Couch-to-5K - Who's In?

Options

Replies

• weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I actually found the info on that last night, I am starting tomorrow. So I am in!!!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy (how do I scream in terror????) Tomorrow is dreaded W5D3! I am SO scared! I know that I can do it on the treadmill but am not at all sure if I can do it on the track! It should be 65 degrees and 75% humidity when I do it so hopefully that won't be a problem.

At what percentage of humidity, do you call it too much to run in? I could handle running in a light rain; I just have trouble running when it is so humid that I can't breathe when I'm not running much less when I am running!!!
  • johnny_66
    johnny_66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just finished W5D3 the 20 minute run. The NHS.UK podcasts are a big help, Love the British accent Laura has when she gives you little pep talks and advice.
  • jesstiger81
    jesstiger81 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy (how do I scream in terror????) Tomorrow is dreaded W5D3! I am SO scared! I know that I can do it on the treadmill but am not at all sure if I can do it on the track! It should be 65 degrees and 75% humidity when I do it so hopefully that won't be a problem.

At what percentage of humidity, do you call it too much to run in? I could handle running in a light rain; I just have trouble running when it is so humid that I can't breathe when I'm not running much less when I am running!!!

I feel ya Deb. I live in LA so there's no way I am running outside during this summer heat/humidity! I really think you should make sure you're not dreading it or feeling like you're gonna die. Even if you're taking tiny steps and jogging really slowly. The cooler air helps, but I totally know how it is with the humidity. How did you do?

I just finished week 5 today! Whew! I did stop at 19 minutes just to get some water and rest a little, then I ran the remaining 6 minutes of the running part. I am a little bummed that I didn't run it straight without stopping, but I know I am still working up to it. I am glad that the start of week 6 kinda backs things off a little bit... after today, two 5-minute runs and a 7-minute run seem easy!

Also, good job Johnny finishing week 5!

I just registered for our local Race for the Cure yesterday. I am a team captain and hope to recruit lots of runners/walkers and raise some money for this great cause.

Today I am rewarding my hard work with a trip to the Clinique counter for a makeover and to buy a little makeup!
  • hannahchiarella
    hannahchiarella Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Im in.Ive just found out about this programme and think its great! I'll be starting on Sunday too and doing the three workouts on sundays wednesdays and fridays! I cant run hardly at all at the moment without feeling like im going to fall over so WHEN i achieve 30 minutes of nonstop running im going to be extremely proud of myself!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I feel ya Deb. I live in LA so there's no way I am running outside during this summer heat/humidity! I really think you should make sure you're not dreading it or feeling like you're gonna die. Even if you're taking tiny steps and jogging really slowly. The cooler air helps, but I totally know how it is with the humidity. How did you do?

I just finished week 5 today! Whew! I did stop at 19 minutes just to get some water and rest a little, then I ran the remaining 6 minutes of the running part. I am a little bummed that I didn't run it straight without stopping, but I know I am still working up to it. I am glad that the start of week 6 kinda backs things off a little bit... after today, two 5-minute runs and a 7-minute run seem easy!

Also, good job Johnny finishing week 5!

I just registered for our local Race for the Cure yesterday. I am a team captain and hope to recruit lots of runners/walkers and raise some money for this great cause.

Today I am rewarding my hard work with a trip to the Clinique counter for a makeover and to buy a little makeup!

I got through W5D3 as designed. I kept my pace to 5MPH which was my goal. The first quarter of a mile almost killed me! I was running into a heavy breeze and could actually feel it pushing me back! I also was having a horrible time breathing. I think that the humidity was around 87% (not the 75% predicted) and my nose is totally stuffed up....probably allergies. I'm still having a hard time breathing today just sitting here on the 'puter. I really had to push myself to jog the entire jogging 20 minutes but I told myself that if I didn't make it through it all, I would have to fess up and tell you guys and I didn't want to do that so I persevered! I am really proud of myself for getting it done. I can't decide if I'm going to start week 6 tomorrow or Monday. There is a group home that goes to the track on M, W, F mornings and they really inspire me to keep on going. They weren't there on Th so I'm not sure if they only go the 3 days a week or if they were on an outing.
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey all I am doing something different. I started with c25k but it was way too hard on my knees so I dug around and found this. I start week 2 Monday and I am so proud. I ran 3 minutes straight and that is huge for me. When I started I could barely do. 30 seconds. Here is the link if any of you need to go slower. http://www.fromcouchto5k.com/articles/training/the-couch-to-5k-training-plan/
  • Precious75134
    Precious75134 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would like to do this...I am about to be done with an eleven week challenge in the next two weeks and I was looking for another really challenging activity to compete in. I was just looking for 5k races to sign up for in my City...This group competition should help train and build stamina.
  • cartwoman
    cartwoman Posts: 64
    Options
    I just did week 7 day 1 and I wouldn't say it's getting easy, but I am quite proud I can run for 25 minutes now :) I just need to work on speed in a few weeks. No clue how to start doing that :o
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i want to try this, but i dont know if i will get past week 2, at 250lbs, i try to do one min jog one min walk and it gets really hard..

