Do you deprive yourself of...??

Options
Do you deprive yourself of all kinds of sweets and goodies all the time?? Or is it better to have occasionally in moderation even though I am trying to lose weight??

Replies

• tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aehcml2011
    Options
    i may not be the best person to get this information from, but I think you should budget your calorie intake and/or up the exercise for the week if you dont want to deprive yourself. I have a crap ton of weight to lose now, i had twins and got use to being pregnant, but when I was staying at a comfortable weight before, if i wanted a ginormous yummy chocolate waffle bowl from DQ, i would eat less thru out the day and walk before i would let myself go order one. I feel if you deprive yourself of it, its just going to make you want it that much more and then you'll get side tracked. Another thing you could do it split the deserts or whatever into 4 different servings. then you can enjoy it more than once. (Thats what I'm doing now).
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't deprive myself of anything. I do however, avoid bringing trigger foods into the house. I love (LOVE) chips of any type/flavor, so I don't have them in the house. But I will buy a vending machine size bag when the craving hits. Same with ice cream. I don't keep any at home, but if I really want it, I will go and get a scoop at the local ice cream shoppe.

For me, this is a lifestyle change and I refuse to give up my favorite foods. I've just learned to have a smaller portions less often. Took me years to figure that out though.... I'm a slow learner... :tongue:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Right now I am because I need to get off the addiction. But I allowed to have one off day and that will be Sunday. I wont go crazy, though....that would be counterproductive. Everything in moderation.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have it in moderation and make sure I'm still within my calorie goal. I don't do it every day but once in a while is ok to cure that craving. For example, just stared TOM and was craving chocolate in the worst way yesterday so I had 3 little dark chocolate mini eggs.

I maybe living a healthier lifestyle but I still need to have and enjoy life :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    For me, everything in moderation. I had a full size Snickers bar last week. It was awesome. I just made sure it fit into my calories for the day.

And I drink beer every weekend. Yep, delicious, cold, non-light beer, and I don't feel bad about it. I just get in a killer workout that day and make sure I'm well hydrated/eating right, and I'm good to go. Depriving yourself of the things you enjoy altogether is a really good way to quit later on down the line because it's not a sustainable lifestyle change.

If I want something bad enough, like pizza or Mexican food or whatever, I just make sure I'm putting in the work to give myself enough calories for it.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't deprive myself of anything. I do however, avoid bringing trigger foods into the house. I love (LOVE) chips of any type/flavor, so I don't have them in the house. But I will buy a vending machine size bag when the craving hits. Same with ice cream. I don't keep any at home, but if I really want it, I will go and get a scoop at the local ice cream shoppe.

For me, this is a lifestyle change and I refuse to give up my favorite foods. I've just learned to have a smaller portions less often. Took me years to figure that out though.... I'm a slow learner... :tongue:

That's what I do. I don't keep those things around the house, so it's not right there all the time, but if I've got a major craving, I make it happen.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If I have the calories, I eat the sweets. I love ice cream and frozen treats in the summer. I've also been craving cake a lot lately. The frozen treats are easy to balance - the cake, not so much. I usually save my cravings for cake for splurge days.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Do you deprive yourself of all kinds of sweets and goodies all the time?? Or is it better to have occasionally in moderation even though I am trying to lose weight??

I have to cut them out otherwise I just crave more.

Many people can have just a little, I wish I could do that, however, I find the continual cravings after a piece of choccie is just too much wasted energy, so I cut it out altogether.

After a few days I am not even thinking about it anymore.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    HELL NO! lol
    I just eat those things on a MUCH smaller scale than I used to :-)

I've tried restriction diets (atkins) and they worked really well and fast, but I would fall off and go NUTS on sweets.

Now I have sweets when I want - just as long as I have the cals for it!
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I also DO NOT deprive myself of anything....it's just all about moderation now for me!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am still working on that myself, I am the sort who tends to get hungry and reach for the unhealthy stuff after a workout and then spiral. I might have a day a week where I let myself have a pizza and a dessert, and then just small things occasionally in the week. I got myself a pot of smarties ice cream for if I want it tonight, no more pint size tubs for me. I am safe usually with 85% dark chocolate and don't tend to go overboard on that so I usually have that in my fridge. Fortunately, I don't crave fast food like burgers and fries, and it is rare for me to even have that once a year. Not big on savoury foods. It is the doughy sweet things that are a killer for me, in more ways than one, since they also bloat me badly.
  • veganpoler
    veganpoler Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I am the same way! I know which foods I just can't stop eating - and chips are my downfall, too!
  • Mewcenary
    Mewcenary Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If the word 'deprive' comes into it, there is something wrong with your healthy eating plan. You should never feel deprived of anything.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I don't eat junk...I might have a treat every few weeks....if I can control it, and not let myself get out of control. That is how I got & stayed fat in the first place. I will just have to wait and see how it goes!
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    I eat everything that I used to it, just not in massive quantities or every single day.

If I want some cherry pie, I am going to eat a slice of cherry pie.
  • HeatherNicoleMomOf4
    Options
    I do a bit i use to do a cheat day once a wk ,but now I hit one of my goals and figure out what i want and thats my treat.Like my next goal is 10 lbs away, and when i hit that my treat is going to be Skinny cow ice cream.
  • mmessinger0718
    mmessinger0718 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Never deprive yourself of anything! When you deprive yourself, you are building the craving even more so when you do finally give in you will binge! If you want a piece of chocolate, eat it. But eat 1 or 2 and not the entire bag. It's all about controlling the portions.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I eat things in moderation. I save sweets as occassional treats a few times a week. For example, last night I had a Snickers Bar. Yum! However, I prefer chocolate cake as my favorite "treat." If I crave during the middle of the week or a lower calorie day, I will eat a bowl of cocoa puffs with skim milk or a fudge pop.
  • amallia921
    amallia921 Posts: 51
    Options
    I am a chocolate addict. I try to avoid it. But when a carving comes, I eat just s tiny bit, enough to satisfy my craving and then I stay away again.