Do you ever go over your daily calorie limit?

Options
13»

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    yes. do I let it bother me? no.
  • Darlel
    Darlel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    yes, probably once a week in fact. But review your meals and check to understand exactly why you went over. (stress eating, miscalculation, party situation ect) Like others have said, don't fret over it, move on.
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    Options
    So far I only have once, and the only reason I did was because I went out with friends, and they picked an unhealthy place to eat dinner at so I didn't really have a choice. But it didn't really bother me since I ate healthy the entire day til that point.
  • AWME
    AWME Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes, and I don't think it matters. I estimate that over by 250 is still within the losing range. And I allow myself to "bank" calories if I go under one day, and use them within the week if I go over, don't exercise one day, etc.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly always over it by 300-400 if not more. That's the reason I keep the daily goal low, so the higher red numbers I see, the better I control myself. Just need some carb control.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    No. But it's a personal choice. Have been using MFP since the end of March and I haven't once gone over the goal. I've never been a snacker or a particularly big eater so I don't find it that hard to stay under the calorie goal each day. Do what works for you. What other people do doesn't really matter.
  • fordies
    fordies Posts: 14
    Options
    I go over about once a week but it's only a little over and for the other 6 days of the week I more than make up for it. I have had some decent results since using it and me going over once every few days hasn't had any major effect on my weight loss.
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    It's not just about calories, as all calories are not created equal.

If you're eating cheeseburgers & fries all day, then yes it totally matters. If you're doing your best to eat greens, fruits, veggies, and making smart chocies then no.

A little extra every 4 days or so is actually good; give the body a little extra so it will stay in fat burning mode and not go into starvation mode.
  • Minkyboodle86
    Minkyboodle86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've read it actually helps with weight loss to have splurge days, boosting metabolism and keeping the body from going into starvation mode.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've read it actually helps with weight loss to have splurge days, boosting metabolism and keeping the body from going into starvation mode.

You will not go into starvation mode by sticking to the calorie goal. Starvation mode is the biggest load of nonsense on these forums. If you have fat to burn a calorific deficit will burn it unless there is some sort of medical condition preventing this from happening.
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Yes, Usually when I go out to a club or BBQ. Most of the time when alcohol is involved, so is overeating. That plus the calories from the alcohol itself usually does me over. Yesterday we celebrated Fathers Day, and I had a lobster and tenderloin dinner (who doesn't dip lobster in butter?) so it added up quickly. I was over my maintenance calorie limit by more than 600 Cals. I always make up for it though the next two days by cutting out enough fats and carbs.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I've only been using this site for about a week now, but I go over by a little bit probably more often than not, but I also think it estimates my daily calorie limit as lower than it should be. Also on days when do cardio exercise, I seem to go pretty significantly under my limit since I burn a lot of calories, and so on my average I'm still under my limit.

Anyway, yeah, I wouldn't fret about being above your limit for a day. Remember, if you set your goal to lose a pound per week, your daily calorie limit is 500 below your maintenance level, so if you eat 100 calories more than your limit, you're still 400 calories below maintaining your weight.

This. I have a 1000 calorie deficit so even if I eat over 800 what MFP gives me, I know I'm still eating under maintenence.
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I've only been using this site for about a week now, but I go over by a little bit probably more often than not, but I also think it estimates my daily calorie limit as lower than it should be. Also on days when do cardio exercise, I seem to go pretty significantly under my limit since I burn a lot of calories, and so on my average I'm still under my limit.

Anyway, yeah, I wouldn't fret about being above your limit for a day. Remember, if you set your goal to lose a pound per week, your daily calorie limit is 500 below your maintenance level, so if you eat 100 calories more than your limit, you're still 400 calories below maintaining your weight.

This. I have a 1000 calorie deficit so even if I eat over 800 what MFP gives me, I know I'm still eating under maintenence.

Is that safe to be eating so much less than your maintenance? I've found that eating so little usually just kicks you in the *kitten* in the long run, because of rebound hunger/binges....
  • shirleyhud
    shirleyhud Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I dont know what happened to my calorie counter, i used to be at 1700 and now im at 1200, but I usually am over every day but still around the original 1700