Help I like to drink!

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    My trainer guy insists it takes 72 hours after drinking alcohol to get back to maximum fat burning rates. I've never read that anywhere else but the one woman who loves beer is the only one not losing weight after a year in our group.

I don't think beer is her problem, unless she's going over her calories by drinking on a regular basis and not making up for it. I love beer. Hell, I work for a beer distributor. Beer is my business, and I drink it often. And I haven't had one bit of a problem losing weight.

If she has a tendency towards sugar sensitivity, it can really halt her progress. Not diabetes or pre-diabetes, but just sugar sensitivity. That's why beer so greatly effects my weight loss. I was sugar sensitive then I went to pre-diabetes, then diabetes, now I'm at diet controlled diabetic (which is basically back to sugar sensitivity if that makes sense).

Right, but that's a whoooole different issue. That would be something individual to that person, not like a general rule for everyone. And I don't believe the whole 72 hours thing whatsoever because I drink alcohol almost every day--by that logic I'd probably not have lost a pound.

Everybody's different, but generally speaking, unless you have some sort of medical issue or sensitivity, burn more than you consume, make sure you're eating right and staying well hydrated, and enjoy your booze.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Work out a little extra the day before and the day after you know you're going out. Make sure to have a glass of water between each drink. You'll have to play around with your numbers and habits and find a situation that works for you. Last year I lost twenty pounds and never stopped drinking or eating things I loved. I just found ways to enjoy those things while sticking within my calorie goals.
  • Neconilis
    Neconilis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Would you rather eat your calories or drink them? That's honestly the question you have to answer, and if you decide on 'drink' you still can't do that everyday as you need other nutrition.

I know this problem well as I go out to the bar at least once a week and on those days I save up throughout my day so I can have beer, but since even a Bud Light is 146 a pint I still only wind up with 3 beers and possibly a shot. After that I drain Diet Coke and water which honestly I've become used to as I am 100% sober by the time I get behind the wheel, it saves me money, and I'm less likely to eat something that sounds like a good choice when I'm drunk. Admittedly, the guys at the bar give me **** sometimes about switching to the Diet Coke, but they're just ribbing me as overall they're supportive and know what I'm trying to do. I'd have to imagine your friends would be the same, and if your friends aren't supportive I would question if they're truly your 'friends'.

I wish I could offer more advice, or some sort of magic panacea, but there isn't; you have to look at your calories and make choices as to how to use them. It is very hard, especially starting out, but once you get in the routine of staying within your calories you'll get used to it. Good luck and I'm sure you'll start doing great in no time.

P.S.: This site, http://getdrunknotfat.com/ , is invaluable to me when I'm drinking new stuff.
  • marketing13
    Options
    Girl - I hear you. I said from the get go I wasn't giving up my booze. As it turns out, even staying within my cal zone, I didn't lose any weight. I used to be able to stop eating bread and lose 10lbs in 2 weeks. Those days are gone. Even eating and drinking 1,000 cals a day, I didn't lose weight. For me, it slows my metabolism down too much. Might be a combo of age too. Here's some ideas for drinks:
    1. If at home, crystal light now makes mocktails. They are fantastic. I'm a tequila girl at heart. Get silver (clear) tequila. It has less cals cuase it has less sugar. Mix it up and you've just made a skinny rita. For what you get at the mexican joint, you can have enough to be stupid drunk. Here's the #'s: Last night I had 24 oz of rita's for 500 Cals - made at home with 2 oz tequila 138 cal.
    2. If you drink out. Try using club soda or seltzer (NOT TONIC) and add a splash of juice for flavor.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Now I want beer. Thanks.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Now I want beer. Thanks.

Let's have a drink.... It's almost lunch time!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    My trainer guy insists it takes 72 hours after drinking alcohol to get back to maximum fat burning rates. I've never read that anywhere else but the one woman who loves beer is the only one not losing weight after a year in our group.

I swear the ONE glass of wine I had last night is responsible for how my abs look today (where are they?). I was having all this great progress too. Dammit I love to drink too and to make matters worse I'm going out with friends tonight.....curses.
  • martinevagnier
    martinevagnier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried for years to drink and lose weight. Ultimately, when I weighed over 200# and actually stopped eating and only drank white wine, I kept gaining weight. All that sugar did me in! I realized I liked my wine way too much. I got help and quit drinking. It was amazing how fast the weight came off. In addition to stopping drinking, I ate just raw veggies, lean proteins, low fat dressing on my salads and no flour products or processed foods. From April 20, 2011-August I dropped over 50#. I have since gained some back (if you see my profile) and am losing again now. I only gained back 10 so it's not out of control. It sucks but alcohol is the devil for losing weight. My life has gotten so much better since I quit drinking as well. I feel better, healthier, no hangovers, etc. Good luck!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Now I want beer. Thanks.

