but there are definitely things that need improvement. It should start with education and labeling however, not restricting choice at the consumer level. I think some sort of "health tax" on unhealthy, processed foods might be a good idea. As it stands, there are just way too many cheap, unhealthy, food options.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't think the government should be able to regulate what people ingest.

It's easy enough to say that government shouldn't have a say in what you ingest but when you end up in the hospital because you're morbidly obese then essentially everyone else is paying for your bad decisions. Even if you live in the states and have private insurance the effect is the same. Every person that pays money to your insurance company is helping to pay your hospital fees.

I'm not saying regulate everything but there are definitely things that need improvement. It should start with education and labeling however, not restricting choice at the consumer level. I think some sort of "health tax" on unhealthy, processed foods might be a good idea. As it stands, there are just way too many cheap, unhealthy, food options.

What is healthy and what isn't when it comes to food is subjective, because of this there should not be a health tax or these type of regulations.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If keeping my liberty means a little higher insurance premiums, I'll take that trade.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I still can't figure out how cup size has anything to do with people's liberties...it's the merchants who are having the options reduced. You can drink as much soda as you want to...

I mean I guess technically corporations ARE citizens but still...seems a little extreme to get upset at the rules from a perspective of "liberty". Makes things like speech, religion, privacy, etc. seem less important if "right to a sugary drink in a gallon container" makes the list...

I can understand the argument from the "there are better things for the government to be doing" but then again, in today's political climate we're lucky to get ANYTHING passed with the amount of partisan crap taking its toll on the system...
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    We need a "like" button here on MFP!

LIKE!