would you not send a friend request

Options
124»

Replies

• Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Yes, most of my friends with a large friends list do not converse with me at all. I like to keep my list under 100.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends...If the person sends a request and their list is large...and I haven't seen them around then Yes...it matters. I am big on supporting pals...I have a climbing list but I take time out at least weekly if not daily to reach out and support.....My profile is private so many can't see how many I have until they become pals.... I don't request pals often...
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I look at everyone's friends list before I accept them. If I don't like someone on their friends list, I'm not their friend. They would have to delete that person for me to consider accepting again. I'm picky, I know.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I look at everyone's friends list before I accept them. If I don't like someone on their friends list, I'm not their friend. They would have to delete that person for me to consider accepting again. I'm picky, I know.
    This is a very smart thing to do Who doesn't do this?!

I export the candidate's friends list and load it to may specially designed Access database. Then, using special queries, I run a check against "unclean" members. This reveal whether there are any present in the friends list. Only then, will I consider adding them.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to peoples FL's...

I trim mine regularly. If I haven't talked to someone or they haven't commented on anything I've posted in a couple weeks I delete them. I have nothing against them. I've never deleted anyone because I didn't like them...I just delete people I don't talk to. I'd rather have a small but close friends list than a large one that I have to sift through to find people's posts that I want to read.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    While I like to keep my friends list rather small by some standards, it doesn't stop me from becoming friends with people with large lists whether they send the request or I do.

Two reasons why:

if they have a large following, they are probably awesome - I like awesome people

presents a challenge to me - if they have a ton of people posting on their profile and commenting on their status I have to bring my "A" game in order to show them how awesome I can be
  • cynrawr
    cynrawr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'd still send a request and make a later decision.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I have a fairly large list... people still request but they fail to read my profile which states certain things. :P I've had to decline even after I've sent messages to them about what I need to know... I'm am being more careful about who I friend because it hurts me when people post about liking to be skeletons or purging and such. I'm working up to being bold enough to delete those who are not real friends but who seem to be collecting. :P
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I pretty much accept everyone, but if I get no interaction after a week, I'm more apt to drop the person with a large FL. Mostly, because it seems like a collection effort by them and not that they actually wanted to get to know me.

I have a large FL, I don't see it as a collection effort, I genuinely like to encourage people. What does get to me though is the people who want you to be their friend and encourage them in their joourney, but they do not recipricate and are all take and no give, like some on my FL.

^ this definitely.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    A large friend's list alone is not a particular concern. It's just a piece of the puzzle.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Some people on here and clearly friends collectors. What's the point, you can't possibly keep up with 300 people, I've only got 80 friends and wouldn't really want muxh more.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I export the candidate's friends list and load it to may specially designed Access database. Then, using special queries, I run a check against "unclean" members. This reveal whether there are any present in the friends list. Only then, will I consider adding them.
    [/quote]

Ummm.... what?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Some people on here and clearly friends collectors. What's the point, you can't possibly keep up with 300 people, I've only got 80 friends and wouldn't really want muxh more.

Who's to say you have to keep up with all 300 (or more)? Just like in real life, there's varying levels of friends and acquaintances. I pretty much will add anyone who sends a request, and only delete if they're inactive for more than three weeks, if they're MLM spammers, or if they're creepy or douchey. Other than long-time, regular members, I don't know a thing about anyone on here, so I can't say if someone is going to be a friend or acquaintance or nothing at all.

Over the course of time, there's some I become closer to than others. If there's some kind of common bond, we'll connect on another level. Just like ... (wait for it) ... in real life. Sending a FR to a stranger online isn't like some kind of social contract. We're not duty-bound to keep track of, support and encourage each other. If I happen to see a status or post from someone who accomplished something amazing, said something funny, or need a pick me up, I'll say something. I'm sure I miss some important posts, because while this is a social outlet for me, it's not my only social outlet.

But I don't think visiting each and every friend's page and posting a generic "wtg" on a food or exercise diary makes someone a "good friend."