Meals Under 500 Calories

Options

Replies

• LHG776
    LHG776 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    During the week I will make a sandwich with smoked turkey breast (2oz), Sara Lee 45 cal wheat bread, mustard and swiss cheese, and eat half one day with a Soup in Hand like Chicken & Stars (70 cal), then eat the other half with soup again the next day. The sandwich is 125 cal plus the soup equals 195 for lunch and I'm full till snack time around 3:00.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well I think it's a great idea for a thread.
    There are thousands of us trying to eat 200-400 (max) calorie meals 3 times a days so I am definitely interested in reading everyone else's ideas.
    I do tend to eat the same things a lot, but that's because I ENJOY doing it, not because I have to, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    Thanks for kicking this off OP - I'll keep checking back for inspiration :flowerforyou:
  • TheSlimWithin
    Options
    My Lunch: 201 calories total

Daisy Brand - Low Fat Cottage Cheese 2% Small Curd, 1/2 cup (113.5g) 90cal
    Cherry Tomatoes - Fresh, 5 tomato 20 cal
    Cucumber - Peeled, raw, 0.75 cup, sliced 11 cal
    Jell-O (Jello) - Sugar Free Low Calorie Lemon-Lime Gelatin, 1 snack cup 10 cal
    Kroger String Cheese - Low Moistrue Part Skim Mozzarella Twists, 1 piece 70 cal

And that keeps you satisfied for how long until the gnawing in your stomach starts? And not how long by drowning it with water to make it longer.

Bit of unnecessary aggression from this post but okay. They seem satisfied from it and it looks nice and nutritious anyway, so I don't really understand the problem here.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I can make a full roast dinner for about 500, pastas are the worst and rice, stopped eating both as dont get enough to feed a sparrow and theres like 400 without any sauce lol. adding salad to any meat etc keeps the cals lower.Wish I could buy some low cal cakes from coffee shops though.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    One of our favorite low cal dinners is a small pork chop grilled or pan fried (using spray olive oil) about 120 -140 calories. Mashed potatoes made with skim milk and onion salt (35 calories/cup) and Margaret Holmes seasoned collard greens (30 calories/ 0.5 cup) I can eat a ton for less than 300 calories. Get protein, fiber, and potassium. A good Southern meal.
  • 6566tess
    6566tess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    today I ate vanilla 0% greek yogurt from Trader Joes with Mixed frozen berries (super filling and yummy)
    roasted red pepper hummus and mixed fresh veges (carrots, broc and cauliflower)
    green tea
    248 calories

This is not a typical lunch but something new I tried today because I went to Trader Joes for the first time

I regularly eat
    multigrain sandwich thins with a Morningstar Farms - Chicken Patty
    piece of fruit

Breakfast
    Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Patties - Fully Cooked, 1 Patties
    Thomas' - English Muffin - 100 Calories, 1 Muffin
    160 calories
    add a fried egg if you like (add 70 calories)

yogurt
    and a cheese stick
    coffee
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

And that keeps you satisfied for how long until the gnawing in your stomach starts? And not how long by drowning it with water to make it longer.

Bit of unnecessary aggression from this post but okay. They seem satisfied from it and it looks nice and nutritious anyway, so I don't really understand the problem here.

No problem, there was no insight if it actually satisfied them. Or was this part of 6 equal meals a day, or where was it in the scheme of things so others could appreciate how 200 cal lunch might help them with extra needed info.
  • chickenrider
    Options
    I have found there are alot of 'free foods' and that using the spray butter, like I can't believe it's not butter really helps on the calories.

If you take a cup of broccoli pieces and spray them with that about 2 or 3 times then pop them in the microwave that is only 54 calories in all and with a bottle of water that is a good snack!
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can make a great Mediterranean type sandwich for under 500 calories: bread (take your pick -- french rolls, regular wheat bread, a pita), chicken, 2 tbs hummus, feta cheese, and veggies (cucumbers, bell pepper, tomatoes). I eat this often for lunch. Calorie count will depend on how much of everything you load up, but if you stick to one serving of each, you are easily under 500.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

What a horrible thing to say, why be so mean?!

Why is it horrible, that is an exact quote from another thread with someone talking about how their lunch left them in 2hrs.

I was curious about the context around it, since it was rather slim on details of how this 200 cal lunch fit into the scheme of things.

Wouldn't that really be the most helpful to the most people, if it looks good, how long did it satisfy her (and she answered with 3 hrs so far so that's great!) so others know what to expect or plan on.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For 500 calories you have a ton of choices. Any baked, grilled, or broiled fish, chicken breast, even lean beef will be under 200 calories. Throw in some roasted vegetables (or cooked anyway without butter) and a salad and your good to go for under 400 calories.

