Switching it up

Options
2»

Replies

• pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    PMKELLY09, what would you like help with I can suggest some things for you to do

I want to get out of Bodypump class and start weight training on my own (due to the limited class schedule), but I am completely overwhelmed by all the lingo/terms! e.g. you said something to Banks about a 2:1 ratio with respects to his THR. I didn't understand this...I have a new HRM, so I would like to use it properly in conjunction with increased toning. I am at a good weight and my BMI is 23. I can run 4 miles consistently.

I am comfortable with how to use the machines but I need more info on how many reps, rest, etc. All anyone ever told me was 10-12 reps with 2 minutes rest inbetween.

Did you read my post about where I am weight wise in Bodypump class? I can do 20 lbs for the entire class with exception for biceps/triceps I can only do 15lbs. So when I get to the machines should I set them for the same weight and do about the same amount of reps?

I am a pretty good internet "browser" so if there are particularly good links you know of that will head me in the right direction, that would be great too.

I am saving for a big vacation at the end of May and I just cannot afford to spend on a trainer right now. I can and will be able to do that later this summer, but I want to get started now.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    When I first started the gym, I was using the elliptical and same weight program exclusively. I stopped seeing results so I started going to the fitness classes offered by my gym at UNLV. This way, I don't have mental burnout and my body doesn't become accustom to the same workout.

My new switched up schedule looks like this, each class lasts for 65 minutes:

Monday:
    Step'n'Strengthen - This class incorporates heavy step aerobics and weight training/core work. Every Monday we kick up the cardio to make it harder.

Tuesday:
    Cardio Kickboxing: The instructor likes to add bootcamp into her kickboxing routine. We did lunges and bear walks up and down the room last class.
    Cardio Cabaret- sexy dance class.

Wednesday:
    Step Interval / The CORE

Thursday:
    Cardio Kickboxing

Friday:
    TGIF- random class from the exercise schedule. So far it has been Zumba, Total Body Express, Cardio kickboxing, interval training, and step aerobics.

Saturday:
    Pilates & light step aerobics
  • jfiscer
    jfiscer Posts: 24
    Options
    hey banks, you mentioned your BMI is 24% now. If you don't mind me asking, what was
    it before you started working out and eating right?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    hey banks, you mentioned your BMI is 24% now. If you don't mind me asking, what was
    it before you started working out and eating right?

right about 29.5 so just under officially obese. :noway:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hey banks! It's great that you're making a change...it's definitely necessary to keep progressing. However, looking at your program, I thought I'd point some things out.
    When you train core, although you may be using resistance, there's no reason to add glutes if you have a leg day. Glutes are your hip extenders, so any time you go from sitting/squatting to standing, you're using them. By removing that from your ab day, you'll have time to work arms; triceps work will help your game in baseball since elbow extension is a big part of throwing, and if you're working triceps you have to work biceps as well. On your chest day, make sure that you're focusing equally on your chest and back. Creating strength disparities can cause injury and simple discomfort; for instance, if your pectorals are much stronger than your rhomboids or traps, your shoulders will actually draw forward and cause a lot of strain and pain in your rhomboids and traps. You don't have to avoid shoulder work because of baseball..in fact, it's really important to strengthen your RC muscles/tendons/ligaments. When you throw, your whole body is creating force, and those tiny muscles have to aim it and absorb most of it when you bring your arm down across your body after the throw. Do a lot of medial and lateral rotation to strengthen those SITS muscles.

Just my .02 :happy:
  • alimassa
    alimassa Posts: 275
    Options

wish me luck, I'm shooting for a body fat % of around 12% or less by end of summer. I'm at about 15.2% right now, I think it's doable.

ok...i am going to have a girl moment here.....12% body fat?????? why is it that men can shoot for 12% body fat and i would cut off my right leg to break 20%? sigh...

ok..i am done now.....GOOD LUCK BANKS! hope you make it!

:drinker:

Ali
  • banks1850
    Options
    Cool thanks sbs! I was always afraid of doing upper body work during the season, not so much for wearing out, but because I need full extension and didn't want my muscles to tighten up. I've seen pitcher who work too much upper body during the season and they always came up lame some time during the season. But I guess if I work lighter weight and just do more reps I should be fine right?

I'll definitely try to work some arms and chest/back into my routine.

I just wish I had more time to do the workouts. By the time I get home from work it's already 7:00 and I just don't have the time left to go to the gym (I gotta be out of the house around 6:00 am because my commute is about 1.5 hours each way every day) which means I gotta be in bed by around 9:30 or 10 latest and that would leave me no time to eat and actually unwind from my job. So I take my lunch at my desk and use the 45 minutes I get for lunch to go to our office gym (which is actually quite good). Which is why my workouts are so short and hard core. I don't have time to do iso type workouts because It wouldn't leave me time to do everything, so I try to do exercises that target multiple groups when I can. I think I know a few good upper workouts that target multiple muscles though so I think I'll be ok.

