Constant bloating and gas after meals.

Options
2»

Replies

• cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was recently diagnosed gluten intolerant and at the same time my doctor suggested I look at FODMOP - it is a list of foods that can cause digestive issues and another list of safer foods. I have discovered that I can't eat onions or peppers - these really wind up my digestive system beyond belief - I was a weapon of mass destruction when I ate chilli!!!! I have cut these out of my food completely and along with cutting out gluten the bloating and gas are completely gone. It is an elimination process still but you may look at the list and see something obvious. PS I bloated so much my boss thought I was pregnant!
  • sharonloraine
    sharonloraine Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • willy79
    willy79 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi. My partner has this problem too. It can be brought on by starches, wheat, dairy, rich sauces etc. The only way to find out is to stop something for a week and see if that helps. It can be a long process but worth while. You might not want to hear this but you should look into colon care and how to cleanse it. Sounds gross but it can really help you in an abundance of ways. Its even proven to boost energy and stop ppl taking bad headaches. Hope this helps. I know the bloating is probably painful but its how to do it urself. :-)
  • Charley316
    Options
    Try a mug of peppermint tea after meals.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Since you said you don't really do gluten (are you sure with the hidden sources? It might be worth cutting out completely), I would say try a probiotic food, such as yogurt, fermented veggies, or kombucha, or a supplement. It makes things run smoothly.
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Here are 2 very easy things you can do to help this.

1. Start taking a GOOD probiotic like Primal Defense (http://www.gardenoflife.com/ProductsforLife/SUPPLEMENTS/DigestiveHealth/PrimalDefense/tabid/638/Default.aspx) . You can get it at any health food store or online

2. Eat a pinch of caraway seed lunch and dinner. It really does help with gas and bloating.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i can't help with the cause, but i like to have a couple pieces of candied ginger and peppermint tea when i feel icky.
  • Jasminevi
    Options
    Artificial Sweeteners. I was having the same problem and tried excluding things from my diet with no success. In an article by Dr, Oz, he mentioned Artificial Sweeteners as a cause of gas and bloating. I hadn't thought of the 1 packet of Stevia that I have in my morning coffee, but as soon as I switched back to sugar the problem went away. Also, a lot of low fat cereals contain Splenda, just an FYI
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I could be a particular thing in your diet too. I had the same thing happen to me late last year. Gas so bad and painful I thought I would end up in the emergency room. I started eliminating a particular food for a whole week. Found out I'm really sensitive to oats. I miss my oatmeal, but not the gas!!
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I've had a good experience with this:

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=654&prodid=872&cid=243

Not gone, but reduced alot.

Hope it helps.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Eat....more.....fat

(In neon, blinking lights)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've had a good experience with this:

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=654&prodid=872&cid=243

Not gone, but reduced alot.

Hope it helps.
    Holy necropsying to push a product batman.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I'm too tired to read all of this but the title reminds me of how I felt before I found out I was lactose intolerant. Try having 2-3 lactose pill s ("dairy relief" from the pharmacy) with your food and see if it helps. If so, there's your answer.
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sorry for replying this really old message but I may help all of you.

First of all try removing ALL dairy from meals, that includes all the dairy that is hidden in so many packed and prepared foods. If you want you can give a try to raw milk, I can drink that milk without any issue, the other milk just makes me have pain and gas immediately.

Secondly, if you don't notice any effect, then switch to remove ALL the grains, following the same rules, be aware that what and soy are pretty much in everything that comes in a box, and don't forget that wheat is not the only grain with gluten, so basically, 0 grains.

You also need to reduce the protein and fat intake at any given meal, do not eat more than 3-6 ounces of protein source per meal and try to keep fat around 25 gr or less, if you can try 0 fat and just protein and vice versa would be cool.

That is because too much protein and fat cause stress on the liver, and here is the thing, if non of those things worked, you probably have a bile problem, so adding bile salts to your meals should help.

http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/Jarrow-Formulas-Bile-Acid-Factors-90-Capsules/172/?p=1

If you notice improvement with that it means that your liver needs a breath, it is better to eat more smaller meals, tons of veggies, specially cruciferous and cut alcohol and stress, not to mention fake foods and crap full of estrogen.

If nothing works then look for more advice lol
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that you have to also watch the gassy veggies, just try experimenting here and there with things that produce gas and intolerances or allergies, have a food intolerance test or try the bile salts, because without enough bile you can't digest fats and fat-soluble vitamins.