Steel Cut Oats. I failed Miserably

Options

Replies

• Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    Thanks Everyone.

Learning to negotiate cooking without a stove has been an interesting journey. I usually manage.

Putting the berries in to early was my biggest downfall. I never thought I could cook them without a lid!

more experiementing
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    oats, water and spoon. I'm not joking. Suck it up and eat it that way, it's good for you. :D i repeat, i'm not joking
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about steel cut oats but I just have to say your post made me literally laugh out loud.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    oats, water and spoon. I'm not joking. Suck it up and eat it that way, it's good for you. :D i repeat, i'm not joking

Maybe rolled oats- but you wouldn't be able to digest steel cut oats I don't think...

and this sounds really gross, also.

ETA: Out of curiosity I just went and munched on a few dry steel cut oats. Its gross, but they're not as hard or as gross as I thought. You might be able to digest them.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options

Maybe rolled oats- but you wouldn't be able to digest steel cut oats I don't think...

We live in a society where everyone is a spoilt brat and wants all their food to taste yummy. I'm sorry, but it may be gross, but it's the most simplistic, fastest and easiest way for me to eat oats in the morning because of my hectic training schedule, i don't have time to cook up some fancy oat porridge with blue berries and honey
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    Hell Yeah I want my food to taste Yummy. No reason why it can't be healthy and yummy. You do it your way, I'll do it mine.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

We live in a society where everyone is a spoilt brat and wants all their food to taste yummy. I'm sorry, but it may be gross, but it's the most simplistic, fastest and easiest way for me to eat oats in the morning because of my hectic training schedule, i don't have time to cook up some fancy oat porridge with blue berries and honey

Wow- I guess I now know what to do if my spoiled brat self is forced to move to a society where I don't have 3 minutes to microwave rolled oats and I must eat unpalatable food.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Hell Yeah I want my food to taste Yummy. No reason why it can't be healthy and yummy. You do it your way, I'll do it mine.

uhm yeah! I didn't get fat eating food that tasted like crap, I'm not going to force myself to get skinny eating crap. That'll just make me want to eat tons of yummy food.
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You said you like meat for breakfast... this is a nonmeat option that my mom makes but it's filling and (in my opinion) yummy!

Oats (cook on the stove) with an egg cracked into it, strips of seaweed cooked into it, mushrooms, scallions, and whatever else your heart desires. It's thick, it's yummy, and it's filling.
  • juliesmom2
    juliesmom2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My dad always made steel cut oats in a thermos over night by pouring boilng water over the oats, battening down the lid and letting it stew for 5-6 hours....I just googled "cook steel cut oat thermos" and there are several sites with instructions.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    My dad always made steel cut oats in a thermos over night by pouring boilng water over the oats, battening down the lid and letting it stew for 5-6 hours....I just googled "cook steel cut oat thermos" and there are several sites with instructions.

Now that is a cool suggestion! Talk about on the go breakfast with no cooking!
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Wow- I guess I now know what to do if my spoiled brat self is forced to move to a society where I don't have 3 minutes to microwave rolled oats and I must eat unpalatable food.

I know I have much more than a lot of the world, but if I have a few minutes to make something taste good, I'm going to do it! Sounds like someone is a little grumpy from constantly eating gross, simplistic food!
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options

I know I have much more than a lot of the world, but if I have a few minutes to make something taste good, I'm going to do it! Sounds like someone is a little grumpy from constantly eating gross, simplistic food!

Well, we consume way too much of the world's energy, just as we consume way too much food. If everybody on MFP ate uncooked oats - not using that 1.5 minutes of energy - how much oil/natural gas/propane/coal would we save? I cook mine often but what if we didn't? What good could we do? Just thinking out loud....
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump!

going to try the slow cooker apple thing. that's sounds awesomesauce.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    This is great, I've been trying to find a no-cook method for steel cut outs. (not raw tho:sick: ) Thermos flask is a great idea!! My slow cooker is too big for one portion.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I make them all the time and soak them overnight. I boil water, put in the oats, cook for 3 minutes, cover and let sit all night. Then I warm them up in the morning at work. I've made them in the crockpot before but ended up with a boiled over mess. And yes, put the fruit in LAST not first. If it's dried fruit, i.e. cherries, cranberries, soak overnight too. If fresh like blueberries, put in LAST. If you try the crockpot again, do 1/2 a recipe and it won't boil over. i just think they get too soft in a crockpot. I much prefer the overnight soak.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is great, I've been trying to find a no-cook method for steel cut outs. (not raw tho:sick: ) Thermos flask is a great idea!! My slow cooker is too big for one portion.
    Steel cut oats freeze extremely well. I actually use a frozen brand more often than cooking them (Good Food Made Simple brand). So make a crockpot full and portion out into ramekins or something and freeze. They cook up great in the microwave and so much easier and so portable.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to doing one of the over night methods on here....
  • giantsr1
    giantsr1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Love this! Put everything in the crock pot the night before and in the morning it is ready <3 This comes from a site The Yummy Life - they had some other good recipes on there as well.

Slow Cooker, Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal
    By Monica Servings: 7 (3/4-cup) servings
    Ingredients
    2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
    1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
    1-1/2 cups water
    1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon ground flax seed
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter
    Directions
    Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.