It's funny, my upper body is stellar, dunno why, I just always had good arms, shoulders, obliques, traps, and chest. It's always been my legs and lower back that were weak. I have shaped up my lower back quite nicely (amazing how fast core work builds your core up), still trying to get my legs better (there a little more stubborn)
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    Options

WARNING Self-indulgent!!! I also like to feel appreciated, which is one of the reasons I like to share all my info on line here. It's not the only reason, I'm not THAT narcisistic, I also like confirmation of my info, and really do feel like to help if I find out pertenant information that I can share, but at least a small part of it is the knowledge that people find me learned on the subject of health and fitness. I guess pride is one of my vices! :ohwell:

Banks, I love your transparency, your vulnerability, this admission that you JUST MIGHT be a little narcisistic...ETC! >>>>>> most of us are too prideful to admit we are prideful!!! :laugh: Or, as my dear old dad's favorite song goes, "Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way..."
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Cool thanks sbs! I was always afraid of doing upper body work during the season, not so much for wearing out, but because I need full extension and didn't want my muscles to tighten up. I've seen pitcher who work too much upper body during the season and they always came up lame some time during the season. But I guess if I work lighter weight and just do more reps I should be fine right?

I just wish I had more time to do the workouts. By the time I get home from work it's already 7:00 and I just don't have the time left to go to the gym (I gotta be out of the house around 6:00 am because my commute is about 1.5 hours each way every day) which means I gotta be in bed by around 9:30 or 10 latest and that would leave me no time to eat and actually unwind from my job. So I take my lunch at my desk and use the 45 minutes I get for lunch to go to our office gym (which is actually quite good). Which is why my workouts are so short and hard core. I don't have time to do iso type workouts because It wouldn't leave me time to do everything, so I try to do exercises that target multiple groups when I can. I think I know a few good upper workouts that target multiple muscles though so I think I'll be ok.

It's funny, my upper body is stellar, dunno why, I just always had good arms, shoulders, obliques, traps, and chest. It's always been my legs and lower back that were weak. I have shaped up my lower back quite nicely (amazing how fast core work builds your core up), still trying to get my legs better (there a little more stubborn)

Actually, resistance training through a full ROM doesn't cause a decrease in flexibility, and activity will help maintain your flexibility, while flexibility training specifically will increase it. Just make sure you warm up and stretch pre and post lifting. You should use a type of resistance training that fits your sport-specific needs. Do you need endurance? Then use light weights and high reps (~15-20). Do you need strength? Then use heavier weights and lower reps (5-6). You probably don't want size if you're concerned about muscular bulk interfering with flexbility, so you probably don't want the 8-12 rep range.

A good workout doesn't need to be a long one. I never lift longer than 40 minutes and I reach fatigue in that timeframe. Either I use light weight with very short rests and circuits if I'm on an endurance cycle, or very heavy weight with longer rests but lower volume if I'm on a strength cycle. It's about quality, not quantity. You don't need to do more than 2-3 sets, and rests/reps depend on the type of training you're doing. Larger muscle groups can get a little more work, smaller need a little less, and your workouts should reflect that. My shoulder day is 20 min of lifting; back day is up around 35, just as an example.

I know you really like the research, so I think you'd probably enjoy reading an NSCA or ACSM book to perfect your program design, especially as an athlete. I got mine from www.half.com for pretty cheap...just check for NSCA or ACSM, I have both study books and use them a TON!
  • banks1850
    Options

Actually, resistance training through a full ROM doesn't cause a decrease in flexibility, and activity will help maintain your flexibility, while flexibility training specifically will increase it. Just make sure you warm up and stretch pre and post lifting. You should use a type of resistance training that fits your sport-specific needs. Do you need endurance? Then use light weights and high reps (~15-20). Do you need strength? Then use heavier weights and lower reps (5-6). You probably don't want size if you're concerned about muscular bulk interfering with flexbility, so you probably don't want the 8-12 rep range.

A good workout doesn't need to be a long one. I never lift longer than 40 minutes and I reach fatigue in that timeframe. Either I use light weight with very short rests and circuits if I'm on an endurance cycle, or very heavy weight with longer rests but lower volume if I'm on a strength cycle. It's about quality, not quantity. You don't need to do more than 2-3 sets, and rests/reps depend on the type of training you're doing. Larger muscle groups can get a little more work, smaller need a little less, and your workouts should reflect that. My shoulder day is 20 min of lifting; back day is up around 35, just as an example.

I know you really like the research, so I think you'd probably enjoy reading an NSCA or ACSM book to perfect your program design, especially as an athlete. I got mine from www.half.com for pretty cheap...just check for NSCA or ACSM, I have both study books and use them a TON!

I'll definitely check those books out. Thanks lady!