For breakfast you can't beat oatmeal (real, non instant), cinnamon, and 2 egg whites. Once cooked add a 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (they'll thaw in a minute in the hot oatmeal) and you have a very hearty breakfast for 212 calories.
  • chickenrider
    Options
    One of our favorite low cal dinners is a small pork chop grilled or pan fried (using spray olive oil) about 120 -140 calories. Mashed potatoes made with skim milk and onion salt (35 calories/cup) and Margaret Holmes seasoned collard greens (30 calories/ 0.5 cup) I can eat a ton for less than 300 calories. Get protein, fiber, and potassium. A good Southern meal.

This sounds great! I would replace the mashed potato with mashed cauliflower :) And being from Texas I love a good Southern meal!
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    458117_10150909307681033_1541770521_o.jpg

Not much protein there.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options

This is exactly why I left this site before. I have lost 72 pounds so far and I enjoy the tools on this site, but sometimes the attitudes do not mesh well. I just figured we could all bounce ideas off of one another.

Feel free to join my group- I made it because the forums get so ugly. I rarely participate anymore. It's called the Positive Place. Here's the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6100-the-positive-place
  • Hyacinthgirl
    Hyacinthgirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to include a picture of my meal, but for lunch yesterday I had:

15 tbsp Egg Beaters (almost 1 cup) ~ 125 calories
    5oz Nature Sweet Cherubs ~ 48 cals
    1 Laughing Cow Light Swiss wedge ~ 35 cals
    8 oz Baby portabellas ~ 56 cals
    2 cups baby spinach ~ 20 cals

For 282 total calories. I cooked the mushrooms and melted the wedge of cheese into them. It was a TON of eggs and it kept me full forever. Of course, when my meals are around 300 calories I get to eat often, so I don't care if there's that "gnawing" in my stomach :p

I go really, really heavy on the lower calorie [real] food like Spring Mix/Lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc.
    Late in the day, I try to avoid cheese (as much as I love it) and bread because they tend to leave me hungry for more and nighttime is when I often overeat.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Low carb x 1 = 80 cals
    3 oz grilled chicken = 110 cals
    4 tbsp salsa = 40 cals
    sargento reduced fat 4 cheese mexican 0.5 serving = 40 cals

Total: 270 calories of yummy chicken quesadilla/wrap with enough fibre to stave hunger and pretty low carb
  • erinmshafer
    Options
    I found this link a while ago and I love it for ideas.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/weightloss/2010-01-03-diet-menus-recipes_N.htm

That said, I'll add a few things that are favorites or variations of their suggestions.

A cup of Aldi's Get Balance cereal (off-brand Kashi, much cheaper), a cup of grapes, and a cup of skim milk =351 calories The cereal is high protein and high fiber so you stay full. Feel free to try different fruits if you like.

Half a can of turkey chili, 1 1/2 c chopped broccoli, an ounce of corn chips or tortilla chips and 2 tablespoons or shredded cheddar cheese. I don't have the calorie total handy, it's around 400.

Take a medium tortilla and put it between two damp paper towels. Microwave it for 90 seconds. It'll get kinda crispy. Add 2 tablesppons pizza sauce, 2 tablespoons mozzarella, a little parmesean, and 6 or so slices turkey pepperoni. Mircrowave a little longer to melt the cheese. Eat a salad with it. The pizza by itself is only about 250 calories.
  • shewolfh2
    shewolfh2 Posts: 11
    Options
    Potatoes - Scalloped, home-prepared with butter, 1 cup 211 calories
    Diet Mtn Dew - 20oz, 20 oz + 10 calories
    Cat Fish Baked, 2 Small Filet + 160 calories
    371 calories

perfectly satisfied for several hours after...
  • annadunn12
    annadunn12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lunch was Tuna salad (made with: 2 oz canned tuna, 1 oz. chobani plain yogurt, 1 T sweet relish, 0.2c diced red onion, o.25c chopped tomatoes, half an apple) and 1 slice whole grain toast (wheat, rye, pump or whatever your favorite is) - 250 calories total

Sounds lovely, I'll have to try this. Thanks for sharing :-)
  • shewolfh2
    shewolfh2 Posts: 11
    Options
    ~~QUOTE:

END QUOTE~~

What was mean about that question? I personally thought it was a valid question. I prefer meals that will keep me feeling full without having to drink glass after glass of water to hush up the tummy rumbles...especially with the job that I do. I do not think anything disrespectful was meant in that post, rather that it was a poorly phrased question.