Ladies only, I have a personal question.

Options
1235»

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I usually don't do any type of workout other than a 30 minute low-intensity walk or bike ride on day 1 of my period. I've tried doing regular high intensity and low intensity workouts during this time, and I find for me I don't really get any cramp relief from exercise.

I used to get really bad cramps, but now they aren't as intense though there's still discomfort. I hate when other people (women usually) look down and say not to use your period as an "excuse" to skip your workout, for me it's because I have very low energy on the first day of my period, sometimes the day before or after too, and I don't see the sense in working out if I'm that low energy. I think listening to your body is best, despite what other people do.
  • sarahbethfit233
    Options
    It usually helps for me, if I do a high intensity walk. I usually don't feel like doing strength training stuff, but if you push through the pain on the first day, it always lessens my cramps. It may be different for me, because I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, but it may work for you too. Good luck!
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    honestly i do the same stuff, but i dont tend to cramp badly. if i did, i might lessen it some...walk instead of jog or something. :)
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    If this has been addressed, sorry...

For those of you wanting to try yoga during your "lady's holiday," some yoga instructors suggest avoiding inverted poses at this time.

http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/831
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I am on TOM day 2 and did day 5 of Insanity. Lets just say, i made it 25 min in and could not do another second. My body was just exhausted. I say if you can push throught it, if not lower the workout to a walk or bike walk. DONT STOP working out though.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Well... I do about 20 mins of running on the treadmill every day, ordinarily at 6.0 on the treadmill, (which isn't fast, but whatever). During TOM, I tend to lower the speed to 5.5. Then I will usually move to the weight machines & do legs & arms only (no abs/back/chest because it's too sensitive). Some days I switch it up & use the recumbent bike instead (I like the recumbent because it doesn't strain my abs/back as much as a standard bike, due to the back rest).

I also have an Ovarian Cyst that's too big to burst, & need surgery... so I guess I'm a special case. When TOM is close/happening, it's swollen to about the size of a tennis ball, right inside my pelvic bone & pushing against my bladder. It's pretty painful for the week before & the week during... but I stick it out anyway.

My philosophy is... the pain isn't ME. *I* didn't put it there, I didn't ask for it... I won't allow it to affect me, or my life, or my activities (well... some days its REALLY hard to stick to that goal, but it's what I strive for).

I refuse to allow pain to tell me what to do. Good luck on your journey!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I think you should switch tampon brands for something in a sport model...

I haven't had a leak in about 10 years....
  • KettleBellHoe
    Options
    the exercise makes my pain go away
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    About a million years ago, my husband read a magazine article in Cosmo that indicated orgasm was a good cure for cramps, headaches, stress and sadness. Before he'd offer a Tylenol or Advil, he's offering alone time. It works quite well, I admit. I take 24-active day birth control pills (generic Yaz) and usually the cramps are brutal 2 days before the flow starts. Its been the same experience on and off the pill. I typically go about my normal routine - working out, eating, etc. - but I spend time with a heating pad too.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I still work out. I still TRY to eat well, but I have depression and it definitely gets worse during my cycle. That being said, I work out as hard as I can but find that I am exhausted afterward. I tend to "blow it" a bit on the last day of my cycle food-wise, then the next day I get back on track. Exercise can lessen cramping...the cramping is less than before I started getting back in shape. The rest, not so much.
  • Pomoch325
    Pomoch325 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Can't wait until I lose enough weight to actually have this problem. I miss you, Aunt Flo :cry:
  • virginiawebbjr
    Options
    Hi have also found that a workout (lighter for me because I also cramp bad) is helpful to make my flow stop sooner & although I would not say my cramps hurt less I will say they are easier for me to deal with.
    I did want to mention something NOT to scare but to inform. There were a few ladies who mentioned that they are having lighter flows or minimal cramps & almost no monthly to speak of...A pregnancy test maybe something to invest in. Women who loose weight after being heavy (mostly obese women) have a higher chance of pregnancy. My midwife, Doula, Doctor & mother (nurse) warned me to be extra careful if I don't want to become pregnant right away. Even a loss of only 10 lbs or so can cause an obese woman to "throw" an egg. Fat has hormones & hormones control the eggs...lol.
    A "light" flow or shortned flow can be a sign of pregnancy as well as improved health. I had a light flow my first 3 months of pregnancy. Just food for thought.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my periods have improved since I got healthy. I went on birth control to lessen my cramps and lighten my period several years back, but it was still fairly heavy and I still got less painful cramps from time to time. But since I started exercising and eating right, I almost never get moody, have cramps, have food cravings, and my period is lighter and shorter. Honestly, now my period doesn't even effect my workouts. I start my period on Mondays, which also happen to be my long run days. I ran seven miles this Monday, when I started, and it wasn't even a big deal.

I think a lot of it is mental, honestly. We expect to have cramps, mood swings, or cravings, and so we do, or use it as an excuse. Obviously that's not always true (I know, I used to get killer cramps), but I think getting over that hurdle and just sucking it up and working out anyway is a hugely important step.
  • SarLem81
    SarLem81 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wow. I don't get cramps that bad, so my TOM doesn't affect my workout much. It's harder to get started, but once I'm going I'm fine. Maybe you should try a lot of good stretching before getting into a workout to help work the area before you push your body altogether in a workout?
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I get really bad cramps, so I just walk on my period.

Granted, I walk pretty often anyway, but I definitely wouldn't cycle, do crunches, or swim. :grumble:
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Exercise usually helps cramps
    This is what I've found. If I can get myself to workout (sometimes I just want to prop my feet up until the pain dies down!) I always feel better. I especially find doing situps/crunches makes it feel better.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have to take it light. If I'm just feeling too horrible and know the workout isn't going to go well then I just take a forced rest day and let my body recover from my previous workouts since I don't take enough rest days anyways.