Just do what you can do and you will find that the weight comes off and it gets easier (it really does!!!!). If you need to repeat a week, go ahead and do so. Keep your running speed SLOW. If you have access to a treadmill, use it because on a treadmill you can not start going faster without making a conscious decision to do so. Try to do your running at no more than 4MPH. Keep your brisk walking slow enough that you are not out of breath when it comes time to run again. Don't believe that you are not going to be able to complete the next workout but go in believing that you can. If you truly cannot get through the next workout, then go back to the previous workout and do that for a day or two and then proceed forward again.

Even if you stay at Week 1 for a month or more, just keep doing it 3x a week and DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!
    Thank you for this information. It actually saves me posting a question. I started the C25K yesterday -- W1D1 on the treadmill using the RunDouble program on my android. I was doing 3 to 3.5 as my brisk walk and 4.5 mph for my run, but it was very challenging. I found my heart rate hitting the "high" level on the treadmill (maybe 150-160). By the end, I couldn't do the run, so just kept walking at around 3.2 mph.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I started this morning with week one , day 1. I am not sure how to post this on my excercise logs. Any tips?

I have a pedometer app on my phone. I start it when I head out to walk. Then once Im doing, I launch the C25k app. When Im done with my work out, I use the info from the pedometer app to input the exercise. The app tells me how long I was out, my average speed, calories burned. Works great.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I got through week one, saw into week 2, and had to take time off because of HORRIBLE shin splints. I took all of last week off, didn't walk or anything. Im going to try tonight- and go back to w1d3.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Im in...I just listened to a podcast that discussed proper running form while walking. I would like to try out the "running on toes" suggestion. You land on the balls of your feet and push off using the toes. Like to get to a full 5k so I can enter (and finish) local runs. :smile:
  • jumptothebeat
    jumptothebeat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone just checking in again! I love reading how you are all getting on!

I completed w5 d 2 this morning - did 8 mins run 1 and then 10 mins run 2 ( I always try and push it a bit on the second run to prep me for the ext step). But, despite this I am still nervous about the 20 mins run on Friday! I'm determined to do it though.

Does anyone else find that the first 4 minutes of running are the hardest? After that I get set in some kind of pattern and by the end am fairly comfortable....is that normal lol??
  • nikkia65forlife
    nikkia65forlife Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try to it. I'll show the program to my husband. It will be fun to do it together. Thanks :happy:
  • kerchki
    kerchki Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For the person who asked about sore knees:

Go to a running store and have them evaluate what sneakers are the best for you. You don't have to buy the shoes from them if they're too expensive, but good running shoes are a must!
  • cartwoman
    Options

Does anyone else find that the first 4 minutes of running are the hardest? After that I get set in some kind of pattern and by the end am fairly comfortable....is that normal lol??

I have the exact same thing! It's like all my muscles are screaming and my breathing is really bad, after that it goes a lot smoother! Happy to hear I'm not the only one :)
  • jesstiger81
    jesstiger81 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 6! Wow! Ran 25 minutes straight (well, jogged) and can't believe it. I am ready for a relaxing weekend. The next 3 weeks for me are long runs, so I need to rest up for Monday!

FYI, I am only jogging at 4mph until I get used to running for a long time with no walking in between. Before the 25 minute run, I was going at 4.5mph. But, I want endurance right now. So for those of you who feel like your pace is not effective, it is! Good rule of thumb: If you can run slower, you are running too fast! Trust me, this program is so much more rewarding and fun if you take it slower than you think you should.

On a down note, my left knee is starting to bother me some. It doesn't seem to bother me while I'm doing my thing on the treadmill, just afterwards. I may see if hubby will buy me some running shoes, because I'm positive it's the shoes I'm wearing. I have started to ice my knee down 1x/day so we'll see... maybe two consecutive days of rest will help.

Hope everyone else had a great week!!
  • cartwoman
    Options
    Finished week 7 and starting week 8 on Monday :o I never thought I would be able to run this long. I just have no idea what to do after I'm finished. I want to do Bridge to 10 K, but when should I do that? Immediately after the c25k programme or should I work on my speed first for a month or two?
  • lythiam
    lythiam Posts: 32
    Options
    I did my fifth day of week one today :)