Ladies Only Please

Options
What do you ladies do to alleviate the horrible mood swings that accompany PMS?

I've always suffered from PMS since my teen years and while it's gotten better, I still suffer from it. Whereas when younger, it would manifest itself in the form of me lashing out at my parents nowadays it appears in the form of self-criticism. I find myself being overly-critical with my appearance and then doubting how far I've come with my progress or other areas of my RL. It just stinks, lol. And no, I'm not menopausal or even peri-menopausal - my doctor has checked me.

I'd love to hear what other people do to get through PMS-ing. TIA.

Replies

• MartinaC32
    MartinaC32 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have PMS too. I can always tell when its here because the smallest things annoy me in the biggest ways.

Fortunately I can talk myself out of making a huge deal out of things. I always remind myself that it's just the stupid PMS and to walk away from the situation that might escalate if I speak my mind.

I have also in the past taken Black Cohosh and Dandelion root. These have proven to help me greatly.

Don't let the stupid PMS tell you you're a failure. :)
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I had heard about Black Cohosh but not Dandelion Root. Do you take it when the symptoms start or like a week before?
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Exercise. Total mood stabilizer. Good music, a run outside (or on a dreadmill, if that's your thing). I come back feeling happier and better.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. Tylenol (hormone supressor). Aspirin (blood thinner - helps and don't care why). Exercise. Telling myself I control the monster. It does not control me. Seriously, I repeat it to myself when I start to realize I'm getting really p*ssy.

Good luck!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm going through that right now. Going to have chocolate.
  • samra2012
    samra2012 Posts: 715
    Options
    chocolate... and sleep! :laugh:
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I try to walk it off and take a hot bath. I don't get periods any more but I do get the lame PMS :-(
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate (more chocolatey goodness packed into fewer calories), exercise, and in my case, I am on low-dose birth control pills. They help.
  • WhatAgirl_
    WhatAgirl_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    sweets!
  • jiggalude
    jiggalude Posts: 53
    Options
    I hit a group fitness class at the gym. Seems to help until I get home. Honestly, I didn't know what it was really like until after having my daughter. I also take the pill to only have to deal with it 4 times a year. That helps the most. haha.
  • apreciosa
    apreciosa Posts: 3
    Options
    Evening primrose oil works wonders. It evens out my moods and I don't turn into "crazy lady" during PMS. Seems to have also helped some of my friends who are starting to experience menopause symptoms. I also agree that exercise and diet really does help.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    PMS is a bad little monster that I can not control. I just need to be away from people (Seriously), it can get very ugly :laugh: :sad:
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Premisyn PMS is the only thing I found to make me not feel like I am going to explode for a week.

I feel like a bottle of soda someone shook the hell out of then just set it on the counter. It is awful & I feel I have no control.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I yell at people and have been known to hit one or two who deserve it just for good measure. I feel awesome afterward.

:wink:
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. Tylenol (hormone supressor). Aspirin (blood thinner - helps and don't care why). Exercise. Telling myself I control the monster. It does not control me. Seriously, I repeat it to myself when I start to realize I'm getting really p*ssy.

Good luck!

My tired eyes completely skipped over the period and simply processed "chocolate tylenol". My next thought was, omg - I want some. :laugh:

ETA I think they could be onto something there though - market chocolate tylenol to all the ladies with monster PMS
  • Tara1090
    Tara1090 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Oh i turn into super ***** that whole week and a half! hahahah I get moody, cry over the stupidest things, eat like I have never seen food before and then yes, I have that same self-criticism about my weight and body shape, especially when I cant zip up any damn pants because I'm so bloated. I like to be alone during that time, just throw on some sweat pants and go for a walk or watch a good movie and of course have some ice cream and chocolate... hell if I wont have any when I feel like that! :)
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I don't even fight it anymore. I let nature take it's course and I unleash the beast! I also have to feed it extra carbs, sodium and something sweet to keep it moderately tamed. :bigsmile:
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Magnesium, magnesium , magnesium, raw cacao in a smoothie, exercise, listen to uplifting music, pat something fluffy that loves you.
    (did I mention magnesium?)
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    - Lots of water
    - Exercise
    - B6
    - L-Theanine
  • Latona38
    Latona38 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem and I have found that taking St. John's Wart has really helped keep me from being depressed and *****y (really no other way to explain it). I found that I do not have the short fuse and I don't let things get to me. It's great because it's natural and my ob-gyn said it was perfectly fine to take. I have no side effects and I take it daily and have for 3 months now.