Low-Carb vs. Low-Fat Eating plans?

Options
Hey guys!! We've almost all done either a Low-Carb or Low-fat diet, and maybe currently are!! I've juggled between both of them, giving both of them trial periods, but I've never stuck with either. I need to though, so I want your opinions on which eating plan worked for you!!!

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I tried low-carb once many years ago, but I got kind of sick from it. I've had good results on a low-fat vegan diet.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Low carb for me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!! We've almost all done either a Low-Carb or Low-fat diet, and maybe currently are!! I've juggled between both of them, giving both of them trial periods, but I've never stuck with either. I need to though, so I want your opinions on which eating plan worked for you!!!

Why can't you do a moderate carb and fat diet, why does it have to be either or?
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Low carb has worked very well for me.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    40% protein, 40% carb and 20% fat got me thru the last 18 months with a 179lb loss.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    high protein, high carb, moderate fat.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Why can't you do a moderate carb and fat diet, why does it have to be either or?

This.

Carbs aren't the devil. They're a good energy source. Fat isn't the devil. It's good brain food. Work on eating whole foods in moderate portions rather than processed stuff. Eat more plant matter. Move a little. Drink enough water to make your pee almost clear. Eat enough to fuel your body, but not too much to make it store that fuel.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    make sure you still eat whole grains and PLENTY of fiber on a low carb diet, and healthy fats (think omega-3's, like in olive oil, nuts, salmon, flax, chia, avacado etc) on a low fat diet.. Whole grains are important for you digestive system and kidneys and fat is ABSOLUTELY essential for cell health and repair. Your body can not heal itself on a cellular level without healthy fats, and you also have to be careful with "low fat" foods because of the sodium and sugar content that they add to make up for the loss in taste. Moderation is always the best option, and eating a healthy balanced diet is the most sustainable.. good luck!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    We are all different in the lifestyle that we can stick to.

You are doing the right thing by experimenting with what YOU can live with for the rest of your life.

Personally, I do best with a high fat, moderate protein, low to moderate carb intake where I exclude grains, legumes and most dairy.

I can live with eating this way for the rest of my life and I am healthier for it.

Just do what works for YOU.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    make sure you still eat whole grains and PLENTY of fiber on a low carb diet
    Whole grains ? I guess your "low" and mine are different.
  • rpguru
    rpguru Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a great way to lose some fat in the short term, probably the best way, but it is no way to live long term. By low I mean 50 or less (google ketosis). Low fat can also work but is not likely to work as well as low carb for most people. That being said low fat diets are easy to live with and will not leave you as irritable and with more energy. There are pluses and minuses for both and ideally if you can lose weight and body fat % at your desired rate by just cutting calories that is probably a better way. Resort to these methods for plateaus or to get those last few percentage points of stubborn body fat off if necessary.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I do neither low carb or low fat. I stick somewhere in the middle, eating plenty of vegetables, fruits, seeds, fish, eggs, cheese, and some sweet potatoes and brown rice. I mostly avoid wheat and oats as they don't agree with me, and I don't have much milk, but I seem to be fine with other things so see no need to avoid it. I have around 50 carbs, 20 protein and 30 fat at the moment, giving me 115g of protein a day. I might at some point lower my carbs to 45, and up my protein, but I found myself often going over on carbs and lacking in energy when I tried to go lower with the amount of exercise I do.
  • stephconduit
    stephconduit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    why are people so scared of the word fat???? OBVIOUSLY i mean healthy fats. people need to realise how good they are for you.. Low carb and High fat is definitely the way to go. All the carbs you eat should be from natural sources such as fruit and vegetables
  • frillypantz
    frillypantz Posts: 134
    Options
    Just double up your protein intake, in doing so it will make you feel fuller therefore you will only eat about half the carbs/fat :)
  • indescribablesin
    Options
    Personally I try concentrating on eating mainly high-protein foods. If you're eating foods that are high in protein but still staying under your caloric goal, you can't eat all that many carbs/fats. :)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    .... Whole grains are important for you digestive system ...

Except that "whole grains" are just the latest ad campaign - you don't really think that they've changed their manufacturing process all of a sudden do you? Unless you get away from commercially "produced grains" and buy real whole grain and process it yourself, you're only getting processed junk. You don't need whole grains for your digestion, if you eat enough vegetables - carbs from leafy greens are nearly all fiber and a great souce of vitamins and minerals. Read the labels, compare the ingredients and realize that even that isn't completely true.

I agree with the poster who said try out different combinations - only you and your doc can determine what is best for healthy weight loss.
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    Balanced is always better.

If you try low carb, make SURE you drink PLENTY of water. The risk of a high protein diet is overloading the kidneys. Plenty of fluid flushes through, dilutes the blood and makes it a lot easier for the kidneys to handle the extra load.

The other thing is, with a low carb diet, when you add carbs back in, you will gain weight. You still have to watch calories.

Might as well start with a balanced diet and limited calories (use the "food" tab on this site, it's great)--and then stick with it.

JMHO
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    ooops
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    Just double up your protein intake, in doing so it will make you feel fuller therefore you will only eat about half the carbs/fat :)
    All websites with mutual support have their share of bad advice.

This would be one of those.

Make sure whatever advice you accept and decide to follow, you look it up on the web and make sure it isn't something that can hurt you--either on the short- or long-term.

Good luck, take care.

(Balanced diet always works. Decrease calories. Increase exercise--although you can lose without exercise--I did, 16 lb in 2 months.)
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I accept everyones opinions on this, balance is great, but for some people like me, the word moderation doesn`t come into it..Its for this reason i follow a Low Carb diet...

It works for me and i find it very easy to stick to.