Let's have a drink.... It's almost lunch time!

I intend to leave work early and guzzle some wine and delete a bunch of facebook friends. I'm high with power ;-P
  • rocketqueen81
    Options
    I like to drink too. And I still drink. In fact, I have a glass of red wine almost every night, and on the weekends I drink beer. Not light beer either.

So, what I do, is work out like a beast so I have extra calories for my delicious booze! I make sure on weekdays I have a decent amount of cals leftover, kind of like "stockpiling" my extra calories, and then I get in really intense workouts on the weekend so I have some wiggle room for beer or cocktails or whatever. I also make sure I'm eating right and staying well hydrated...haven't had much of a problem losing with this approach!

I agree totally! I was worried that my love of partying would be a problem with my weightloss too, but it hasn't. I'm sure I would have lost more if I cut it out altogether, but I have no intention of doing that, and I want to keep the weight off with a plan I will maintain. I will not maintain without my wine and beer!

You don't have to give up all you enjoy, just tweak it. If you're going out for drinks, eat a lower calorie meal than you normally would to even it out. And work out more to "earn" the drinks! Sometimes this can get a little discouraging, like "OMG I just worked my a** off to burn 400 calories, and I only "earned" myself 4 beers!?!? " But it helps keep me more aware of how and why I gained in the first place, and what I need to do to keep losing.

And sometimes I think it's totally ok to "cheat" occasionally. I know I will be doing alot of activity this weekend, so I don't feel bad having fun tonight (Tijuana Flats from dinner and high calorie yummy beers at a craft beer bar!)

13784785.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    What's more important? Losing weight or having a drink or two? Drinking too often will really slow you down. It's cool to have the occasional drink, and when I do it's usually a clear liquor like vodka or rum with diet ginger ale. A healthy lifestyle is so much more important than drinking though!
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I like to drink too. And I still drink. In fact, I have a glass of red wine almost every night, and on the weekends I drink beer. Not light beer either.

So, what I do, is work out like a beast so I have extra calories for my delicious booze! I make sure on weekdays I have a decent amount of cals leftover, kind of like "stockpiling" my extra calories, and then I get in really intense workouts on the weekend so I have some wiggle room for beer or cocktails or whatever. I also make sure I'm eating right and staying well hydrated...haven't had much of a problem losing with this approach!

^^this. Commit to counting calories, if you want that drink, make it work...you just gotta work(out) for it.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I say cut it down to once or twice a month instead of every thursday. Every other thursday maybe just have 1 drink or offer to be the DD.

On the Thursdays that you do drink hit the gym and eat really really healthy and light (no too light since you're drinking!) for the day so you have calories to spare. You can also, if you go over on Thursday, work in a workout Wednesday and/or Friday and not eat back those calories since you will be using them on Thursday.

Oh, and PS, skip the bar snacks and food if possible.

I like cake. I know I'd lose more weight w/out cake, but I don't want to be skinny and sad and cake free. I want to be healthy and still enjoy some cake.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Alcohol lowers your will power and increases your carb/sugar cravings. So EVERYTHING tastes great when you drink!! Do yourself a favor and ditch the drinks for a little while. Then after you get your eating under control, maybe have one or two every Friday night. But include that in your days calorie allotment or plan for a cheat that day.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

QFT! I average one beer a night, and manage to lose, and on weekends I may have 3-5. I just burn to EARN!

Agreed. I aim to stay under my weekly calorie goal and I stockpile my exercise calories for the weekend fun =). If you deprive yourself, what is going to happen when you have lost the weight and come off the diet? Need to learn what you can handle and how to handle it.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I used to have 1-2 drinks on most nights (usually 1, but sometimes 2). Lately, and not even deliberately, I find myself drinking a lot less. I might have half a glass of wine with dinner, and maybe a half a shot of Bailey's in a cup of decaf coffee (or a kamikaze, or a margerita) maybe 3 nights a week.

And yes, I'm losing more now that I've cut down.

Someone said earlier that alcohol lowers inhibitions about eating other things you shouldn't eat, and man is that true! 'Tis a slippery slope... a slippery slope, indeed...
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Captain Morgan and Diet Coke...... 60 calories of greatness!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    quit drinking till you have your *kitten* sorted out.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    oh lordy, how i miss my margaritas!!! i haven't had one since new years.

i could use one today too.

Me too - but I would rather chew my calories than drink most of them.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    gonna have to sacrifice the booze for a while. then you can drink occasionally in moderation :-)