Birth Control Options

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    As for those mentioning the pull out method, ever heard of pre-come? Not to be crude, but look it up!

The rhythm method has similar problems with the pull out method, for those using that. Your body may switch things around on you without warning! Now, if it's not a tragedy should you become pregnant, these methods are fine. But if your health, social, or economic status is such that an unplanned pregnancy will devastate you, do not rely on these methods!
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Options
    I have the Implanon and I HATE it. For about 6 months, I had no period at all, but now it's extremely unpredictable - I'll have a horribly heavy one for 3 weeks, nothing for a month, a light one for 4 days, a heavy one for a week, etc... I never ever know what to expect so I just have to always be prepared. Also, before my Implanon, I NEVER had acne. Really. But now, it's all over my chest and my back - disgusting! To make matters even worse, it's made my hair start to fall out (I'm only 21). It's thinned out considerably; even my hair dresser noticed. Definitely going to look at different methods ASAP.

So basically, stay away from Implanon!!

yikes!! thanks for your post. thats sounds extremely sucky

I've had Implanon for two years now - I'm 22 and I've never had any problems with it. No weight gain (that wasn't to do with food), and my periods are light and regular. Implanon has been absolutely perfect for me, except for the pain on putting it in.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I've been on different types of the pill for a few years now. I haven't had any weight gain that wasn't due to my own faults. It messed with your hormones so you may feel hunger but you just control what you eat and when. I don't believe the pill itself will just magically make fat appear on your body.

I love the pill. It regulates everything and has made the cramps much much more bareable.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Stick with oral and anal! :drinker: In that order of course :noway:
  • YennaBean
    YennaBean Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is a tough question, because for me hormones seriously mess my body up. I JUST got done with a 6 month long menstrual period from Depo Provera (the shot). Yes, I was bleeding non stop for 6 months. Bad acne, mood swings, it was the worst. The only pill I loved was Yasmin. But now days apparently there is a ton of lawsuits against them for death and injuries. If I HAD to choose a birth control, it would be Paragard. It's hormone free and lasts up to ten years! Of course having something sitting in your hoohaw for a long time is kind of weird. But that's what I would choose if I had to!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

that's sound advice right there.
  • kristalfrissy
    kristalfrissy Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I was a little nervous when I saw that you had replied to this thread!! lol

I'm glad you specified in that order! I'm a little freaky--but not THAT freaky! haha
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Personally I would speak with your gyno about what options there are for you since they can take into consideration your history with one method, your medical history in general, and try to find you something that would have low to no risk of certain side effects.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

I'm glad you specified in that order! I'm a little freaky--but not THAT freaky! haha
    C'mon. Be adventurous and do it reverse order! My wife complains about it, but I never mind.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    Unfortunately, with birth control, it's all trial and error. Every woman will react differently to every different pill and every different method. You won't know till you try. I know that sounds horrible lol, but it's the unfortunate truth. I've tried about five different methods of birth control, and every one of them resulted in severeeeeee depression. I didn't notice any difference in weight gain, but the depression was so overwhelming, I always had to come off.
  • kristalfrissy
    Options
    Personally I would speak with your gyno about what options there are for you since they can take into consideration your history with one method, your medical history in general, and try to find you something that would have low to no risk of certain side effects.

And I will. but I thought i would get some personal experiences as well. I know different things work for different people but I wanted to see what the general consensus was.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Sterilization is the way to go!! Just as effective as condoms, but way more fun.

I had a tubal ligation 11 years ago and haven't regretted it once.
  • kristalfrissy
    Options

C'mon. Be adventurous and do it reverse order! My wife complains about it, but I never mind.

not even when you kiss her later??? lol
  • goddamnelectric
    Options
    Implanon has been great for me. No need to remember pills and it doesn't hurt at all to have it put in. I did have migraines for the first month or two which was terrible, but I don't adjust to medication well sometimes. Oh, and it lasts 3 years, definitely a bonus if you're not wanting kids for a while.
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i get the shot and the weight gain that comes is no forever only until your body gets used to the hormone, but just FYI birth control and antibiotics don't mix, no one told me and now i have a everyday reminder
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

not even when you kiss her later??? lol
    I said my wife. I don't kiss her after or during sex. That's gross.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Did the pill and various variations there of for 17 years. I LOVE my IUD! no cycle, less PMS and more natural for your body.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Snip snip snip

His and hers
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I had the 5 year mirena IUD and it was perfect!!! :) It has hormones in it and the paraguard 10 year IUD doesn't. I think either IUD is the best to go with!!!!!!
  • MarCarCas
    MarCarCas Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The pill has been a dream for me. No weight gain, no cramps, no pms, barely noticeable periods, horrible acne cleared up, and im not anemic anymore

This has been the case for me, although everyone is different. I take Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo and it's great!